how to roll with someone you always dominate

Discussion in 'Brazilian Jiu Jitsu' started by sprint, Jun 18, 2007.

1. sprint

sprint Banned Banned

im just wondering what is the best way to roll with someone you completely dominate.

you are bigger, stronger, faster, tougher, and more skilled than this classification of fellow rollers. yes, you beat them in all of these categories...

what is the best way to roll with this type of bjjer?

2. Lord Spooky

Lord Spooky Banned Banned

I’m not a Bjj guy but I’d say you act as a teacher.

After all isn’t that what training is about, learning? By helping this “out classed” person out you are consolidating your own knowledge, teaching can be a very productive learning process and can help your own development. At the same time this person wont get disheartened by constantly coming off worse, they will get something positive from the experience.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2007
  3. Stevebjj

Stevebjj Grappling Dummy

I usually work on stuff I really suck at, or when I do a technique, to remember every detail and work methodically. This gives them ample opportunity to work on their stuff. Alternatively, I'll work to counter whatever they do or ask them what they're working on. If they try to pass my guard, I'll counter with a submission or a sweep attempt. A brand new person a few weeks back asked if he could just work on passing guard. So, I'd work from guard until I got a sweep or a submission. If he passed my guard, we just kept going. If I swept him, we'd reset. Worked out well and we both got some benefit. Was fun, too.

4. 1bad65

1bad65 Valued Member

Good advice. Teaching is cool, when you catch him, explain how you did it. Also, allow him to get good positions on you and practice holding them and going for submissions. Let him work his offense, as you are better you can help him on his defense and his offense, if you let him work his offense.

5. Stevebjj

Stevebjj Grappling Dummy

I'd say that teaching him is good advice depending on how good you are. I don't consider myself good enough to "teach" anyone anything. I will offer encouragement and try to give them timely reminders. Sometimes, I'll say, 'Watch your base,' and then nudge them over a little without actually sweeping them so that they see what I'm talking about.

My fear, however, is that I'll miss critical details. Maybe when I get my blue belt. But for now, I know I'm going to miss critical details that will be important to them.

6. Sever

Sever Valued Member

I generally decide a technique (usually something I'm not very good at) and will work to only submit them with that technique. This gives me a chance to work on my defence and that particular technique and gives them the chance to see what they can do without getting armbarred all the time

7. TheMightyMcClaw

TheMightyMcClaw Dashing Space Pirate

For me, it's a chance to play around with the stuff I'm not very good with. New submissions, flashy takedowns, higher risk moves (gogoplata, achilles lock, etc.) and all the stuff that's generally not going to be a good idea on a more experienced opponent.

8. Shiho-Nage

Shiho-Nage I'm okay to go.

I'll ask the people that I regularly practice with and get back to you.

9. EternalRage

EternalRage Valued Member

would pos rep u if we had that function

this is pretty much what most constructive people would do

10. Oversoul

Oversoul Valued Member

Clever.

Anyway, if they're willing to, you could start from a position where you feel you're weak. Like I am usually pretty good at getting out from under mount or rear mount, but escaping from a scarf hold or north/south takes me longer, even against weaker, less experienced opponents. Consequently, I often avoid getting caught with these. But when I'm up against someone I totally outclass, it's an excellent opportunity to work on escapes and reversals from those positions. And my partner gets experience trying to hold down a bigger, faster, stronger, more skilled opponent (or at least maybe bigger--I'm pretty weak, slow, and inept). Everybody wins!

11. RandomTriangle

RandomTriangle Valued Member

i agree with a lot of what was said here...

1. i'm a purple belt, but i would never teach unless the black belt asks me to teach.

2. working the weak parts of your game is probably best.

3. even if you don't want to work your weakest part of your game... at least DON'T work your strongest.... once i sub someone (better or worse than i) i DON'T use that sub for the rest of class (unless it's a new sub i'm trying to practice during live training).

4. work your combinations. put 2-3 sweeps or subs together and practice fluid transitions from one to the other... (Like going from a scissors sweep to a bump sweep)

5. i roll onto my stomach and let guys start in rear mount.

12. prfighter

prfighter Valued Member

If you actually dominate them that much why not help them out and give them some tips...Thats what i would want the other guy to do if they were in your position.

I think of my BJJ school as a team. Help each other out, I always do if i understand something that my partner does not, and thank God MOST of the people in my BJJ school are humble and are always trying to help everyone else. Although we do have those few that want to be UFC champions and just want to win and dont care much about Helping anyone but themselves : /

13. Ghost Frog

Ghost Frog New Member

ttt for this.
    Make rules before you start --> Start turtled up/mounted/ and stop every time you get a dominant postition and start again.

You could even let him start with a choke almost on and then try and get out of it.