"How to Win A Street Fight With Head Movement" (video)

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Kuma, Jul 17, 2013.

1. kernewek

kernewek Valued Member

'Fraid not. we are working on a few video clips for our website, but I don't think we have got any examples of those particular moves as yet.

Essentially we do what he does. We call it '7 dials', as the drill involves moving to the seven points of the compass except straight ahead. (I hope nobody has to ask why :).) The basic move is just to move the head out of the way of the strike and step with it to maintain balance. The other, as he does as well, is to use the knees to circle round and duck under a second punch.

You don't have to change your stance before you get a counter in, though. As long as you keep the movement fairly minimal and keep your balance you can do a decent counter in the same movement.

It isn't foolproof on its own, but then show me a technique that is. It all depends how you follow it up. It isn't easy and is quite hard work to keep moving constantly, keep mobile, keep your balance and still be aware of what the other guy is doing. Still, that's why we practise.

2. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

The "head circling" is used in Chinese wrestling to

- dodge a "haymaker":

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ozqjSw2LzdQ"]head circle 1 - YouTube[/ame]

- escape an upper collar control:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2vr75864Uc"]head circle - YouTube[/ame]

- dodge a head lock:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BFvOlXeiNeY"]head circling - YouTube[/ame]

It's not quite commonly used in other TCMA styles. From all the forms that I have learned, I have not seen it exists in any of the TCMA forms. Why TCMA does not emphasize on this technique enough? I don't know the answer for that.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2013
  3. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

To allow your opponent's fists to be so close to your head is not a good strategy. You should reverse the situation and try to fight in your opponent's territory instead of to fight in your own territory. In order to do that, you have to take off your "striking" hat and put on your "grappling" hat. You should try to "wrap" your opponent's arms ASAP.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2013
  4. Rebel Wado

Rebel Wado Valued Member

The model I was taught for head movement was that in most cases you only needed to move half the width of your body to make most attacks miss. The key was not to evade attacks but instead to develop a method that constantly made the opponent have to reacquire their target. This can cause them to hesitate.

Imagine it like an airplane dogfight, the enemy gets you almost in their sights but before they can hit you, they lose lock on and have to reacquire it.

I was taught to always combine head movement with back peddle or moving away. Only when the opponent hesitates can you slip and enter. For example, if the opponent throws a left jab and my head movement causes him to miss, he hesitates and doesn't throw his right cross because he hasn't acquired his target again. I slip in with my left jab and hit him followed by my right cross. He then might throw a late and ineffective right cross while he is blocking my right cross with his face.

The reason I mentioned this methodology is because I am moving away... this makes it hard to entangle my opponent's arms. At least difficult until there is a point that I can slip and enter (e.g. a point where my opponent hesitates because they can't acquire their target and their rhythm is broken).

Last edited: Jul 18, 2013
  5. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

daaaaaaamn, that's some SWEET head movement.

this reminds me of the time i got penalized at a karate comp for avoiding a punch by bobbing to the side instead of blocking it... (never mind that the punch went straight through the space where my head had been... silly people)

6. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

You just can't dodge your opponent to death.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2013
  7. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

Say WHAT?!?!?

8. PointyShinyBurn

PointyShinyBurn Valued Member

He's demoing a skill that's relevant to fighting, not demonstrating how he would conduct himself in an actual fight.

9. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

That was, it must be said, very cool indeed.

10. LemonSloth

LemonSloth Laugh and grow fat!

:wow:

Erm....what?!

11. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

No, but you can wear him out! :D

It's a bit like Ali's 'rope-a-dope' strategy against George Foreman: let the opponent make all the running and punch themselves into exhaustion, then move in for the kill.

Obviously it's a high-risk strategy, and you have to be good to attempt it. But the video showed just how effective good head movement can be, and there are countless examples of boxers using it in the ring. Not necessarily doing nothing but dodging for long periods, but more often mixing it up with counter-punches.

12. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

It's one skill in isolation.

I don't think anyone expects that to be the only skill you need in a fight.

Calling it "head movement" is also a misnomer. The whole body is involved, and structure must be maintained for mobility and counters.