How to Train for Self Defense in a WTF Sport Dojang

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do' started by HamiltonOHJMA, Oct 13, 2018.

1. HamiltonOHJMA

HamiltonOHJMA New Member

Hi,

I am taking WTF Taekwondo and Hapkido. I like the Hapkido better, because my interest is in traditional self defense martial arts. My instructor lets me and another student spar light contact using the full syllabus of Kukkiwon techniques (ridge hand, back fist, hammer fist, etc.), and I have a book/video series on applications of the forms.

Can anyone suggest other things I can do to get more self defense training in, given the constraints of the sport style school I am training at?

Thanks

2. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Some ideas off the top of my head...

Familiarise yourself with the concepts of the 'fence', action triggers and pre-emptive striking. Find a strike that works for you and work it on pads and the heavy bag. Make it your own and something you can generate substantial impact with.

Realistically evaluate your life and determine where risks and dangers can occur (locations, commuting, lifestyle choices etc). Make appropriate changes if there's anything you can do to be safer from harm (personally I'd look at that not just as being attacks from strangers imho).

Read up on the soft skills of target hardening, body language, adrenalin, avoidance, awareness etc.

Avoid places that serve alcohol.

Unfortunately training at a sport orientated place is not the best way to prep for SD but at least regular training, leading a healthy lifestyle, looking after yourself, perusing an active hobby, etc will all be reducing your chances of getting into a bad situation in the first place.

axelb and Monkey_Magic like this.