How to tell if a gym is good?

Discussion in 'MMA' started by Kframe, Dec 28, 2014.

1. Kframe

Kframe Valued Member

Hey guys im thinking of dipping my toes back into the mma world again not that they were that wet into it in the first place. I found this school, a bit pricey but really conveniently located. http://peakfitnessandmma.com/trainers-instructors/

Is there any thing glaring about these guys that should single me to look else where? I did stop right before the wrestling class and that instructor is no joke and looks impressive as heck.

I know the website say no sparring but when i talked to them, they have a seperate sparring class. They put the no sparring up front to bring in more potential newbs to mma.. I can understand why they state it on the site.

The Bjj guy is only a purple but meh im less then a white so dont think that will be a huge issue.

Its the Mauy Thai coach im looking at. I watched a recent fight of his and he lost by decision. It was not the most visually endearing fight either. However that was his first fight in a really long time so i cant put to much emphasis on it. There is also a sparring video on his face book page. I cant link it because it would violate rules but you can look him up and see it.

So what do you guys think? I know im really leary of the contract thing, and it is really pricey. I have other concerns but i just want some input.

You have to pay for drop in class's so no free trial class.

I wont get to up in arms i promise. I am likely to try it, but as i have stated in the past i dont want to waste my money or time.

2. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

A purple belt in BJJ is no simple thing, plus its under Marcelo Garcia who is arguably the worlds best BJJ competitor

Overall the gym looks to be a fitness and martial arts place, the contract means they don't want time wasters so pay to drop in for at least four weeks and see if your going to be regular enough to join. Simples!

3. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Sounds alright. Especially if he's a MG purple belt. The Thai instructor seems to be our main concern. An instructor can be great without being a good or even average fighter. So I'd reccommend watching his class and then deciding.

Good luck man :)

4. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

Look for results in competitions/fights. It's sport, there should be results

5. Kframe

Kframe Valued Member

Well this is a new gym actually and they have been advertising this model for a bit over a year or so.

The grappling and wrestling alone would make this place worth while.

I think ill pay for some drop ins and see how i feel about it. My main concern is the MT and this is the only MT with in 100 miles.

I want to see how many show up at all the class's. I would hate to see empty mats.
    When it comes to the MT im not sure what to look for, other then basic stuff. Any tips for evaluating him?

MOI well the Wrestling coach has a very good and verifiable competition record. I dont know much about the bjj guy and now sure were to look for records in that regard.
    The MT instructor seamed to do alot of his fighting about 10 years ago. Ill try and dig into the promotion he listed in hi bio and see i can dig up a record.

If it is allowed ill post a video of his latest fight.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2014
  6. Dead_pool

If theres solid instructors (and being a purple under MG he is, and you say the wrestler is as well) then quiet classes mean you get more attention from the coach.

If your unsure about the MT, just dont do the MT, or look at it as extra cardio.

7. Dead_pool

[ame]http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QXhjOHno0V0[/ame]

8. Dead_pool

9. Kframe

Kframe Valued Member

The wrestling coach was a good HS wrestler and went to Nationals for a small college and placed 6th. I think that fits my definition of solid.. You dont go to nationals in a sport if your bad at it i think.

Either way ill give it a try and after some time ill let you guy know what i feel.

10. Kframe

Kframe Valued Member

Why does it only list him at first place in the Light class for that spot? Where is the second and 3rd place? Is there a way to see how many were competing in that class?

Thanks for the videos.

Edit to add. It says he took 3rd at Blue belt senior 3 open, and 1st in light.

11. Kframe

Kframe Valued Member

Ok so on there Face book page i found his record. Will's Muay Thai record is 22-3 and he was nationally ranked number 1 when he won the WSKA Muay Thai Welter Weight.

Strangley when i google WSKA Muay thai no website comes up.

12. Dead_pool

So legit MT, Wrestling and BJJ, and a full time gym, which is why it will cost more then a YMCA karate class.

13. Kframe

Kframe Valued Member

On the face it does look really good. However this video is what sparked my apprehension of the MT. [ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9QcylsSqkuo"]Steve Winston vs Willy Runyon FFL 5 Full Contact Muay Thai by Creative Universe - YouTube[/ame] I guess i kind of expected it to look more like what i see in Thailand.

14. Moi

It's western thai at a fairly low level? Everyone starts somewhere

15. Kframe

Kframe Valued Member

I agree with that. Its just with 22-3 and formerly number 1 in his ORG i was expecting it to not be low level.

16. Moi

Was that him? I thought it was a student?

17. Dead_pool

It looked like his number 1 ranking was when he was quite young.

meh if its the only thai for 100 miles, and they spar, that's by far better then nothing, or just wrestle and do BJJ.

18. Kframe

Kframe Valued Member

That was him, the MT teacher.

You are correct Fusen if all else fails its better then nothing. If all else fails ill have accsess to good grappling.

19. Moi

I hate it when the ring guys don't bring round cards

20. Dead_pool

same guy on pads -

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxUNrIKz2bE"]Runyon Thai Pads - YouTube[/ame]

and light sparring - from 2013ish [ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PyH28WZo_jQ"]Muay Thai sparring - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Wl5FdED6kw"]Muay Thai sparring 2 - YouTube[/ame]