"How to Win A Street Fight With Head Movement" (video)

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Kuma, Jul 17, 2013.

1. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qSX0PCQXiO4"]How To Win A Street Fight WIth Head Movement, Learn Simple (But Awesome) Street Fighting Techniques - YouTube[/ame]

Though obviously you need a bit more than head movement to win a street fight, it does show the difficulty the average person has dealing with someone with head movement (typically from a boxing or MMA background). This is something a lot of martial artists don't take into account - both moving the head as a defense and landing a punch on an opponent with good head movement.

Overall, I just thought it was an interesting and funny video and wanted to share.

2. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

I've a feeling...that if he started throwing some punches back not only would he have finished them in short order but he'd also have taken more shots in the process.
    I think putting the shots in himself (and having to maintain a stance to do so) would have left him more in the pocket and more vulnerable to combination blows.
    Good vid though. :)

3. kernewek

kernewek Valued Member

Looks a lot like our avoidance moves - we do that all the time :)

4. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

The problem for me is that my reaction speed is poor.
    I think a safer bet for me in that situation would be to tie the arms up and work head, knees and elbows etc, from a clinch.
    Ironically that's the same sort of tactics advocated by a lot of modern bunkai guys (like Iain Abernethy) and seems to be the main thrust of kata.

5. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

Do you have any video examples? I'd be interested in seeing them.

6. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

That was pretty impressive.

7. holyheadjch

There are a lot of openings for big counters in those drills that wouldn't have left him very open.

We do drills like this every so often, and it's nothing like as easy as he makes it look.

8. SoKKlab

SoKKlab The Cwtch of Death!

Good Slipping, Weaving etc skills in that clip. And some comedy gold too.

You can tamp the Slipster's advantage somewhat by:

A) Stepping on his lead foot and pinning it (as the first guy did accidentally)

And you'll land approx 50% more punches when he's 'anchored' like that

B) Throwing upwards punches into his head - uppercuts, shovels and 'choppers'

From below his peripheral vision. Harder to deal with and see coming

I do these drills occasionally with training partners.

It's called 'rock n roll' drill. It's hard work for all involved.

Start slowly and keep your hands down at first. To get used to keeping your eyes open. Facing forwards. And having punches etc come at you.

The object being to slip the punches whilst moving around your centre.

We do our slipping a bit differently. There's no encouragement to snap-back - lean-back - that you see in a lot of modern boxing and some muay thai. As it's easier to take you down when you lean back.

A lot of Bare Knuckle Boxing traditions have significant amounts of wrestling in them. So you can't afford to be leaning backwards with your weight posted over your rear foot (from a weapons pov too this can be a bad idea leaving your front leg out like that).

The guy who wouldn't do it for 2 dollars has no money sense.

1 minute's work for 2 dollars equals an hourly rate of 60 x 2 = 120 dollars an hour. I would of took it.

9. holyheadjch

I don't know. I'd have been very suspicious of a guy asking me to glove up and punch him in the face.

10. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

I think that's nub of my worry about it.
    Compared to what he was doing crashing in behind a cover, securing a clinch or limb control to minimise damage and room for the other guy to swing seems a lot easier do and a lot easier maintain or default to under pressure or after already having been hit.

11. SoKKlab

SoKKlab The Cwtch of Death!

Could be worse. He could of asked you to Glove up and explore his Orifiii :)

12. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

Pretty nice moves, but him saying it was "easy" at the end kind of ruined it.

I was waiting for someone to take him down, so we could see how good he is at dodging blows when on the ground :)

Last edited: Jul 17, 2013
  13. Alansmurf

Alansmurf Aspire to Inspire before you Expire Supporter

I was expecting a good old fashioned Glasgow kiss.....

A headbutt to end a fight ....

Nice moves good balance good hands ..

Thanks Kuma

14. John R. Gambit

John R. Gambit The 'Rona Wrangler

Impressive moves. Very entertaining. I think I might end up subscribing to his other free videos available when you register on his site.

15. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

Nice movement. Reminds me of Herol 'Bomber' Graham. At his peak he would spend most of a fight making his opponent punch and miss until they wore themselves out!

16. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

I just tried registering on the site to see what else was there, but when I tried to click the link sent to my email it gave me a Bad Gateway error. The site seems to be a work in progress at the mo.

mitch

17. holyheadjch

worked for me a few minutes ago

Maybe the flood of traffic from MAP crashed the site

18. LeaFirebender

LeaFirebender Ice Bear has ninja stars

This guy seems legit! I wish I could dodge like that!

19. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

You can - Learn to box ;)

20. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

Not me. Gimme the gloves!