Hung Gar

Discussion in 'Kung Fu' started by BklynJames, Mar 21, 2016.

1. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

I'm younger than you!

2. Tom bayley

Tom bayley Valued Member

But I am younger at heart! :)

3. Tom bayley

Tom bayley Valued Member

whether you talk about chi or elastic energy, muscular energy, kinetic energy, and force the benefit is in having a short-hand that you can use to begin to see how your body is moving in any situation.

Chi does not have to be esoteric.

The language of chi is used to describe a wide range of real physical things. The flow of breath. Pressure in different body cavities. Elastic energy stored in the muscles. Chemical energy, blood flow. Its a very long list. Chinese medicine has been observing reel effects in the body for hundreds of years. There is a complex language describing genuine anatomical, physiological and metabolic processes, based on chi.

To me as a martial artist I am not bothered if the explanations of real processes using the idea of chi are correct or not. I am not even bothered whether chi actually exists or not. What I am bothered about is whether this observation of real physical things and practical understanding of processes can help me to train better, to be more healthy, and to apply Techniques better.

The idea of chi in its different forms is intimately woven through Hung ga. It is used to improve practical training and application. to me abandoning the idea of chi for some half understood notion from western science is throwing the baby (a language for understanding complexity of anatomy physiology, physics, and psychology, etc used to describe practical solutions to practical problems within the art ) with the bath water (the idea of chi as some esoteric energy.)

Last edited: Apr 13, 2016
  4. Tom bayley

Tom bayley Valued Member

As for the " the head is glass stuff" this is probably an analogy useful for beginning to think about what you want to do to your opponent.

My teacher said to me that the head is the general and the body is the army. Interfere with the general, pull the head off balance, block vision, distract or disable the head and the army (the opponents body) will not fight effectively.

5. The Iron Fist

The Iron Fist Banned Banned

To be sure brother I think you've summed this up well. There is a range of interpreting "chi' obviously, from the literal/symbolic and quite frankly very simple meaning parallels to physical energy (some may argue vast oversimplification, but so what), to the extreme esoteric and everything in between based on people's personal beliefs, New Age leanings, traditional Chinese medical training, and so forth.

I never found the Hung gar "chi" training to be very esoteric, because even though it's the term used to describe the noticeable physical sensations of the basic and advanced exercises, it's not particular complex or mystical in nature. Most of the training is geared around learning body awareness, learning to control breathing as a means to maximize physical feats, and so on. But I'm sure for every lid there is a pot and for every teacher of kung fu who 'keeps it simple, stupid', there must be at least a few that will overly complicate things and add in all sorts of personal bias or straight up delusion.

I think this is also what separates most Hung gar from many of the mystical "Chi oil" sales types and charlatans. Those people like the ones who claim chi can start fires or move remote objects or unlock magical mysteries of the universe are clearly purposefully trying to make chi into an esoteric topic, in order to prevent simple discussions but also portray the illusion that they alone know the 'secret' and so forth. In Hung gar, you learn the 'secret' on the first day: sweat and toil are the keys to maxing out your "Chi". Exercise! exercise! exercise!

Last edited: Apr 13, 2016
  6. BklynJames

BklynJames Kung Fu New Jack

So here is an issue Ive noticed. How the heck do I remember all the steps in the forms, smh.... We learned the second series the other night and by the time I got home I basically forgot most of them.

7. EmptyHandGuy

EmptyHandGuy Valued Member

Practice, practice and more practice! You could try and write them down after class or see if your allowed to video the moves maybe?

8. Tom bayley

Tom bayley Valued Member

Practice, practice, practice.

Arrive early and run through the form before the start of session. remind yourself of what you want to ask the instructor about during the session.

During the session ask questions of your instructor.

Take a pen and a notebook and ask if you can make notes in the session. If you do take notes don't make them too detailed otherwise you will spend all your time writing not practicing.

If you have any breaks in the session use them to run though the new moves you have learned that session.

Before you leave the class walk through the new parts again. When you get home quickly walk through the new parts again.

repeat next day and again three days after.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2016
  9. Tom bayley

Tom bayley Valued Member

Total jinks man. didn't see your post was writing mine. Totally true. When it comes to tcma a martial artist is someone who practices a martial art.

10. Tom bayley

Tom bayley Valued Member

At first I prefer beginers to make written notes becaues makeing writen notes forces the person to engage with and think about the material. Video notes are good later on but they require no form of mental engagement so in themselves don't help with learning.

11. Tom bayley

Tom bayley Valued Member

an example of brief notes. for first 14 seconds

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gW1pcIzSZho"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gW1pcIzSZho[/ame]

man stance - double knife hand, double suppressing hand (palm up), close fists, double upward fists, retreat to armpits, double push to side (finger to heaven) x 3, double answer the phone, double suppressing hand to side, double spear to side, double tiger rip, salute.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2016
  12. BklynJames

Yeah I need to grab them b4 class and walk thru them. I did the video the first time around. As soon as I got home I video taped it. This second one threw me for a loop. Good grief..

13. Tom bayley

Tom bayley Valued Member

When teaching hung gar it is not unusual to have to stop the session early because the students brain is fried. :)

14. BklynJames

It was great the other day. The class was suppose to be one hour but went for two..!! And yes my mind was fried...

15. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

I have that problem after seminars. I can't learn a whole form in two days.

So, I learn a sequence. Do it over and over and over until I have it. Then I find an instructor and have them show me JUST the next few moves. Just like 4 to 6 moves. Then I practice the whole thing again and again until I have it. Then I add on another 4 to 6 moves. A few moves every time I workout- until I have the whole thing.

16. Subitai

Subitai Valued Member

Dude sorry....I just had to chuckle on the "Double answer the phone" comment.:)

17. Tom bayley

Tom bayley Valued Member

18. Tom bayley

Tom bayley Valued Member

This is really important - Bite size pieces. Memory can be a bit like juggling, too many balls in the air at once and everything can fall apart. Try bites of 3-4 moves to begin with and see how you go.

19. BklynJames

So I lucked out tonight. The guy who got me into Hung was at my kids TKD class last night. I explained to him the issue I had with the form and asked him if anyone had a video of it. He was saying he didnt know of any but if I wanted to video it he would do it there. So I picked up the first thirty moves and now I can study it and try and repeat it little by little. The first ten I've been practicing for two weeks and think I have it down. But wil need it tweaked.

20. Tom bayley

Tom bayley Valued Member

I've been practicing taming the tiger for 25 years and still need to tweak it. :)