I cant get to grips with energy flow

Discussion in 'Ninjutsu' started by eudobex, Aug 24, 2004.

1. eudobex

eudobex New Member

I have been doing Ninjutsu for about six months but I still can't get to grips with this energy flow busness. And also whats all the stuff about water, fire etc?

8th kue

2. Keikai

Keikai Banned Banned

I would not worry too much in the uk about the elemental stuff, its not greatly used here in the bujinkan, and what do you mean about the energy flow? do you mean using the attackers energy against them? or your internal energy etc?

3. xplasma

xplasma Banned Banned

The Elemental energy is as follows:

Chi (Earth) : You should be rooted and steady. You enemies should feel like he just attacked a tree or a mountain.

Sui (Water) : Defensive Energy. You should retreat like the waves on the shore, only to come crashing back in like lightning from the heavens.

Ka(Fire) : Offensive Energy. Fear not the enemy attack, simply over take them as a fire does a forest.

Fu (Wind) : Graceful presence, Don't block the enemies attack, just move then come in like a string gust. Your enemy shold fell like he is fighting the storm.

Ku (Void) : Nothing, and the potential for everything. The interplay between truth and falsehood.

4. eudobex

eudobex New Member

Cheers that stuff about the elemental energy was exactly what i wanted to know, I printed it off and now have it pined on my board, so all I need to do now is remember it.

Thanks

5. Krum

Krum The Walking Bruise

To be honest, an 8th kyu should have a basic grasp of the different energies of ninjutsu.

6. Keikai

Keikai Banned Banned

Why?

Its not so widely taught in the uk, a lot of teachers find it of little use.

7. Krum

Krum The Walking Bruise

Are we not learning a classical martial art and everything that it entails? I don't know about you but we are taught pure, authentic ninpo and the feelings and emotions that come with the elements. Try going to the hombu and telling soke that the elements are "of little use"......

8. shinbushi

shinbushi Reaver

The Elements are taught by SKH has nothing to do with the Bujinkan. The confusion arises in that the Gogyo aka the Sanshin aka the Goshin no kata have the same names. You do not infuse any of the feeling that is part of SKH Godai.

9. Keikai

Keikai Banned Banned

To the point, many thanks,

This is right, it was born from Hayes, some teachers keep it going but a large percentage of current teachers do not use it and i dont think Hatsumi uses it much, i will check and let you know.

10. manchesterdojo

manchesterdojo Valued Member

Hello,

Hayes did get the Go-dai from Soke, but you will now find Soke referring to it as the Rokku-dai. The 5 elements listed as the Go-dai are direct interpretations of human emotion. Earth (confidence), water (fear/defensiveness), fire (aggression), wind (evasiveness/surprise), void (creativity). The idea is to first recognise these emotions in yourself and then use correct movements to fit in with these elements. Certain Kamae fit with each emotion at a basic level but, as with many principles in the bujinkan, cross over as you start to understand the elements. It is often confused with sanshin but should not be. 2 Very different ideas.

Hope this helps

11. xplasma

xplasma Banned Banned

Remeber that Go-Dai and Sanshin No Kata are related. When done correctly, Sanshin No Kata does deal with the feeling of Go Dai. For example Chi no Kata (Form of Earth) when done is the true Gyokko Ryu style in a simple rooted step out and a 3/5 finger strike to the bladder area. Very rooted and Earth like. The problem is Sanshin no Kata is so water down in the Bujnkan its lost all meaning. I learned Sanshin no Kata from some who has a Menkyo Kaiden in Gyokko Ryu. Its very different then what I'v seen when in my stay at the Bujinkan.

12. manchesterdojo

Probably misunderstood what I meant by not getting the 2 confused. The sanshin and go dai work together but the basic principles that beginners should understand from studying them are different. With a progression in training the student should combine the 2 and internalise them.

13. Keikai

Keikai Banned Banned

Agreed,

I think that the elemental parts should be studied and understood but not made a basis for your kamae or techniques.

14. manchesterdojo

Kamae translates as mind and body attitude. This, in itself, hints at emotional content of the postures and techniques. Combat is emotional and kamae are representations of emotions. If you don't understand your elements and how they tie in to and help your kamae then your technique will suffer.

Our training programme starts with the elements and attaches one to each of 4 basic postures (void is creative and therefore pulls in any of the kamae). Once the student understands this we then start mixing up emotions and kamae and look at the more tactical kamae of the bujinkan ryu.

15. Keikai

Keikai Banned Banned

Its amazing how under the same banner of the bujinkan how many do it differently!!

16. manchesterdojo

Completely agree! I think that is what makes is so unique.

17. Brad Ellin

Brad Ellin Baba

Ain't that the truth! And wait until you travel as much as I have. The differences really become apparent when you visit different countries.

18. Keikai

Keikai Banned Banned

I was thinking about joking about the yanks at this point but.....

19. Brad Ellin

Brad Ellin Baba

Go ahead, you know you wanna :p

20. eudobex

eudobex New Member

I know I should no the elements by now, and I did no the jist of them i just wanted to make sure I fully understood it. Thanks for the help, but no thanks for the nagging.

Cheers

8th Kye and pround