i am going to my first muay thai class tonight

Discussion in 'Thai Boxing' started by steatlh-wrx, Mar 4, 2003.

1. steatlh-wrx

steatlh-wrx New Member

i am going to my first class tonight. its a free lesson so thats a plus. i hope all goes well and we actually get to start physically doing something. this is the place i am going to. anyone heard of it.

www.ockickboxing.com

2. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

Looking at the website I'm pretty sure you've found a good school - enjoy :D

3. steatlh-wrx

steatlh-wrx New Member

cool. from the stories i have heard some people choose the wrong places and waste their money.

4. dredleviathan

dredleviathan New Member

Never seen anyone smiling like the two on that homepage whilst kicking the Thai pads...

Stealth-wrx let us know how it goes when you have the energy to type again. Is everyone that happy in California?

5. Dave Tew

Dave Tew New Member

Whoa, I see what you mean. Its the all American kickboxing club, shiny white teeth come as standard.

Or maybe she just farted.

Either way, they are HAPPY Thai Boxers.

6. steatlh-wrx

steatlh-wrx New Member

well i went there and listen to this. they called me at 5 pm to confirm my 6:30 appointment for my first free lesson. They tell me to get there at least 15 min early. My friend and I get there at 6:15 and they are shocked and say " why are you guys here early". both of us look confused. so they tell us to watch while we wait for three more people to come. Once the rest of the three came this guy wrapped all of our hands. Then this is what we did:

6:35: Jump Roped for 3 minutes then hung them up and drank some water.

6:40: Stretched out. (definately no as much as we should have)

6:45: learned salutes for, jeet kune do, muay thai, and savat

6:50: learned how to stand and put hands up

6:55: learned how to punch

7:00: learn thre types of kicks

7:05: practiced on bag

7:15: practice with thai pads

7:25: finished and cooled off

7:30: they sat all 5 of us in the office and explained the classes and what they do, when they are, and everything about them.

This is the really stupid part. Right off the bad he pulls five carbon copy papers out and assumes we are ready to pay. they my friend and i ask him if we can take the papers home so my parents can read them over. I am 21 but i still trust my father to look everything over for me as he has been around and he knows if he is going to get shafted. The guy looks appauled that i want to take it home and then he ask why. We say that we want to talk it over with our parents to see what they think. Then he tells us to go outside and wait. we step out and then another employee comes up to us after talking to him. he says " so whats going on guys", like its rediculus that we dont want to pay now. we tell him that we want to wait and he says ok. Then we left.

Here is the part that i didn't like. they wanted a 12 month contract, $100 up front fee, $125 each month fee for classes. they money is not the big deal to me, what makes me mad is the contract, the up front fee, and how he assumed we were paying. then once we told him we were not paying right now, he told us to go out side the room like we were not important anymore.

I am going to try another place out.

7. pgm316

pgm316 lifting metal

:( I've been to enough different clubs to know that doesn't sound good steatlh-wrx! They might be good teachers, but its sounds like money comes first, so tear the papers up and keep looking! ;)

8. YODA

WOW! Not what I expected at all Stealth!

You wanted to learn Muay Thai right? Not JKD or Savate. I had a look at the schedule on their website - I see no Muay Thai class.

If it's Muay Thai you want then don't walk - RUN - to a Muay Thai club.

9. steatlh-wrx

steatlh-wrx New Member

no kidding. i made an appointment for muay thai and then after we start we do all of this other stuff. then they tell us that what they do is a mixture of all the martial arts and you cannot do just one. i said what if i want to do just muay thai. then he said " thats stupid, why learn one thing when you can learn them all at the same time". yeah right. thats like me learning to fly a jet, a spaceship, a propeller plane, a submarine, and a yaht at the same time.

10. YODA

He's not wrong - if what you want to do is learn to fight on your feet then training elements of different systems that compliment each other is a good way to do it.

However - if you want Muay hai and you tell him you want Muay Thai then he should be honest with you from the word go & tell you that it is just ONE element of what they do. Telling a prospective student that his ideas are "just stupid" doesn't seem very professional.

11. Dave Tew

Dave Tew New Member

Wow, far too official sounding. And not letting you think about it before signing either. Sounds like a salesman technique, pressure people into signing their name by making them feel stupid if they don't.

And for an hour's training as well? What a joke.

Oh the joys of walk-in-and-train gyms. It should be the enjoyment, people and training that keeps you coming back to a certain place to train, not a contract that's taking all your money.

Nice one for not joining :)

12. steatlh-wrx

steatlh-wrx New Member

where should i go for some good training. my searching was unsucessful and the place i choose was horrible.

13. Joe karate

Joe karate New Member

try the same thing with another school in your area. And hope it goes better.

14. steatlh-wrx

steatlh-wrx New Member

i am going to try this LA BOXING place.

15. krash999

krash999 New Member

What ever happened to LA BOXING place.

16. InterSpool

InterSpool New Member

Holy crap... my heart skipped a beat when you posted the www.ockickboxing.com link.
    I have been going there for about 4 months, and am still torn as to whether it's a mcdojo or not. The instructors are *very* good and experienced, though. If you want to get the most out of your money, you have to stay after class and pull the instructors to the side and ask for personal help - which they are glad to do.
    However, you are correct that it is JKD. For the first few months until they invite you to the next level, you will learn basic Savate and Muay Thai techniques using thai pads and focus mitts. I have just started the higher training and the classes are 1.5-2hours long and are *much* more educating. We have started live sparring and defense/offense drills which are very useful. We are also learning our foundation for BJJ and trapping.
    It has occurred to me before that they are in it for the money, but the training has been good. If you want to train pure Muay Thai then by all means go to a Muay Thai academy. Try Punch Out in Tustin, many pro fighters train there.
    OCKB gives you a well rounded training, I don't know what else you could ask for. Depending on how the rest of my one year contract goes, I might transfer to Punch Out. Too many decisions!