How to use a kyoketsu shoge?

Discussion in 'Weapons' started by Ninja Zach, Mar 3, 2013.

1. Ninja Zach

Ninja Zach New Member

Ok so what I read on wikipedia was that both end are swung when using the kyoketsu shoge.(not at the same time though) but in all the videos I've seen they are using just the ring it higher the blade was also swung around with the rope like to slash and could also be thrust kind of like a meteor hammer to stab.

2. Ninja Zach

Ninja Zach New Member

It higher= I heard*

3. bassai

bassai onwards and upwards ! Moderator Supporter

Do you have a teacher ?

4. Ninja Zach

Ninja Zach New Member

No I'm using the weapon for a demo for my karate school but no one there has ever used a kyoketsu shoge.

5. bassai

bassai onwards and upwards ! Moderator Supporter

Then I would suggest you use something else for your demo.

6. Grass hopper

Grass hopper Valued Member

That would be like me using a battle axe for a karate demo. It's silly.

7. Ninja Zach

Ninja Zach New Member

Well we have to use a rope weapon for our demo and our theme is ninja and that was the ninja tool and I could also use the meteor hammer but I prefer the kyoketsu shoge. But can you please just answer my question. If the blade isn't used with the rope I might just use the meteor hammer.

8. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

Meteor hammer?

I assume you have no training?

You are doing this demo in front of others?

You think that is responsible?

Because I know you think you know better and will go ahead and pratt around anyway I'll suggest you just use a short length of rope with a knot in each end. If you can the cover the knots in something like leather with some sort of cushioning around them then that should help prevent injury.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2013
  9. Grass hopper

Use a weapon you know how to use. Otherwise there is a decent chance of making a fool out of yourself.

10. mattt

mattt Valued Member

It's all in the wrist.

11. Aegis

Aegis River Guardian Admin Supporter

Rule 1 of weapons training is "don't try to use a weapon you've had no training in". If your karate school allows you to come in and do demos with weapons that they aren't training you to use, you should probably find a different school, as that's highly irresponsible of your instructor.

Sorry to be blunt, but this sort of thing really exemplifies a lot of what's wrong with some martial arts schools.

12. mattt

mattt Valued Member

Seriously though, if you want to know how to use it then it should be with Mu within the Kukan.

13. gapjumper

gapjumper Intentionally left blank

What school do you train at? What art do they teach?

14. Ninja Zach

Ninja Zach New Member

Our demo isn't until next like September the whole point is for us to master different weapons. How are you supposed to learn how to use a weapon unless you try it out and ask question? I'm in the researching stage I haven't held the weapon in person yet.

An I attend paks Tang soo do.

15. Ninja Zach

Ninja Zach New Member

And the reason they dont reach these weapons is that we don't have them. They didn't expect me to use it. I asked if I could you a rope oriented weapon. I found the kyoketsu shoge. And if in weapons training you aren't suppose to use weapons you haven't trained in then what's the point of weapons training. Training is to learn and get better.

16. Grass hopper

That's stupid, to put it bluntly. Your sensei is asking you to master a weapon unrelated to your art for a demonstration, a weapon he himself can't teach you? Maybe try a simpler weapon you won't cut your arm off with.

17. peterc8455

peterc8455 Valued Member

The way you learn how to use a weapon is under a qualified instructor's supervision who can teach you correctly.

What you are doing is playing with weapons. Seriously though, people have already answered you and are really telling you to seek out qualified instruction.

18. peterc8455

peterc8455 Valued Member

Also it sounds very strange to me for your Korean(?) based martial arts school to have a theme on the "ninja". And to require it's students to go out and learn traditional Japanese weapons on their own.

Maybe I'm missing something....

19. Nojon

Nojon Tha mo bhàta-foluaimein

A few years back I went to a TKD school for a tournament, my friend's little sister was competing in forms. Apparently they had an "open" division for weapons forms, one of the blackbelts came out and did this improvised katana form, it was horrifying. It was a live blade, and not only did he almost lose control of it once, but almost lost a finger doing noto..eek!

20. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Isn't this like me asking a forum what karate kata I could do in my BJJ comp?