I am really worried

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do' started by pulp fiction, Feb 4, 2007.

1. pulp fiction

pulp fiction TKD fighter

I am really worried about my weight. I am going to the nationals on next week. I can't stop thinking about exceding the weight allowed in fin division.

I am not eating any desserts and also I am not drinking any soft drinks.

I can't stop thinking about it because if I am over the allowed weight I am not going to be ablo to compete. Besides it is my first really important tournament. There are a lot of things at stake like a ticket to the panamerican games.

Oh my god I am so stressed about my weight.

2. narcsarge

narcsarge Masticated Whey

Up your Cardio to include HIIT training. Since you only have a week, do it every other day. How much do you have to lose and what is your current diet like?

3. Hapuka

Hapuka Te Aho

How much do you weigh now? What is your goal weight? Carry on with the exercise and training, but don't push yourself till you collapse. You need to have some energy for what you are doing. Do they have patterns at this tournament? You don't need to be in any weight range for patterns do you?

4. ShadowWarrior

ShadowWarrior Valued Member

Normally,, taking this from experience from the world champs, if you are over-weight, you have 30mins to lose it and get into your weight group, before the competition. Good luck

5. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

Needless to say - from a competition perspective you should already be within several pounds of your fight weight by now.

So if you don't make it that rests squarely on you.
    However I understand that it's not always easy to find good info on cutting weight as myths out there abound.

Post what you weigh now and what you need to weigh. Within reason you could still get your weight down to accepted range for your fight.

But you'v only got a week. So I suggest you start today. You don't want to be going into competition with a foggy head from trying to lose water weight the day before a fight.

For future reference I suggest you get this book:

http://www.amazon.com/Team-Renzo-Gracie-Workout-Training/dp/0972510419

Don't be put off by the MMA in the title or dudes in tight white short-shorts. :D
    The author and trainer Martin Rooney knows his stuff backwards and forwards.
    He's tried and tested his techniques on many of the best fighters in the world.
    He has a great section on cutting weight that is backed up with fact and science. Not myth and hearsay.

If you plan on competing then it's a goldmine of information on the hard to find stuff.
    Everyone can give you punch/kick combos... everyone can have you do XYZ workout... but this book really covers a lot more.

The only better stuff out there is by Ross Enamait at www.rossboxing.com
    I've got most of it... and it's been worth every fricken penny.

But anywho... back to your weight... get on top of it today.
    Post more info so we can help you more.

6. neryo_tkd

neryo_tkd Valued Member

if it is such a problem, can't you simply switch to another weight division? would that be a problem?

7. Counter

Counter Train more. Train harder.

Indeed it depends on how much weight you have to lose, if it's a lot i would do the following (even though it sounds really drastic):

Make sure you lose a LOT of weight the next few days.. Just eat what extremely necessary to survive the next days, and train with a lot of clothes on. You will see that you lose multiple pounds/kilos in just 2 or 3 days, and when you've reached your goal, make sure you stay on that weight. Like this, you will be able to get back your energy for the tournament, since you will be able to eat some food again the last few days before the tournaments.

It's probably not necessary to say, but if you really have to lose weight this quick, you will feel weaker than normally.. That's just something you can't do anything about, take it into account when you go to the nationals.

Good luck!

8. pulp fiction

pulp fiction TKD fighter

Thanks for the replies. I am weighing right now 48 Kg. I need to weigh 47 Kg this weeked. I can't change weight division, because it is the nationals and I am already signed for that weight division.

I am not eating desserts, bread and not drinking coke. I was going to run today, instead I endend with a break up which is very hard for my to digest. I feel like sh... The only thing that cheers me up is that I am going to the nationals. There is only fighting, no patterns. Supposedly the ones that win on that tournament are going to go to the Panamerican games.

9. neryo_tkd

neryo_tkd Valued Member

if you're already signed up then you have to have the right weight.

if the weigh in will be in the morning, make sure not to eat anything that morning and you'll have less kg.

the day before eat light food, make sure to drink a lot otherwise you'll dehidrate.

i would avoid milk and meat few days before.

10. slipthejab

You're joking right??!?! :eek:

All your worry comes down to a single kilogram of weight?!
    Give me a break.
    Pull your head out.

Get on top of your diet... get your cardio or whatever else in and stop making exscuses.

Cutting a single kilogram of weight is a piece of ****. :bang:

11. Counter

Counter Train more. Train harder.

Yeah exactly or one trainingsession.. you can easily lose 1 kilogram sweat if you train with enough clothes and hard enough..

12. slipthejab

You could basically take a dump and lose that much weight.

13. Artikon

Artikon Advertise here ask me how

1 kg?

Sauna baby.

I haven't had to work to hard to make weight cuts, but the largest I did was 6 kg in two days. Basically I got up in the morning, had some vegetables and a little water, did some road work for a number of hours and skipped. Have some more veggies/fruit, little more water and do some more work.

You should be able to lose 1 kg with no problem at all, albeit at fin weight it is more difficult because of the weight ratio compared to a heavyweight.

Don't stress. Watch the diet, do the work. Track your weight everyday and every couple hours. Your weight does fluctuate during the day so it is important to know approx what you weigh at what time and when abouts you are going to weigh in.

Good luck.

14. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

Do a 7-day colon detox and you could probabably quadruple that!

15. pulp fiction

pulp fiction TKD fighter

Well it is kind of worrying because it is my first major tournament, but I hope that I won't have any problemas with my weight.

16. neryo_tkd

neryo_tkd Valued Member

don't worry, everything will be fine. enjoy the tournament and don't forget to give us a report when you come back :)

17. Angelus

Angelus Waiting for summer :D

how many lbs do you need to drop?
    id say sleep and workout like hell. but give the last day or 2 a break... drink lost of water.