Hunters Blood

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by vampyregirl, Jun 15, 2012.

1. vampyregirl

vampyregirl Moved on

Its a 1980s action flick. A deliverance theme, some city boys go on a hunting trip in the inbred capital of the world, which is somewhere in the American south, run afoul of local rednecks and end up having to fight for their lives. The hunters become the hunted. it was Billy Bob Thortons screen debut.
    Anyway its never been released on DVD and is hard to find.

But can be bought on VHS if you look on eBay or Amazon

[ame="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hunters-Blood-Sam-Bottoms/dp/B000NN1WLK/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1339794457&sr=8-2"]Hunter's Blood [1987]: Sam Bottoms, Kim Delaney, Clu Gulager, Ken Swofford, Robert C. Hughes: Amazon.co.uk: Video[/ame]

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hunters-B...lm_TV_Videos&hash=item3377323fa8#ht_500wt_922

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 15, 2012
  2. vampyregirl

vampyregirl Moved on

The studio who made this film no longer exists. So is there any copyright issue? And who the heck uses VHS anymore?
    BTW if the film is not brutal enough for me check out the book. The rednecks in the book make the ones in the film look like nice guys.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2012
  3. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

Just because the studio who made the film doesn't exist any longer doesn't mean it's up for grabs or free to distribute without any copyright issues.The onus is on you to make sure there is no copyright issue as it's you who's posting it... the studios collection of films and IP could have easily been sold on and re-released under a different label or as part of a different collection. That's it's being sold on Amazon means someone somewhere owns the distribution rights and therefore it's not in the public domain.:rolleyes:

4. vampyregirl

vampyregirl Moved on

Why isn't it on DVD if its being distributed? Who uses VHS anymore? The asking prices for this film on Ebay are outragous. Thats because it is rather rare.

5. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

Who knows. All questions you will have to dig a bit deeper to find the answers.

6. Chimpcheng

Chimpcheng Yup... Giant cow head... Supporter

I would have thought, as a film fan, you would know that VHS is still wildly popular. There are some who haven't bothered with DVD and there are those who hunt out VHS because the movie/tv show is not available on any other medium.

An extremely simple Google search will tell you there are a plethora of VHS/DVD combi players to choose from. In fact, Panasonic released a VHS/blu-ray combi only a few years ago due to VHS being hugely popular - check out the DMP-BD70V.

Just because you don't use VHS doesn't mean others aren't using it. Come to think of it? Why aren't you saying "Who uses DVD any more?" I've moved onto blu-ray as the picture quality is immense, amongst other features, it makes watching films on DVD as if you're viewing it through a thin layer of vaseline...

Others still might argue "why are people still using physical media?" I have an Apple TV and stream a lot of my movies these days. Netflix being extremely cheap.

You've also been advised on general copyright law many times over. Yes it's boring, yes you don't want to read up on it, and yes, we know you want to watch films for free, but it's the law.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2012
  7. vampyregirl

vampyregirl Moved on

Hmmm i didn't realize they still made the VHS combo. I see a lot of Dvd/Blu Ray combos. No vendor i know still carries VHS so are Video cassetes even manufactured anymore?

8. Chimpcheng

I'm fairly certain VHS movies/tv shows are no longer manufactured, blank VHS cassettes are still being made, but not in any huge quantities, but the format for viewing purposes is still viable no matter how bad you or I think it is - I think VHS is incredibly shoddy when compared to DVD and especially against blu-ray.

You see VHS cassettes littering charity stores, they cost pennies now, you can get an entire library for a few notes. Last I saw, one of the local charities were selling them ten for a pound!

I still have a few VHS, laserdisc and VCD's kicking around simply because they aren't available on DVD/blu-ray/streams. Yes, I could easily watch a rip on the Internet, but as a movie fan, I don't.

Yes it's annoying that film companies don't release all their back catalogue on the latest medium, but, financially they can't or won't - no point doing a full release if only two people will buy it. However, you mighgt get lucky, some companies like Warner allow users to contact them, with payment, and they'll burn you a copy of "x" film onto DVD for you.

http://www.wbshop.com/category/wbshop_brands/warner+archive.do

Hopefully more studios will follow suit...

