hunting tools as fitness training

Discussion in 'Weapons' started by KaliKuntaw, Jul 29, 2013.

1. KaliKuntaw

KaliKuntaw Valued Member

This weekend we started throwing spears and shooting arrows at first in order in order to train for the Spartan races coming up. We have been using archery and spear throwing as well as shuriken throwing and sword and knife work. This mix of using tools and weapons for fitness training has helped to keep us interested in Martial Arts and fitness workouts.
    If you have a 13 year old and a 7 year old, it can be hard to keep them interested. Have any of you tried spear throwing for fitness sake?

2. Unreal Combat

Unreal Combat Valued Member

Hmm, I could try throwing spears at the kids. That might keep them interested while keeping me fit. :)

Last edited: Jul 29, 2013
  3. nintyplayer

nintyplayer Valued Member

I wouldn't allow anyone under 13 to learn how to use a weapon, and even then I'd require them to use a wooden replica until at least the age of 18.
    But, I'm not a teacher.

4. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

At 13 they can probably handle it as long as they are supervised. I was using knives and hatchets in a non-weaponry capacity from age 7 upwards (Cub Scouts don't you know :) ) and shooting air rifles from age 11

As for the hunting tools idea......I like it! Try inserting some boomerang/rabbit sticks in there too!

5. Unreal Combat

I have no issue with children learning how to use weapons as long as they have the mental state to do so properly and the correct supervision and instruction to do so.

6. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

They don't look like they can run that fast, I'd try to hunt someone faster like a cyclist.

[​IMG]

7. Unreal Combat

That's not a cyclist. :/

8. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

Nope, he's a tool. Looks like he can run, what? 20mph tops? No way that'll give you a good workout.

9. Unreal Combat

I don't know about anyone else, but I wouldn't be able to cycle in shorts like that either. Too restrictive as they'd get caught on the knees.

10. Heraclius

Heraclius BASILEVS Supporter

Ah, I get it, I get it : )

11. KaliKuntaw

KaliKuntaw Valued Member

Ive been teaching my children since they can walk.
    Is this some kind of anti-weapons thing?

12. adouglasmhor

adouglasmhor Not an Objectivist

Are you teaching them stuff you learned of the internet?

13. Rokurinken

Rokurinken New Member

I see no problem with teaching kids how to handle weapons either. Personally I was taught by my father to shoot with different kinds of guns and rifles from my 5 years. He used to be a cop and had lot of guns at home, so he wanted to prevent us using them when he is not around. It worked well I might add. We knew what it is about, so we didn't have the urge to touch them.

As was said, if supervised, if the kid's head is on right place, there is no problem. It is benefit, I dare say. For example, Inuits give knives to their kids in 4 years. Sharp one. Kids learn fast, heal faster. So some cut will do only good, if you are around to prevent serious injury.

14. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

I've trained along side plenty of kids in eskrima. Learning to handle a stick as a weapon seemed to be good for them. Learning that there are logical consequences to not taking it seriously, etc. Not a big problem with irresponsibility.

15. KaliKuntaw

KaliKuntaw Valued Member

The kids ran a Mud Run recently, the Ruckus.
    They loved the obstacle course.
    The kids mud runs do not have any weapons qual but it is still cute to see a bunch of little adventurers running around.

We are blessed to live on 3.8 acres so we shoot pellets and bb guns, throw shuriken, archery, la canne, stick, knife, empty hand drills. As soon as the kids could speak they have been training with me.

For the clever guy speaking about videos, yes they learned some work from dvd's as well as other things.

16. KaliKuntaw

KaliKuntaw Valued Member

I dont fault you for your opinion.
    However my first weapons were given to me at around 6 years old and i have kept that family tradition going with my babies as well.

17. KaliKuntaw

KaliKuntaw Valued Member

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q76yBPCxwcI&feature=youtube_gdata_player"]YouTube[/ame]

I dont have any newer videos but this was a training day at a local school teaching my daughters old class alternate gym classes. I cut it off but we worked on a bit of Modern Arnis with stick, knife drills, gladius sword sumbrada. I dont have any recent videos.
    My little girl is very shy. The weapons training has given her a little bit more confidence. In this video she was very nervous but we got through the routine well and her friends loved the demonstration. Exercise doesn't always have to be jogging and push ups and my kids understand this concept now.
    We dont sit in front of a screen and play video game weapons, we get outdoors and actually play with weapons and empty hand work.

18. KaliKuntaw

KaliKuntaw Valued Member

19. KaliKuntaw

KaliKuntaw Valued Member

The hardest part for me has been trying to throw it with both left and right arms.

20. KaliKuntaw

KaliKuntaw Valued Member

Are you?