How to use a kyoketsu shoge?

Discussion in 'Weapons' started by Ninja Zach, Mar 3, 2013.

1. Aegis

Aegis River Guardian Admin Supporter

The answer is fairly simple - you need to use a weapon you've had training in. Your instructor can't teach you a weapon he doesn't himself know how to use, you can't teach yourself the effective use of a complex weapon, so you need to ask yourself who benefits from this demonstration you're trying to put on?

If you want to learn the use of this weapon, you need to find someone who already knows how it was used correctly and ask them to teach you those techniques. Trying to learn enough of it to put on a demo without a proper instructor is potentially very dangerous and likely won't result in you being able to use the weapon in any meaningful sense of the word.

Classical weapons aren't learned well through trial and error.

2. Kuniku

Kuniku The Hairy Jujutsuka

While we don't train in it, I'd be more than happy doing a 'demo' for a Meteor Hammer, just because of how similar it is to the fire poi I do, and the fact I have a set of fire poi that are the same design as a meteor hammer, wouldn't perhaps have an awful lot of MA stuff in it, but it would look pretty =D

3. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

The important word here is training. You don't have any and can't access any via your Dojang.

Honestly it's not too hard a concept to grasp. If you want to learn how to use a certain weapon the you take the time to seek qualified instruction in that weapon.

I'd really question what the heck your teacher is playing at. There's not only a safety issue for you but also those around you, a training Kyoketsu shoge possibly isn't going to cause much harm but a meteor hammer going astray will do.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2013
  4. poryu

poryu Valued Member

How embarrassing,.

Look mate not being funny, Just tell your teacher you do karate not ninjutsu and you should be demonstrating Karate nothing else.

Showing something you never studied is going to make you look fools in front of everyone especially if someone is watching who has used it.

5. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

Surprise them.

Get your daddy's shotgun and do this routine.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tIrVENOk2E4"]ROTC Rifle Drill Practice - YouTube[/ame]

As the grand finale, rack one and pop it into the sky.

If you're not teaching by the end of that demo, it's because your instructor feels threatened by your skills. In that case you should immediately begin instructing over the Internet.

6. ScottUK

ScottUK More human than human...

Doing weapons training/embu without the understanding of bunkai and riai is just cheerleading.

And irresponsible.

And embarrassing.

Show them a strong karate embu instead. Work to your strengths, not your comedy weaknesses.

7. Stolenbjorn

Stolenbjorn Valued Member

I've done weapon training for some 10 years now, and some of that have been related to research, not because that's a very recomended method of learning, but because much of the european medieval martial arts died out. It's allways preferable to seek out a teacher. If your school have given you a task that you have 6 months to go off on your own and find as much info about a given weapon, and present what you found out to your class, then I'm a bit puzzled.

If you're serious about this, and not just pulling our legs here, then I advise you to start studying, dig up all written sources on the given weapon, and start approaching those schools that actually train in theese weapons. Then I advise you to hold a theoretical lecture for your karate/ninja-school, where you present what you've found, verbally, supported by a powerpoint presentation.

If you want to demonstrate principles in practice, then I strongly suggest that you know that you got the thing right (which I strongly doubt you'll manage in just 6 months time, and if the "masters" in your ninjaschool doesn't know anyghing about this weapon either, they'll have no way of knowing if you got it right either, so this sounds very strange to me.)

One thing that often puzzle me, is the enormous focus on any given weapon. Weapons are only extentions of the basic-set of body-mechanics, and to go off and study the [insert strange looking and exotic weapon here] is usually completely waste of time, unless you focus on
    *timing
    *distancing
    *control of centre