I came here to grow as a warrior

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Yo Feng Lung, Dec 27, 2012.

1. peterc8455

peterc8455 Valued Member

Thank you for being so forthcoming.

Do you know where your Aikido instructor who was visiting trained in Japan or what organization/group he is from?

2. gapjumper

gapjumper Intentionally left blank

Foiled again! Bah

3. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

I'd love to see some Youtube videos!

4. Feng Lung

Feng Lung Valued Member

Honestly all I remember is that he was from the Hombo Dojo (spelling may not be correct) I'm sure he said but to me it wasn't important, at the time! He had knowledge that I wanted to learn, & the ability to execute it. I absorbed as much as I could before he had to go home! (I think he was supervising some telecon. overhalls or something like that)

5. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

OK,

So according to your previous posts;

Aikido
    San Daiki had taught me.(you) Hombo Dojo
    The Kansas City Aikido School with Larry and Roy Graham,

Pai Lum, Xeou Lum, Pai Family Taichi and Wu Hsing Quan,
    James Gordon in ottawa, ks
    Larry Collins
    Daniel K Pai
    Prof Reganator

Bagua, Hsing-i, and Taichi
    Tran Jian Hoy
    Yuan Tao
    Kuo Feng chiih

Wing Chun
    Jason Goudy
    Lee Mcfields
    (Yo/matt) could tell you more on this line he was studying with him longer then I have, & has done more research on the subject)

Curious-Is this all?

6. Yo Feng Lung

Yo Feng Lung Valued Member

clearing things up

and Because I respect you 47MartialMan I will be more than happy to give you my line in wing chun :)
    The wing Chun is as what I know and have done a lot of research on this subject because I am a geek, anyway From my Sifu and back, SIfu Jason, Lee mcField, Eddie Ma,Wong Jing, Yuen Kay-San from his teachers Fok Bo Chuen and Fung Siu Ching respectively and that is the line I did a lot of digging and I hope this clears things up with everyone

7. Feng Lung

Feng Lung Valued Member

There's more people I've worked with, sure, but I didn't spend enough time in those arts to have a complete understanding of them, but I did gain knowledge of techniques and methodologies from those arts, it's not fair for me to add those in

8. 47MartialMan

Do you know/remember your Sifu Modesto Castellano's code of conduct?

Briefly, what are these?

9. 47MartialMan

Good response!

However-By my standards, one should not add/include/reference any studies less than 1-2 years. One cannot fully grasp foundations to applications in a shorter time than that.

If I may add a suggestion;

For your future reference, esp to "experienced-seasoned-veteran" martial artists, it would favor you if you had "less" references-background.

In other words, "more" (qty) arts with less years per art, is not better than less (qty) arts with more years per art.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2013
  10. Yo Feng Lung

movement without spirit is nothing
    movement without control is empty
    movement with purpose is wasted

11. 47MartialMan

That is not his Code of Conduct

For a teacher to transmit his knowledge, the student should know even the subtle things.

Your teacher has a Code of Conduct.

This is first or the foremost Discipline I'm sure he taught you.

You should know this. The physical applications cannot be fully appreciated without a Code of Conduct.

What is his? (I know he has these)

12. Yo Feng Lung

it is free style as far as I can remember I don't remember any code of conduct besides I do what am being tested over for my next belt, I watch, learn, he corrects me what I did wrong and I improve, now for my role as a student I guess put forth the effort in class practice what is corrected in class and out of class and learn what the day's lesson is about and if I don't put forth the effort he calls me out on it and he tells me to stop and I stop and put forth the effort in class that is required of me for that rank. so I guess the code of conduct would be when in class don't just do your best give it your everything, and grow from the day's lesson, because you don't want to put forth everything you have in class why are you coming at all, now that my not be the real code of conduct I just don't have with me so I can put out there I may have to do some winter cleaning lol I hope that helps I do remember seeing it when I first started but its been a long time

13. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

- When I start my MA training, a punch was just a punch.
    - The more time that I had trained in MA, a punch is more than just a punch.
    - After many years of MA training, a punch is still just a punch.

After I have knocked down my opponent with "my punch", I can stand on his dead body and perform:

- Peng, Lu, Ji, An to prove that I'm a Taiji master.
    - Santi Si to prove that I'm a XingYi master.
    - circle walking to prove that I'm a Bagua master.

We need to have WMD before we can talk about "world peace".

14. 47MartialMan

It seems, I know this and you had not;

His Code of Conduct;

Humility, respect, trust, loyalty, will, endurance, perseverance, patience, & bravery.

Guess the one that I missed

15. 47MartialMan

BRAVO!

16. Yo Feng Lung

yeah I missed that one lol my bad sorry I messed up and umm sorry about that I was wrong
    just to make sure I am on the same page with you a code of conduct is something you live by? I thought it was like how a class room is structured I learned something to day lol
    humility,respect, righteousness,trust, loyalty,will endurance,perseverance, Patience and bravery

17. micmacimus

micmacimus Valued Member

Ahhh... I've failed. Miserably. :bang:

18. 47MartialMan

I have a martial art student, well past my age that is into decades of Metaphysics. I also have a student/teacher; we reverse roles that he is a Collegiate Professor on Buddhism, as I was his martial art teacher.

In other words, one is into Metaphysics, but is my martial art student. The other is a Professor on Buddhism, and was one of my martial art students.

Both tend to amalgamate Metaphysics/Buddhism with martial arts in some manner to warrant a strong connection. So that each can justify their notion in order to not be at odds doing do things they have interest.
    Per;
    Metaphysics/Martial Arts
    Buddhism/Martial Arts

However, blending Metaphysics or Buddhism with Martial Arts maybe a parable from common misaligned dogma

In short, what I am trying to say, is that a Doctrine/Dr. in Metaphysics, nor a Master/Professor in Eastern Religion/Buddhism, should (not) use these to add experience, let alone, ability in Martial Arts.

With respect;

I think both you and he still have a lot of learning.

He maybe your current teacher, but he should seek out a credible-tangible-lineage martial art instructor and study many years before moving on to the next and not be in so much haste to create a style or attached a title to himself

As a student, you should do like he, and find a few teachers to put in some years with.

No teacher (like a parent) should allow their student become fixated with their style and should allow their student to grow especially with other teachers.

19. Please reality

Please reality Back to basics

Hey Phoenix Dragon.

Would you call yourself Modesto Castellano Dr. instead of Dr. Modesto Castellano? It would sound a bit strange and maybe people would question the legitimacy of your doctorate. However, by using the Chinese appellation before your name, you are doing just that. It's not Sifu Bob, it's Bob Sifu.

By the way, the name you gave for your Japanese aikido sensei does not seem to be a name in Japanese. Do you know the kanji? What aikido organization is he from and what is the organization that awarded your mastership in the martial arts?

Just so these rude and belligerent people will leave you alone and stop hating about your Ph.D, can you clarify a few things about it? Could you give us an address of your university, who(the names of the professors) you defended your thesis to, and whether or not it is published? I for one, would be interested in reading it(I own a loupe as well). Thank you kindly.

20. 47MartialMan

The problem with people whom dab in martial arts from various cultures and then turn around a create a whole new art, is that they misuse terminology.

It is like a Cajun speaking French in Paris, France; or a Latino from Los Angeles in Madrid, Spain.

As for a PHD, like I stated about my two students in my previous post, it does not add experience or ability in martial arts

Anyone may well deserve a PHD, but not when the discussion is upon martial arts experience or ability and then using it as a glamour title