I am 47 years old --- SHOULD I DO THIS ?

Discussion in 'Brazilian Jiu Jitsu' started by nasd90, Jan 26, 2019.

?

Is 47 years old too old to begin BJJ training?

1. YES

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. NO

100.0%
  1. nasd90

nasd90 New Member

Believe it or not, I'm in pretty good shape... but maybe it's because I've never really done this but a few classes about 6 years ago, but my head was in the UFC cloud, just doing it because... now is different. I went through a really tough year, one of those 'he beat me up at the bus stop' years, that changes a young boy or man; only this time, a 47 year old man felt weak like his big ass never felt. Please help if you can.

I quit drinking about 5 months ago, yeah, had the 'big talk' with my inner self, that's over.
    Started lifting again 5 months ago, am even doing deadlifts & squats like there's no tomorrow. Two lifts I avoided my entire life for ridiculous reasons... no more back pain, wouldn't you know.
    Almost ran a 10k with my wife this morning but it was so freaking cold, she convinced me it wasn't worth it. I'm not a runner, don't enjoy running, but do it for the mental & physical benefits (#GOGGINS).
    Went from 6'2" 230 to just under 200lbs. I feel fantastic, lotta yoga/stretching and just plain hitting those freaking weights every freaking day. I am jealous of young people because they have the internet, with all of these motivational speakers, lifting coaches (#jeffCavalier) for instance... that dude showed me so much I was doing wrong. Anyway... just giving you some background of where I am at.

Needless to say, with all of these pluses on my side... I'm still APPREHENSIVE.

Would love to hear from some older dudes like me.

2. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

I train with older guys your age, age is no barrier, just start gentle and build up, the secret is finding a good gym that you can get to regularly, and enjoy.

shotokanAikiJujistu and axelb like this.
  3. nasd90

nasd90 New Member

Hey man, thanks! Been thinking about it for a long time, but not as much as the last 5 months.

This is the gym: Home - Zicro Academy

4. Dunc

Dunc Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

Agreed
    Age doesn’t have to be a barrier, but I’d advise chatting to your coach and making sure that you don’t partner up with big, excitable, inexperienced guys to start with as the key to training as an older guy is staying relaxed

5. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

We have several people in my Kung Fu/ Choy Li Fut & Yang Tai Chi school who are close to 80. Started in their late mid to late 50's. Don't let that stop you. You treat your body like it is old and limited, you will have an old and limited body. One couple in their late 70's that are practicing for their black sash test in Choy Li Fut. So, no you are not too old.

Be realistic. Build up slowly, take the time for warm up's and stretches. The younger folk get away with skipping that, but I don't think it is good for us older people. Listen to your body when it gives you warnings signs about anything, so as to avoid injury.

And I don't mean to delve into your personal life, but since you mentioned it here. Don't let your wife talk you out of getting fit and doing good things for yourself. A spouse should be encouraging a person to get better, not talking them out of it.

Let us know how it goes. :)

Frodocious and Dead_pool like this.
  6. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

Last June, at age 47, I started BJJ. There are a few other "old guys" at my gym.

7. axelb

axelb Master of Office Chair Fu

There are older guys in my gym that train regularly (older than me at 38).

Find a gym that respects long term training, tap early and as often as you need to.
    My coach was explaining it well to a new guy, you're not long to tap with pain, but discomfort. Until you have many years in a club that's a good way to explain it.

Myself I'll tap as soon as a sub is applied if I feel pressure and no way to get out quickly.

Dead_pool likes this.
  8. nasd90

nasd90 New Member

NICE !! Thank you for the responses. I'm going to go down there now and sign up for Monday class, so I have everything.

One thing the head instructor, owner told me over the phone is that they now offer Black GI's to students as well as white. I always thought white was the way... can anyone explain this to me? I'm sure it's no big deal, they are just giving you the option... just didn't know if there was some hidden meaning in Black.

THANK YOU AGAIN!

9. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Some clubs allow you to wear any gi. Some clubs only allow for their own gi. Colour makes no difference. Odd that there isn't a blue option.

10. Dead_pool

Some old school instructors only allow white (it's more a Brazilian thing) the coach at your future gym is 47, and a fifth degree, so that's why he said that.

There's no hidden meaning behind the colours, but white is a good starter colour, as it makes sure you wash it every single time you train (you'd be surprised what people do!)

axelb likes this.
  11. Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng All weight is underside

Ya know.....speaking as a guy much closer to 60 that 50.... I would appreciate it if you would all stop referring to the 47 year old whipper snapper and an OLDER GUY!!!!!! :D

@nas90 you're not to old...but if you are concerned check with your doctor first

Mitch, Monkey_Magic and axelb like this.
  12. Old bloke

Old bloke Active Member

I am knocking on 50, and train as often as I can, good for you quitting the booze and working towards your long term mobility and health, it will hurt for a bit though.

13. nasd90

nasd90 New Member

Hey thanks fella's...

Yeah, I think the gym I chose is the best in town. The instructor is more than I could hope for, especially in this small town. Thanks to Dead_pool for checking out the site, I'm pretty sure y'all would have told me it wasn't legit, but I'm pretty confident on this one.

The pain is welcomed... like Goggins says: "...start putting yourself in situations that suck... you'll find yourself." If anyone wants to read an amazing book, read CAN'T HURT ME by David Goggins. Audiobook is better as it has interviews at the end of each chapter.

I don't have sciatica anymore and I'm in better shape, aside from the age I think I'll be ok.

ON ANOTHER NOTE: I just opened this VENOM Challenger mouthguard and it looks like it's made for a elementary school student. yikes. Amazon'ed it, now I'm going to have to go local to Dick's Sporting, Academy Sports or Bass Pro Sports to see if they have it. Can anyone recommend a bigger, better mouthguard? Jeez....

14. Dead_pool

I prefer I fitted mouth guard, there's some kits for doing the impression at home that only cost 5ish dollars, which is a low cost to protect your teeth, but if a boil and bite is your choice, go and actually look in a shop and compare the listed sizes!

Monkey_Magic likes this.
  15. Dead_pool

Re mouthguard, did they send you the child size or the adult size?

16. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

I like the Shock Doctor boil n' chew.

Mitch and axelb like this.
  17. Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng All weight is underside

Mouth guard; Everlast. for adult that you have to heat up and customize to your teeth. I had to trim the ends of the one I had, it was actually to big for my mouth

18. Dead_pool

50, not 5, doh!

19. Monkey_Magic

Monkey_Magic Well-Known Member

It’s worth asking your dentist too ...
    ... My dentist charged me less than that for a professionally fitted mouthguard.

axelb likes this.
  20. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

If you are in good shape then 47 is still relatively young in terms of physical capabilities across a typical human lifespan. You will not be as athletic as someone 20 or 30 years younger than you but the same is true for people 20 or 30 years older than you. Train rationally and you will do fine.

axelb likes this.