Hurricane Sandy

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by bassai, Oct 28, 2012.

1. bassai

bassai onwards and upwards ! Moderator Supporter

Looks like it will be quite rough when it hits , our thoughts are with you guys , keep safe :Angel:

2. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

3. afhuss

afhuss Valued Member

Yeah, I'm pretty much flying into NYC right when that happens. Should be interesting.

4. mattt

mattt Valued Member

Have stocked up with cases of beer and currently roasting a 8lb Pernil. Also got a candle and a box of matches.

5. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

Good luck, New Yorkers! Sending you best wishes and positive chi.

[​IMG]

6. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

Good luck to the people who it will hit directly. I'm in the DC area and they are FREAKING OUT about this thing. The grocery store was almost all bought up yesterday when I went to it. Make sure you fill a bathtub up with fresh water in case the water gets contaminated!

7. Ero-Sennin

I doubt that flight will still be available man. My wife just HAD to go visit a friend in Texas for a halloween party this weekend and all the flights into the DC area, which isn't even getting hit directly, have all the flights cancelled. Closest she could get was NC from Texas.

8. SuperSanity

SuperSanity The Hype

Day of truth! I hope I don't wake up to my roof being ripped off. XD

9. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Some people are freaking out. Others aren't freaking out quite enough. I've just gone for a walk around our neighborhood, and people still have their plastic lawn furniture out there. I don't know how serious this will wind up being, but I'm pretty confident that kind of thing is going to go walkabout later today.

10. Nojon

Nojon Tha mo bhàta-foluaimein

Good luck you guys. Sandy just skirted us, we only had a little wind and lots of rain. We did have 9-12 foot waves though, which is nice. :)

Hope you all have food, water, toilet paper, and a bar within walking distance.

11. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

We have some of those things. The bar is likely closed, sadly. ;)

Right now, where I am (about 20 minutes on the other side of DC from Ero-Sennin), it's just raining steadily. We did get outside for a bit this morning to clear debris from the drain outside our house. Neighbors had inadvertently blocked it with tree branches and there was a pretty good pool of water gathering at the end of our driveways.

Aside from that, it's just waiting. We've got the bathtub of water, the bottled water, the flashlights, the non-perishables, etc. Should be fine.

12. Nojon

Nojon Tha mo bhàta-foluaimein

When I moved to Annapolis, there was a hurricane going on, all the power was out but most of the bars were still open. I went into one of the local dives, and there was a 4 ft tall greek man in a grass skirt and coconut bra cutting up fresh fruit for hurricane drinks, he was cursing the storm telling it to "go (expletive) a donkey". You cant make these things up, good luck to you all.

13. Ero-Sennin

That's a shame actually. When we had that big storm a few months ago where power was down for a while for a lot of people I remember trying to go to the store from the hospital (wife conveniently started passing a kidney stone) and seeing everything from kiddie pools to trash cans and lawn furniture and orange cones all over the road. Can't blame anybody too much though because I don't even remember that storm popping up on the news unlike this Sandy business.

I guess I don't see being responsible as freaking out. Having a grocery cart full of enough canned food and chips to last you the rest of the year though . . . . . sheesh.

14. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

Got my water tank all filled, meals ready, extra beer, the generator's all fueled up, and plenty of batteries for our back-up lights and appliances. The Kuma family is all ready.

15. Ero-Sennin

Beer. That's the only thing I made sure I went out and got.

16. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

You're not in Kansas anymore, Dorothy. ;)

17. Oldi

Oldi Valued Member

Best of luck to all who are affected. A wonderful part of the world is about to get quite a tough time of it, and you'll all be in my thoughts.

18. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

I'm admittedly a wee bit of a prepper, so we have things well in hand for the most part here.

19. Ero-Sennin

20. Ero-Sennin

Winds are certainly picking up! It's like being in Florida again, only the wind is cold. I'm just waiting for a tree to topple over (hopefully not since a lot of the leaves have fallen). During the last storm a GIANT tree fell through somebody's house in the neighborhood, would hate to be driving and have to see that again. Getting close to the "by by lawn furniture" point.