How To tell some one there not ready to fight

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Bruce Irving, Jul 20, 2005.

1. Bruce Irving

Bruce Irving New Member

this new kid joined my MT gym and he sed hes been doing grappling and Muay Thai for like 8 months and told my teacher that he has an amature fight comming up in august.

Now iv probably only gone to 15 BJJ classes and i was able to submit him 4 times (Keylock, LegTriangle, guillotine, Rear naked choke, the only submissions i know and i got em all) and he only got me in a guillotine once @ the end becuase i was dead tired n didnt feel liek fighting to get out.

now aside from that my instructor sed that he wasnt doing well in pad work... and at the end of the class he asked me how he was at rolling n i sed "im a begginer and i beat him. 4 outta 5" (me n my teach are really close)

My instructor doesnt want any one comming out of his gym not ready to fight. and worst of all some one whose only came to 2 of his classes to go out, lose, and say he trains at our school.

s0o does any one have any ideas of what to say... how to break it...?

2. shootodog

shootodog restless native

just say so. "bud, you aren't ready for the fight" or better yet, have your teacher do it.

if he won't listen, then just let him. it's his hide anyway. plus the loss could get him to train harder.

3. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

why would he be getting into an amateur fight without your coach giving consent? im cofused? does he beling to two gyms or something?

4. Bograt

Bograt Banned Banned

Tell him if he fights, he dosn't fight under your club name. Tell the guy straight he aint ready that's what I do with my lot, it has to be done sometimes.

5. Swoop

Swoop Valued Member

I don't think you need to say anything. I doubt he's got any kind of fight coming up. It sounds to me like he was just running his mouth. Question him about the event, you'll catch him out.

6. Bograt

Bograt Banned Banned

I was thinking that myself but did'nt like to say. :p :p :p :p

7. Stan O'Kella

Stan O'Kella Hmmmmmmmmmmm?

At the end of the day, if he aint good enough he aint good enough, I'm sure that your instructor can handle the situation, basically lay it down simple and dress it up with the old constructive feedback model. +ve -ve +ve

"You are coming on well, your pad work is improving etc, at this momnet though i dont think you are quite at the level that you should fight, with a little more work and continuing to improve at the rate you are you will be ready very soon."

Something like that is how i'd phrase it.

8. Davey Bones

Davey Bones New Member

1. This is none of your business.

2. Your instructor should just tell him why he's not ready, and if he chooses to fight anyway, he gets his butt handed to him, just not under the name of the gym.

9. soon

soon New Member

Now, this sounds really harsh.

Yes, let him know where you think his weaknesses are but don't start pleading him not to fight. We all get in a scrap sooner or later, and with that attitude he will eventually say the wrong thing to the wrong person one day.

Let him get in the ring where its at least controlled, let him get knocked about a bit and I bet he learns one hell of a valuable lesson and is a better person and fighter for it. Humiliation and defeat are powerful mental and spiritual motivators.

I know when I was a young punk and got whupped in the boxing ring it made me realise just how tough and knackering fighting really is and exactly how far I had to go to be able to fight with any skill.

10. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

OR

Your gonna get whooped dude.:D

Seriously, I think he's not for real. Unless he set the fight up himself in his own backyard or something.
    Like everyone else says, dont let him use your name.

11. hux

hux ya, whatever.

>>that he has an amature fight comming up in august.

what kind of fight? Muay Thai? If it's a Muay Thai fight it doesn't matter how many times you arm-barred him, I'm thinking.

Other than that, it's the trainer's job to tell the guy he ain't ready, or to keep hiim from getting hurt. not yours. I hope your trainer isn't asking you to do his dirty work?

Where's the fight in August? Quickest way to catch a liar is to hammer on details. Ask where you can get tickets/work corner, etc...shrug.

12. Bruce Irving

Bruce Irving New Member

sorry i left alot of info out people

1 its a MMA event so hes gunn b able to work on the ground

2 my instructor is a really nice dude n this is his first time doing this and he asked me n my bud how we think he should go aabout it becuase he sed he doesnt want to drive the kid away.

3 his training came from a thia/ grappling school in north jersey. and thats when he signed up for the fight.

4 he gave my teacher sum names and the promoters name, so i doubt he's lying.

5. im worried to about letting him go fight and have him get his butt whooped and say hes been training at my gym.

well for his sake ATM im hopin his Stand up game is real good. ill get a chance to spar wit him tongiht, + i need the help on fighting southpaws which he is.

13. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

I agree wiith some of the others, its not really your place to worry about it. If he gets his butt kicked its his problem, if your concerned about the schools rep, its the instructors problem.

14. Bruce Irving

Bruce Irving New Member

i consider how well my gym does my problem because were trying to move out and get a bigger place. + we have to split the rent with sum JKD idiot who knows nothing about JKD and seals off certain rooms because he "owns" the place just to keep my instructor in check.

15. PlumDragon

PlumDragon "I am your evil stimulus"

How about this: Tell him hes not ready to fight. Simple as that, whats the problem??

If youre gym doesnt want him to ruin their reputation, then the topic can be pushed...If not, not sure why you care...

16. Jesh

Jesh Dutch Side Of The Force

Exactly... just be honest.

And if he still chooses to fight, and proceeds to get his head bashed in... well, not exactly your problem. Of course not under your clubs name...

17. Davey Bones

Davey Bones New Member

I have serious issues with your instructoe dumping this in your lap, friend or not. If your instructor doesn't want this kid representing HIS gym, he needs to do the dirty work. Period. I would never allow an instructor to put me in a position where it becomes my responsibility to do the dirty work because "he doesn't want to drive anyone away". If the kid is gonna leave because he can't deal with the fact he's not ready, fine. But to dump this on another student is not fair.

18. Bruce Irving

Bruce Irving New Member

he didnt dump this on my lap its just he doesnt know what to say so im gatheing ways to tell him what HE can tell the kid.

19. mai tai

mai tai Valued Member

we had a guy like that in our guy, totally not ready, but he wanted to fight. our school didnt want him fighting under our name (the grapplers the muay tai guys were fine). in caused a bit of a rift between the two sides. at our gym we do both muy tai and bjj. about 15 competiter each side with about 5 that do both.

anyways he ended up taking a pro mma fight in canada that he found on the internet.

well the result was the mild mannered man became a beast in the ring a total brawler and won, since he has won two fights, his grappling is sloppy and his striking in unrefined but he finds ways to win

and more importantly hes having fun.

most of us are not going to do this for a living so its just recreation.

and besides the world neads record padders too.

20. Scarlet Mist

Scarlet Mist Banned Banned

If you want to tell him he's not ready to fight then do it like this:

"ey! You're not ready to fight".