How would I wash a gi?

Discussion in 'Judo' started by Chr9is, Apr 2, 2006.

1. Existence

Existence Super Saiyajin :o

thats gross dude. :eek:

what pmitch said; cold wash and hang dry. thats what i do.

2. Rhea

Rhea Laser tag = NOT MA... Supporter

from experience, wash in machine at about 40 degrees, its warm enough to get the stains out and it won't shrink so much after the first couple washes. The blood from last night all came off straight away in one wash.

3. Poogle

Poogle New Member

That is actually scary. How can you not wash your gi????

I do remember being afraid to wash my gi as a novice because I didn't know what would happen to it if I put it in a washing machine, and trying to wash it by hand every week in a huge bath tub of cool water. Eventually I heard someone talk about sticking their gi in the washing machine, and I never looked back. I also tumble dry it, I know that that is supposed to be bad for it, but my first gi is still going strong (ok, with a patch or two in places) and to be honest, I'd rather spend a bit of extra money replacing my gis more often and have the convenience of being able to stick them in a machine to dry.

I honestly cannot understand how someone can tell you not to wash your gi!! Are you sure he wasn't joking?

The correct answer has already been given - buy a size or two up, and then wash it hot. If you want to get blood out tho (if we're talking about a lot of blood as opposed to just a few spots) soak in cold salt water first or you'll set the blood with the hot water.

If you aren't sure what size gi you need, find someone whose shrunken gi fits you, and look at what size it is(was!) (or ask them if it's not labelled). Buy that size, shrink it.

4. Evil Betty

Evil Betty Birdy, birdy birdy

Anyone who doesn't wash their gi deserves to be kicked in the teeth. Same for those who don't wash their belts. Nasty mystical hippies. I like to know that there isn't going to be an outbreak of disease within a club because people have sacred beliefs towards athletic clothing.

5. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

You SHOULD wash your Gi, this is why we buy a Gi which is slightly too large. It will shrink after the first wash, and maybe the second and third, but after that it will be fine.

6. TheDarkJester

TheDarkJester 90% Sarcasm, 10% Mostly Good Advice.

You should be asking your mother this question. Not a bunch of guys.

7. Cyrax

Cyrax Forever Student

Just make sure you do it in cold water or it will shrink...unless of course it is too big and thats waht you want...but for the sake of others...and ultimately yourself...wash your gi frequently

8. piratebrido

piratebrido internet tough guy

That's what I do.

9. Dojo

Dojo Shotokan fanatic

oh God gratious .. that was something. Don't wash your gi? Your instructor is either kidding you or from another planet. I get my gis to be larger than I need and then when they shrink they'll be OK. Keep us posted on the events :D