How useful is judo in a real life situation?

Discussion in 'Judo' started by GrandmasterAdam, Aug 2, 2008.

1. SouthWind

SouthWind New Member

Strictly from a noob MMA fighter, I'd contend that Judo is probably the most practical of each martial art. That being said, I know very little Judo. The difference is this, in MMA you fight on a relatively soft mat so the impact of throws and takedowns aren't quite as severe. In real life one doesn't typically get into a street fight on a mat, therefore knowing how to slam you're foe onto the concrete could prove quite useful. Aside from that Judo throws seem to me to typically end up in a good position for a submission. Judo doesn't seem the top art in MMA, but in my opinion I think it's probably the most practical for a street fight.

2. ChiefBrock

ChiefBrock New Member

judo is very practical for a bar or street fight.... other than professional boxing most fights I have witnessed or had the misfortune of being in always went to ground. A couple swings are made and if nobody is a knockout then hugging and wrestling ensues.... Judo and other arts with grappling, chokes, and bars are a great way to subdue an aggressor and create an opportunity for your retreat whether that is after a full back throw of individual to knock the air out of them or a choke that renders the person unconscious where you can leave and get out of harms way. Not sure I have ever seen a street fight or otherwise that stayed up on its feet for more than a minute at most..... then again I am not out there banging in the streets every day and night either.

I have a few years of judo and of Kuk Sool......and personally believe a strong grappling background with some effective strikes, chokes and limb bars is the most useful in this situation.

3. Slindsay

Slindsay All violence is necessary

Bizare but I nthink the guy who gets thrown in the sequence begining at 2.10 in the video has fought against a couple of guys from my club :)

4. Rob T.

Rob T. Valued Member

There are too many variables to really be able to answer, IMHO Judo (or wrestling, or sombo, or JJJ that use similar throws, or good aikido, or other similar) is great to have as part of your arsenal.

A good clean throw can do massive damage (I have a smashed collar bone that agrees following a sweet valley-drop on mats in the Dojo), however if your opponents gets a good grip or not quite getting the throw it can lead to both of you being on the floor. Less than ideal!

A pure judoka may have problems when up against an accomplished striker, something most don’t encounter when training. (No I’m not saying one will beat the other, that doesn’t come down to the Art practised).

Please note large amount of ifs, mays, mosts, etc.

In short Judo’s a great art, the skills it teaches would be 4th and 5th (1st Run, 2nd Talk, 3rd Strike, 4th Standing grapple, 5th Ground grapple) on my choice of street defences. Far from first choice but definitely a must know. I’m thoroughly enjoying some BJJ at the mo to help with my 5th, and of course to have some fun!

Rob