how to throw a knife acuratley?

Discussion in 'Ninjutsu' started by small guy, Jan 15, 2004.

1. small guy

small guy New Member

i know that it is thrown between the thumb abd the finger next to it but when i throw it it always just spazes and flys off somewhere

2. never

never Registered Hero

Should you really be using weapons that you arn't trained to use?

Anyway, why not buy a book or vid. on knife throwing, then you'll know how do use it safely (or not safely if you want).:)

3. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

For one thing, you need a decently weighted knife. You can throw a kitchen knife, but you need to be good. Grips vary between person, sometimes on the blade, sometimes on the hilt, depending on the weighting of the knife.

Your best bet is to not bother, since you should never need to throw a knife. However, if you do, a couple of safety tips.

Make sure that you have a 180 safety arc in which no one is standing, and that there's no one standing behind you. Make sure you have a target, a tree, or better, a knife-board. Do no throw inside the house. Make sure that you pick up all of the knives again afterwards, otherwise people walking or cutting grass could injure themselves. Above all, don't be stupid and try to take apples off people's heads.

4. SilentNightfall

SilentNightfall Eien no Ninja

Well, since we just finished 4-5 weeks of shuriken work, I wanna' give a few pointers that may help. Heck, I may only give one pointer as some things just can't be said in words, especially when the person may be unfamiliar with the art and how to use proper body movement for throwing. Then again, I may just be cranky because we had to throw playing cards through two sheets of newspaper before we could even play with the real deal. :p Anyway...

First tip... Never throw from the blade. Always hold the hilt to throw. Why? First of all, there is less risk of you cutting yourself. Second, if you train to throw by the blade and you get in a knife fight but suddenly have to throw the knife, you have to waste precious time to switch the knife over in your hand. Believe me, every second counts. Learn by holding the hilt/handle, not the blade.

Next, and I am assuming you aren't throwing the "star" shuriken, but rather knives and/or bo shuriken (throwing spikes). Now then, your distance from the target will determine where you hold the weapon. The farther away you are, the closer to the blade you place your fingers on the hilt. This makes the weapon rotate slower. If you are closer to a target, you want more rotation so you hold the weapon at the bottom of the hilt or farther away from the blade. Obviously the timing of your release, the amount of force, etc. will also effect your throw. Your weapons may be flying everywhere because you are attempting to muscle everything and use strength to throw. I throw my knives by getting into proper kamae (a stance) where the knife is in my left hand (I'm left-handed) up at about ear-level and with my right foor forward. I then take a step forward with my left as my arm comes down and releases the knife at the proper moment while being careful to have my arm come down completely straight and not on a slant. After much practice, you get the hang of it.

Hope you found this useful. I'm not sure I put everything into proper wording, but I did try. I just hope you can use what I've said to improve. Gambatte!

5. Disciple

Disciple New Member

Another note on Knife throwing (nice tips already posted), keep your wrist aligned. Do NOT flick your wrist as you release or extend your arm. you should bring your throwing hand to ear level (basic leve, you can throw many many ways), start with the foot on that side back just a couple inches and just take a natural step forward as you extend your elbow and arm, which should point directly at your target as you release. This is a very basic, however reliable method of knife throwing. Your next step after htis should be to not have to step and merely shift your weight.

Knives are fun, and I am decently proficient, however, I am better with and prefer axes.... ahhahaa... I love axes. I stuck 12 out of sixten in this chest sized target, , noe hit handle, one struck, but did not stick, and one stuck outside the chest sied area. there was a 4th that came of, only b/c I launched another one that knocked it down b/c of the force it hit the target with... the man who was hosting the little area could not remove it from the boards... I just wanted to share that. I always get a kick out of that... couldn't pull an axe out of the wood... hahaa...

Question on knife throwing techniques: Does anyone know how to throw a knife so it travels through the air as a dart would? Id est dicere, the point and handle do not topple over eachother.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2004
  6. SilentNightfall

SilentNightfall Eien no Ninja

Funny... I've been discussing the same topic with a friend of mine on a different forum. The method is definitely an underhanded throw with a pendulum-like technique. The only problem seems to be finding the perfect way to do this so as to not have the knife turn and smack the target broadside. The method you speak of can be seen in the newest version of the movie "The Hunted" and is definitely not a fairytale technique. I just wish I could give more information other than experimental techniques. I have launched a bo shuriken using this method from several feet away and have had it stick well, only I have a bad habit of throwing up on an angle instead of straight out.