Humble

Discussion in 'Kenpo' started by RevIV, Nov 1, 2006.

1. RevIV

RevIV Valued Member

My teacher told me an old saying back when i was a teenager and i have used it to this day and teach it to my students.

"To be truly humble is to know everybody and not care who knows you."

Is this not what BGile has been doing in some way? He doesnt feel the need to tell everyone his accomplishments, He chooses to wear a white belt when highly recognized black belts wish to promote him. Think to yourself do you want to learn from someone who is humble about his background, or someone who throws their credentials in your face? My first and current teacher held black belts in a few systems but i barely knew any of this until i myself was one of his black belts. I do not know BGile but like others, I have read the many posts he has written as well as John Bishop's and Danjo's. Maybe my brain functions differently but i pick up on the subtle words BGile uses sometimes and i think others do to, they just don't admit it because they want others to think (or stay out of the "in" crowd). There was a post in some forum awhile ago- BGile states that he trained at John Leonings school but not with Mr. Leoning but one of his high ranking students. I do not remember the thread completely and BGile did not state this but here is my quetion for BGile.. Was the person that you did train with back at John Leonings school, GM Victor "Sonny" Gascon?
    In Peace
    Jesse Dwire IV

2. kempojosh

kempojosh Valued Member

is there any "real" point to this thread?

3. KempoFist

KempoFist Attention Whore

Will Jesus love me more if I'm humble like Gary?

4. RevIV

RevIV Valued Member

Actually Kempojosh i thought there were some points..
    One point being that everyone is calling Gary out on his qaulifications, and I was answering a possibility of why he was not saying anything with my qoute. The next point was to see if i was reading correctly into some of his posts or if i was completely off, hence my question.
    In Peace,
    Jesse

5. RevIV

RevIV Valued Member

Will you love yourself more?

6. KempoFist

KempoFist Attention Whore

Not possible. I don't think narcissistic is a strong enough word for me :love:

7. RevIV

RevIV Valued Member

thats just funny

8. BGile

BGile Banned Banned

RevIV
    Thanks for your thoughts and yes I was able to meet and discuss and learn while listening and observing. I have mentioned to Mike Rash to say Hi to Sonny from the young X Marine so I guess you could say I met him.
    But here is a problem it was 40 years ago and several of the guy's who taught were Filipino and not very big. I am not sure who all I got to train with but they were all not very big guys.
    I was and am 6'2"+ and about 165 back then where I am 230 now. It was funny because I really had to get low and learn the horse and stay down to be in the right stance to do the hand and punchs correct unless I was just kicking or hitting the air, but one thing the horse stance was, we did a lot of it. I also always hit speed bags one of my favorite thing is to hit all the different bags, I do it almost daily still. (hours sometimes) :eek:

John Bishop mentions no one remember's me though, but here is the important thing I was there and I remember.

I then went into (67) LEO and learned the Kiakijutsu that was being taught to us by Bob Koga and from there we were taught by students of Gene LeBell (Bob Smitson) on the use of grabs and chokes. I studied constantly while on the job and trained all the time.
    I trained with Gary Payne, one of the best students Bob turned out, Bob mentioned that about 2 weeks ago to me. I was working at Foothill division with Gary for years. I trained also on the Universal gyms, we had, and ran all the time.

If it was not for my desire to stay in the best shape I could be I would have been injured more then I was. I was at 195 most of my tour.

When I went to Metro Division downtown at Georgia street we had to train every day and they allowed us an xtra hour minimum of comp time to do it.
    Most worked out more and we shot all the time, we were able to because it was a hi risk job "Metro" and we worked downtown a lot and stopped by the academy to shoot and train...

We were working and on call 24 hours when it was our time working. We were never able to be anyplace unless "114" desk, had your phone # we were on call up all the time, always the hot jobs, most problems and we were called to take it over so the officers in regular Patrol could handle their jobs they were not trained for. Patrol was trained but not like us.

Called it, "crime suppression" and we were TAD to Gang detail in Watts a lot, tour was each squad of 10 was there a month and then we traded. We were on 24 hour call and we worked University Division during the football season and the Rams. Lots of trouble in that Division.

I got pensioned off in 78 after a couple of back surgeries I was pretty bitter but got over it or not :eek:

But between surgeries and the reason for the second is I did to much training and got injured again at a training day in Las Padres forest where we had the training. But duing the time I was injured again I worked inside, I was a training officer and hooked to SWAT. One of the reason's for this is because I was an expert shot with pistol and rifle (I was high man in Boot Camp of the Platoon in USMC) and a sniper. M1 Garand, BAR both 30-06 and 1903A1 bolt 30-06, and 45 cal hand gun.

Plus I was an expert on the LAPD, with the 38 revolver and other weapons of slight distruction like the baton, sap and flashlight and with the empty hand which we really did not use much, unless you were Choking them out.

So I was used in that position while in a IOD status which ment no more field time...

Since you wanted to know more and were nice I gave you extra. :)

Gary