How well do you heal?

Discussion in 'Injuries and Prevention' started by StevieB8363, Apr 16, 2012.

1. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

A little from column (a) a lot from column (b) - basically I dropped a 30kg bag of gravel out the car and made a reflex grab for it....you can probably guess the rest!

2. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

I guess you have not perfected your Chi healing

3. StevieB8363

StevieB8363 Valued Member

Sometimes good reflexes work against you. But how does the ongoing soreness affect you as a LEO? Is it a case of "Stop or I'll shoot 'cause I sure aren't going to run after you"?

I think that would work on me actually...

4. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

When I first did it the belt played hell with my back. In cells I do not wear the full kit so it is not so bad - I was off for about 3 months when I first did it, bt it is just background pain I kind of "zone out" day to day

I really , really should get it looked at more often

5. boards

boards Its all in the reflexes!

Have you looked at the Esther Gokhale "Eight Steps to a Pain Free Back"? I have never tried it, but it seems to be a fairly popular method of relieving back pain.
    http://egwellness.com/introduction

6. Anth

Anth Daft. Supporter

Cuts, bruises, grazes and sprains generally heal quite quickly. Weak point is anything below my knees - being 6' tall and having very large, very flat feet mean any foot injury takes its time to heal. Hurt the bone below my big toe a couple of years ago and, because of the flat feet, 6 months later it still hadn't stopped hurting. Occasionally my achilles will start playing up 10 years after I pulled that (went for a bike ride, 50 miles later I thought "maybe I should have warmed up a bit before I started?") but nothing a load of deep heat wont solve.

7. Seventh

Seventh Super Sexy Sushi Time

45 degree break right in the left humerus. Was stiff for a day or two out of the cast, mobile after that, doing planks and push ups a week to two later.

8. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

Interesting thread. Bruises in general - don't get em much. Shins seem to be beyond the point of much bruising. But oddly enough when you kick to the head or the neck the foot wraps around and my toes tend connect heavily with the back of the heady of the opponent. Maybe too much ankle flexibility... and it results in black toes. They go from purple to black and jeebus... looks like they'll fall off shortly... then a few days and a mix of hot and cold pads and they're back and then I usually go through a good regimen of massage.

More than anything now I focus on regular massage. Every other day if I can and a fair amount of foam rolling. I'll normally do the Thai massage and I'm a generous tipper and that reputation goes a ways when you want to them to really focus their knees on your lumber or your their elbows on your inner thigh etc. I'm constantly amazed at how hard they're willing to work if you show some respect and kindness... and a bit of cash. The value for money ratio is insanely high on massage.

Though I've noticed that scrapes that break the skin can sometimes take ages to heal. This can drive me nuts. What? That scabs been there 4 weeks. Urgh. Annoying. I've often wondered what it is that causes it.

These days I'm pushing the adventure racing and the BJJ in a big way. So I focus on getting naps in every day. Have to no choice. I'm also up by 4:45 or 5am most morning and running people through their paces by 5:30 most days... come rain or shine. I only cancel for Black Rainstorm warnings. So that has been a big help.

Sleeping in a totally blacked out room with a bit of AC on to drop the temp has also been a big help. Laptop/TV whatever... gets turned off two hours before bedtime. Lights get put down low at about the same time. I take my rest and recovery more serious than ever. The results pay off.

For supplementation that has noticeably helped - EPA/DHA fish oils (Poliquin and various brands) - at the moment experimenting with UDO's... and I do a ZMA from time to time if feeling a bit run down and I've gotten on a regular path of B-complex. Amazing for deep sleep without the crazy dreams of the ZMA.

As for diet I've worked hard to cut back my carbs heavily... mindblowing. Upped my protein (red meat) and cut down my dairy. I'll love it till the day I die but I've noticed a big change once I started to be aware of things that breakdown too fast in the system. Heavy into reading up on how my insulin sensitivity works and hoping that I keep the energy levels I'm experiencing with my daily BJJ practice and hill runs.

My pet peeve... stubbed toes on the bleedin' coffee table. :( :cry:

9. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

The difference between me and my wife in this sort of thing is amazing.
    She can have solid black bruises from our daughter kneeling on her or pinching her while I can take pretty hefty kicks, punches and knocks with no outward signs.
    Dunno if there's a difference between men and women in this regard (although my wife does have underlying health issues that I'm sure contribute)?

10. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

I'd imagine the high humidity you have there and sweating from exercise would add to the length of healing a skin injury.

11. slipthejab

Hmmm perhaps. Since this time of year we run around 98% relative humidity... that could effect it. I've often wondered how much of it is genetically influenced as well.

12. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

I used to have great recuperative powers but now, once I hit about 48-49 years old, just can't heal like I used to.

13. slipthejab

:D I hear ya man... things change in a big way. I think if people were able to grasp this concept at a younger age and actually make use of it when planning their training their mobility and quality of life as they move past 40 would be much much better.

14. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

I hate you! :woo:

Not really, but seriously, at like 37 something happened. I've always been slow to heal cuts, but it used to be that sprains would heal almost immediately, and bruises pretty quickly. Not anymore. That soft tissue damage seems now to never go away. Oh, it's so frustrating! Hannibal, I sympathize. I don't quite have your problem, but I can hardly sprint because I pulled something last July and it knots up when I try to run quickly. A couple days ago I fell on my skateboard and hurt the palm area on my hand, and now I can't do a pushup because my hand/wrist won't support the weight. Huh?

:woo: on my body.

15. seiken steve

seiken steve golden member

I'm trying to be more conscious of this now, hard to make it seem real though when your 19 and pretty much injury free.

Hips are a worry for me as they're pretty tight at this age so I try to keep on top of that.

As a coach what would you say the too thing are that the younger dudes should keep on top of?

Or for the older dudes what do you wish you'd done?

16. slipthejab

I'll come back and answer more in depth once I'm back home... but my two primary things that fit for both are:

Sleep and Nutrition.

Better sleep and better nutrition are the keys to excelling in whatever your chosen sport are. If you have those two down you are going to be far ahead of the curve. You can't go wrong with a proper journal to track and control either habit. It's taken me years to get them in some semblance of order myself... but whether you're 21 or you're 41 - sleep and nutrition are the two single biggest things I see most people slack on and the effects are so much deeper than most people care to notice.

More later.

17. Anth

Anth Daft. Supporter

Gah! Less than 12 hours after posting this I was flat out in A&E with suspected spinal damage! :bang:

18. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

Try getting some deep tissue massage on it, I found that worked wonders with an old hamstring pull I had.

Sleep is the big thing I fail on! I'm an evening/night-time person, I've never been good at mornings and I'm really crap at going to bed early, so when I'm working I often get to the point where I'm trying to get by on 6-6.5hrs sleep and I just can't do it - particularly when I'm training. I really need 8-9 hrs a night.

Jeez! Hope you're OK!

19. Anth

Anth Daft. Supporter

Still got a stiff neck but one doctor thought something on an xray looked like a fractured vertebrae so I needed a CT scan. Ended up being flat on my back for over 12 hours, looking at the ceiling and going without food for over 15 (causing a migraine) before being told to be good and avoid MA for six weeks.

Advice for anyone else learning to roll in MA - if you land on your neck and feel/hear a crunch, don't sit for 45 minutes then drive home before going to hospital, get yersel a hambulance! Especially if you feel pain in yer thumb from the crunch. :( :bang:

20. boards

boards Its all in the reflexes!

Glad you are ok Anth. I second your last part, if you hurt your neck go and get it checked quickly.