Hughes talks retirement

Discussion in 'Fight Discussions' started by Sever, Nov 11, 2006.

1. Sever

Sever Valued Member

Source

Wow, two more fights, then the ride's over. I'm not his biggest fan, but he's undoubtedly an MMA legend and it'll be weird seeing someone else with the welterweight belt after he's gone. I still hope GSP beats him

2. Apotheosis

Apotheosis Valued Member

If he loses, I wonder how that will change things.

3. neryo_tkd

neryo_tkd Valued Member

you think he'll lose both?

4. Apotheosis

Apotheosis Valued Member

He might...

GSP is going to be very difficult, and if Hughes beats GSP who will he fight?

Probably BJ or GSP both of whom are very good.

5. spirez

spirez Valued Member

I respect Matt Hughes and what he has achieved but the welterweight division has some excellent fighters so i don't think he will be missed as, for example, Chuck Liddell would be if he retired and left a vacant spot in the light heavyweight division.

To be honest i wasn't that impressed with his win over BJ Penn and can't wait to see Penn and GSP battling it out in the future

6. Sever

Sever Valued Member

If Hughes loses to St Pierre, his last match will probably be the rubber match, if he beats St Pierre, I'd like to think it'd be the BJ Penn rubber match because that's something that's not going to rest after Penn's injury was confirmed. He could probably GnP decision Silva if he moved up the weight class, but there's little to gain from that from the UFC's perspective - Hughes clears out 170 then takes the 185lb belt and then retires, leaving them with two vacant titles. That's a lot of money and criticism for Zuffa while they hammer out who gets title shots etc. They get the positive press for having a legendary fighter who did that, but in the aftermath, that's a lot of work and press/ fan heat that they don't necessarily want or need

7. Apotheosis

Apotheosis Valued Member

I'd like to see Hughes in 3 more fights regardless of the outcomes unless it is a loss due to freak injury or something.

Hughes vs GSP-We get to see this

Hughes vs BJ Round 3

Hughes vs Diego- Would be a good send-off for HUghes to either dominate Diego or would be a good way to solidify Diego if he beat Hughes

8. Apotheosis

Apotheosis Valued Member

Some new info- During the Ultimate Fighter 4 finale both GSP and Hughes were interviewed. During that interview Hughes was asked about his future plans and he responded by saying he had several more years of fighting left in him.

9. Agutrot-

Agutrot- Jack of all Trades

Does anyone else really want to see Hughes fight at 185? That would make for some AMAZING fights,

10. Pitfighter

Pitfighter Valued Member

Heck yea. I personally think Hughes is the dominant guy in welterweight, even though I'm not a huge fan of him. But I think he should be fighting a middleweight.

Not only is he able to move up but I think he'll get stiffer competition and even more competition in the middleweight.

11. Apotheosis

Apotheosis Valued Member

You cannot get stiffer competetion than he has at welterweight..

With GSP, BJ Penn, Diego, Koscheck, Riggs etc...

12. Doublejab

Doublejab formally Snoop

Whenever he retires I think he should be a hall of famer. People often critise him but he must have one of the greatest records of any MMA fighter EVER! One of the all time greats.

13. Apotheosis

Apotheosis Valued Member

No doubt about that, he is an MMA legend even though he is a bit of a dick.