Hwarangdo!!!

Discussion in 'Other Styles' started by K93200, Jun 24, 2004.

1. Grimjack

Grimjack Dangerous but not serious

Oh? The first post you make you start asking why I hate the art- just like all the other guys from Hwarang-do have been saying?

If you are not a plant, then I wish you well. But if you look over this thread you will see that the common thread of things is that any member of Hwarang-do who leaves the art because they think that Joo Bang Lee is lying is then accused in public of various crimes. Then the Hwarang-do people will not deal at all with the facts they lay out and instead deal in charecter assasination.

And of course, after making these accusations/claims about other people, they will not provide proof for those accusations.

And on MAP they have been engaged in the same behavior. Instead of dealing with the facts laid out, they seek to damage the reputation of anyone, such as myself, who questions the official line they give.

I found a link to show what I mean. When I talked about how I was threatened by Jungdo you should see what he posted in public.

http://www.martialartsplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?p=625739#post625739

Of course, the whole post was deleted since it was an attack on me and my charecter and not relevent to the conversation. After that post and before it was deleted, I get a PM from Jungdo saying that he is willing to call a truce. Actually, he spelled it 'truth.' If I responded further and did not let him get in his version of the truth unchallenged, I could expect more of the same type of personal attack.

Big mistake.

Now of course, he has brought in friends and they are trying to make it sound like I was kicked out of the art and thus should not be listened to, etc in their typical style of attacking the messenger so as to distract from the truth. Heck, they have even tried to convince people that I was Bob Duggan!!!

But I am just a guy that does not like it when I see bad things going on. If you bother to look through my past posts, you will see that in the last few weeks I have called on carpet a few trolls claiming to be ninja masters but who would not show proof because none of us were 'worthy.' I just go after trolls and frauds when they start causing trouble on line. Hwarang-do is just the latest in a long list of folks like Blooming Lotus, Oneninja, etc.

2. CJ

CJ Killer of all the B.S.

ok I play dumb what is Blooming Lotus

3. Lord Spooky

Lord Spooky Banned Banned

arrrghhh

*Spooky jumps through window*

Do a search for anything posted by Blooming Lotus ;)

4. CJ

happy hunting grim I guess

5. Grimjack

The following article backs up what some in this thread have been saying. The Hwarang were not a military group, but members of it may have become military leaders.

http://www.geocities.com/neue_strassenbahn/hwarang.html

Some interesting quotes from it.

Since they were made to wear make up and originally called flower girls, I have to wonder if this is another case of some dirty old men abusing young boys.

I know that is going to set a few people screaming. :woo:

Last edited: Jan 1, 2006
  6. CJ

Hay grim question for ya.
    I read your link, but how come the the links that they provided don't work.
    Can they not back up there storys.
    Not tring to be funny just want to know whats up

7. Grimjack

My Korean isn't good enough to read the notices. Maybe you should write them and ask why. The sites they link to all seem to be in Korea. Maybe they got taken down over time.

8. CJ

could be

9. korea2k

korea2k New Member

Okay... I've been waiting a couple days for my membership to be approved so I could post on this thread! Finally!! ;)

Regarding Doo Joo Nim... who my husband likes to refer to playfully/lovingly as Douche Juice Nim... roflmao... I've also met him and felt his "aura". It felt pretty much like the aura of a sneaky businessman to me. I don't dispute his skills as a martial artist. I've seen his son as well, and he's about as good a martial artist of his stature as you'll find in the US.

However, I can't respect an organization that has traded honesty and sincerity for deceit and a general sense of meanness. Did you know that all but one of the schools in Korea listed on their website don't exist? I mean they aren't there, and the one that is there has right around 10 young boys attending it. All this crap about them being huge in Korea... thats all it is, crap. And as for the "general sense of meanness"... I can't go into my personal relationship with this group but you can look at the "judicial committee" portion of their website to see that. An organization that would go against the better business advice to let the issue drop and post their dirty laundry for all prospective students to see is very questionable to me. I mean, they said Gil Kim has is an unstable mental case! The comical part is visualizing Henry Kim generating these pseudo-judicial committee findings from some legal template at his PC. My warning is for anyone trying to open a school: if you're in HRD, switch arts NOW and cut your losses. The contracts you will have to sign will make it impossible for you to make any money. Just ask to examine the paperwork and you'll see for yourself.

For a general student, I'm sure they can offer as much as any decent hapkido/taekwondo gym. But for anyone looking for a sense of true community or an organization to eventually sponsor your gym, fahgettaboutit.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2006
  10. Grimjack

Interesting.

I know I will be in Japan sometime in April. And Korea is such a short trip from Narita airport. It might be fun to stop in and see this school. And of course ask if there are any others. Can you give an address?

11. Christy Angel

Christy Angel Banned Banned

12. mystik

mystik In for a challenge

well i'm not going to participate the this argument over the lineage of the art, all I know is when I was in Hwarangdo our uniforms had a Korean flag on them. But the reason I posted here is I was wondering about HWD i only took this for like a year. It was to slow paced for me. I learn pretty fast. My teacher was a blue belt i'm not sure exactly where that is in this style. But I was just wondering how similar is HWD to TKD or is there any similarities at all? We have alot of the same stances but what about technique wise?

Last edited: Mar 13, 2007
  13. CJ

Was it a club, otherwise that sounds kind of funny.
    The WHRDA will not let anyone teach unless there a Jo kyo Nim or higher.
    Also what you might be learning was Tae soo do program, which is for those that have never trainned before.
    It is more sport/TKD version of HRD.

14. BloodSugar

BloodSugar New Member

My Uncle has Choi Kwang Do school, he has a school called HwarangDo, for the kids aged 12-16, named after this Old Army in Korea :)

15. CJ

But not the same thing as the WHRDA though.

16. Shesulsa

Shesulsa Valued Member

I haven't trained in TKD, but the poomsaes don't appear similar in content to me except when you break it down to basic moves. HRD forms rely more on flow and speed of the performer, the type of form it is and don't follow cadence, which I did notice some TKD schools encourage.

Technique-wise, I'm not sure, though I know some TKD schools are introducing "Ho-Sin Sul" which are Som Mak Sul techniques. I'm observing a test this weekend and they will be performing some techniques - I'll report back what I notice in differences.