I am a draft dodging sissy!

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Adam, Aug 11, 2004.

1. Adam

Adam New Member

Friggin' A! I managed to avoid getting drafted into the stupid army after all! Now I can go back to my lazy-ass lifestyle without having to get up at 4 in the morning and do pushups! :D
    (I'll also be able to lose the goatee and excessive hair I grew so my chances of getting drafted would be smaller. Double yay!)

2. Knight_Errant

Knight_Errant Banned Banned

yay! well done!
    how'd you do it?

3. Mrs Owt

Mrs Owt New Member

Is military service mandatory in Denmark?

4. Adam

Adam New Member

Believe it or not, your future is determined by raffle. If you're declared to be physically fit for service, you have to pick a number out of a tombola, and if it's too low, too bad, you just won 4-12 months of military service, after which you can declare yourself a conscientious objector and get slave labour instead for the same period of time. I drew a high number, meaning I won't even have to be in the reserves :D

5. Mrs Owt

Mrs Owt New Member

QUICK! Go buy a lottery ticket while your luck is still holding!

Truly bizarre - draft by raffle.:confused:

6. neryo_tkd

neryo_tkd Valued Member

i've never heard such a funny and weird thing when it comes to drafting.

7. NeilX66

NeilX66 Valued Member

Didn't the Australians have something similar during Vietnam, based on the date of birth which they read out on TV / radio ? ( I think I read it in a book called The Odd Angry Shot, but it was a while back so I may be wrong )

8. Kinjiro Tsukasa

Kinjiro Tsukasa I'm hungry; got troll? Supporter

During the Vietnam war, the US had a draft lottery. Each day of the year was assigned a number (I think they pulled numbers out of a drum, just like in a Bingo game), and if your birthday had a high number, you were safe; if it had a low number, you got drafted. One of my friends got number 4 (bad news), but he ended up with a medical deferrment, due to an ear problem.

9. Scarlet Mist

Scarlet Mist Banned Banned

Can't you just pretend to have a serious injury that would prevent service?

10. Adam

Adam New Member

Kinjiro: That's EXACTLY how we still do it over here, drum and all.
    Scarlet Mist: You gotta be reeeaaly good at faking that injury, since they're used to people wanting to BS themselves out of serving. Failing that, you might be able to bribe your doctor into making up a phoney medical record stating that you're unfit for duty or something. Really no other way around it, apart from mental conditions and lots of prior convictions.
    You can't even get out of serving on account of homosexuality anymore, which totally ruined my plan of being let off by meeting up dressed like Boy George :D

Edit: Dear yanks. I understand that your government is currently making plans for reinstating the draft. Don't let them do this. The draft sucks, and in your case, it would mean being sent off to some far-off place where a bunch of guys would be trying to kill you.

11. Kinjiro Tsukasa

Kinjiro Tsukasa I'm hungry; got troll? Supporter

I always hated the stupid lottery idea for the draft -- such a cavalier way of doing something that would negatively impact so many lives. Like making some big, silly game out of it. At uni, somebody posted a big chart of all the days of the year and their assigned numbers. December 25 got a very low number, and somebody wrote next to it, "Will Jesus go?"

12. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Banned Banned

God, and I thought the American system of everything was screwed up. =/

PL

13. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

The american draft is on hold until the elections are over in November.

14. Tatsumaru

Tatsumaru Your new God!

congratulations adam, glad you got out of it

15. Sobukwe-Biko

Sobukwe-Biko New Member

Lots of european countries have the draft. SOme you just have to go there is not even a rafffle, but look at the big picture the Finns are not going to war anytime soon, neither are the Danes so it is nor nearly as bad as us in the U.S. I'm prime dratff material ie, Lower calls, minority, 18 no collage (yet) etc)... And we are gonna have to fight in the bloody desert with a-rabs....

16. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Banned Banned

I'm still told that is only a rumor.

Doesn't matter, hopefully I'll get accepted into ROTC before I get drafted as a ground pounder. =/

PL

17. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

An awful lot will depend on who gets elected.