9. vampyregirl

vampyregirl Moved on

Yeah i know, the law is the law, but if i can watch a film for free i will. Maybe i shouldn't, i don't know.

10. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

You shouldn't.
    It's pretty simple.
    You don't help yourself to food off the shelf without paying (I think).
    What does the book of Mormon tell you about stealing?

11. vampyregirl

vampyregirl Moved on

i never thought of watching a movie on Youtube as stealing. But maybe i need to think again.

12. Chimpcheng

That makes you no different to anyone else, but, it is still illegal. Someone has illegally ripped this film and posted it for the masses to share. You can't have been blind to the recent Megaupload case. Ok, it's slightly different, but it's still wrong.

We all know you like to watch these films, oh man do we know, but, fair enough, you can do so if you wish, all it takes is a few clicks of a button and you're watching a movie you shouldn't. It's so easy. What we have issue with is the posting of links (if illegal), telling people where they can find these sites, or asking people to PM you for these links.

Stay within the confines of the ToS which protects MAP and users, including yourself, and no one will have any issue with films you wish to talk about (probably)...

13. Blade96

Blade96 shotokan karateka

one animated series I love to watch was never realeased on dvd. at least the second half of second season wasnt. So, I supposed the people left it on youtube for people to watch since its not released so they never complained about copyright. I think sometimes they'll do that.

also, i have vhs tapes and a vcr. I also have a dvd player. I have the vcr cause i have stuff that i dont have on a dvd. Yep they still get sold all the time. before the flea market i went to closed, they were selling hundreds of tapes there.

14. Chimpcheng

You are quite right. YouTube and sites like Crackle do show films/tv shows legally, these are well sign posted.

15. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

I think when people watch downloaded films they think that all they are doing is depriving Brad Pitt of a couple of quid. But it's more than that.
    I work in the games industry so it's slightly different to films but piracy LITERALLY costs people their jobs and sometimes futures and careers. Ordinary people just trying to earn money and support their families. Whole studios can close down if a game gets heavily pirated rather than bought in the same numbers.
    If the cost/profit margin gets unbalanced.
    I dare say the same is partly true in the film industry for people that work in effects studios, costume design, make-up, etc.
    Not the film stars themselves or the director but the best boy or the key grip.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2012
  16. vampyregirl

vampyregirl Moved on

I don't think you understand. The films available on Youtube have had their theatrical run. They end up on Youtube when someone uploads the DVD on youtube. The film has already made its box office money, but i guess being available on Youtube can cut into DVD/Blue Ray sales.

17. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

I don't think you understand.
    It's not just single acts of piracy or a bit of Youtube watching.
    It's a background context of people not wanting to pay for stuff.

"Wait for that to come on the torrents or my mate Dave to get me a copy."

Just makes it all seem OK and just eats away at stuff.
    Companies have to factor in how they are going to re-coup their costs in the face people that are quite happy to watch it but don't want to pay.

18. Chimpcheng

I think he understands plenty.

As I understand it, a lot of theatrically released movies make the bulk of their money on DVD/Blu-Ray sales. They then make more money when TV companies, such as SKY, buy the exclusive rights to screen it on one of their pay monthly movie channels or PPV. Even more money is made when terrestrial (FTA) stations bid on the rights to screen the movie.

I think I learnt this from one of Kevin Smith's podcasts...

19. Dan Bian

Dan Bian Neither Dan, nor Brian

I'll confirm this.
    Last year, with the release of Tim Burton's 'Alice in Wonderland', there was a big hoohah amongst UK cinema chains, the major players all, for a period, boycotted the film, because Disney wanted to shorten the period between cinematic release and dvd release, so they would make more money, quickly. Why? Because theatrical release is a flash-figure. The main bulk comes from the ongoing home-release sales and broadcast rights sales.

20. Chimpcheng

Thats right. I remember that. A quick google says it was Odeon cinema that boycotted the film, but then quickly reversed that decision.