Hwa-Rang Movement No 7

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do' started by TheMadhoose, Oct 11, 2011.

1. TheMadhoose

TheMadhoose Carpe Jugulum

Why do we perform the Knifehand Downward Strike in Hwa-Rang with the hands crossing on the outside rather than the inside? Kwang-Gae has a Downward Sidefist Strike and the hands cross on the inside surely these techniques are basically the same. The legacy 15 Volume Encyclopedia shows the technique crossed on the inside but the latest version of the condensed encyclopedia shows the crossing to the outside. Likewise the ITF Masters Class DVD shows the crossing to the outside. Why was this changed?

2. StuartA

StuartA Guardian of real TKD :-)

I was taught 'inside'.. I still teach 'inside', the manuals I have say 'inside'.

From an application POV, inside makes much more sense. As does, like you have said, the reasoning that other circular techniques travel inside.

I dont have the condensed book.. maybe its as simple as a photo error!

Stuart

3. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

I've seen it done both ways in tournaments. I was taught inside.

4. TheMadhoose

On closer inspection of the encyclopedia the text states that all downward strikes come from the outside. ( Vol3 page 103 of the 15 Vol Legacy version) Kwang Gae is the exception to the rule as opposed to Hwa Rang as i first thought. This would explain the updated photo in the newer versions of the encyclopedia.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2011
  5. StuartA

Vol 3, 103 of mine is on side elbow.. is the page number correct?

cheers,

Stuart

6. TheMadhoose

Ooops type page 130

7. StuartA

Okay, I just read the page and it doesnt specifically state that from what I can see! - am I missing it?

It just says to chamber the striking hand (of any downward strike) under the blocking hand, yet we don't really 'chamber' that technique like other techniques as it starts its motion from the previous punch anyway.

Still, I guess you should do it how your org/instructor wants it.

Stuart

8. gemtkd

gemtkd Valued Member

I've always done inside!

9. Iam

Iam Valued Member

Outside is how I'm taught it, which means no wrist twist at end. A reference book I use shows inside though.

10. StuartA

An interesting point! TKD is very big on twisting strikes in after all.. esp. knifehands!

Which book are you refering to?

Cheers,

Stuart

11. Iam

Iam Valued Member

It's "Taekwon-do Patterns" by Master Jim Hogan.

I had hoped to check it in another book I've just started into, but that one stops at Toi Gye sadly :p (Come on Vol II!)

12. StuartA

Interesting, considering he's ITF-C

Yet others go up to Tong-Ill :) Seriously, I am working on it!

thanks,

Stuart

13. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

+1. :)

14. Iam

Iam Valued Member

:)

If you're wondering which orgs do which by the way, I train in Spain & don't even know which branch of the ITF we're under - it may be one not so common in the UK though.