How to overcome fear. When you are sparring. And be a better Martial Artist.

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by ChangNam, Mar 30, 2011.

1. ChangNam

ChangNam Valued Member

Hello to you all. I am just a average guy. but i have been training many different styles of MA in my life,,...

Lets talk about contact sparring and other drills.. That you are doing with a partner..

Some peoples close the eyes when getting punched or kicked. This is the first step or thing to learn not to do if you asking me.. Why ? Because the pain will be the same. Even if your eyes are open or closed. And you will lose contact with your sparring partner. That's no good at all. That's why it is so important to never close your eyes. When you are getting punched or kicked.

If you are new to sparring or other contact drills. Is it important to focus on the technique. And do everything in a slow mode. This way you will learn the technique in what you are doing. And no one gets hurt. When you feel safe and have confidence in what you are doing. Can you step things up. Like speed and power. But not go crazy. Just feel each other out. This way you learn how it is to get punched in the face. Or get some body blows or kicks to the body. With out getting hurt or scared.

And all ways try to find a sparring,training partner. That is on the same level as you. This way you will feel equal to your partner. And i think almost everyone will learn faster from doing this. Why ? Because you both will be able to try out new things. With out being scared. And no one will be superior. And the sparring becomes fun. If you are sparring with a much more experienced partner then your self. Who maybe use more power in each technique him/her do. Can someone feel uncomfortable. And you will hold back and not be able to try out new things. And do what you would have been doing. If you was sparring with a partner on your same level.

Someone feel them learn more. From sparring with higher level students then them self. Because the techniques and the way them moves around. Will be totally different. And this way you will pick things up much quicker. If you can handle it. And feel confidence in you self and what you are doing.

And to all you who not do sparring. Because you feel it is not for you. Or that you are scared getting hurt. Please try to over come the fear. And just do things very slow to start with. I am sure you all will enjoy it. And feel proud of your self after. This way you will take the Martial Art you are training to another level. And you will be a stronger person.

I added a video to. This is a good training drill. And now you will understand. Why it is so important to never close your eyes. And all ways look at your sparring partner..

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U4Kqx2kdjIY&feature=player_embedded"]YouTube - Drill for Skill - Cornerman Drill[/ame]

Last edited: Mar 31, 2011
  2. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

Psychologically, the fear of anything is caused by a lack of knowledge, the unknown. So just like a public speaker, the more you spar, the more comfortable you will be. So go out and take some licks, give some back, and become more and more comfortable on the mats and most importantly HAVE FUN FOR GOODNESS SAKES!!!!

3. hayashihakenny

hayashihakenny New Member

Ditto. 100% ditto.

4. 36chambers

36chambers Valued Member

i never fear personaly i just do. if in doubt knock em out as my brother told me

5. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

While I don't doubt your skill I do doubt your understanding. The phrase "I have no fear" always makes me laugh, as is translates to "I have no understanding of what is about to happen".

6. 36chambers

36chambers Valued Member

maybe i do have some fears friend but as ive grown older they have become less and you must understand ive come from an upbringing of an alcoholic farther and a mother that left me when i was 14 and basically work as a grafter all my life i work hard and dont take no shizzle from nobody but having said that i am a reasonable person and can get along with anybody. As far as no fear goes ive always stood by what my brother has taught me since i was young and that alone keeps my fire burning. i dont maybe your right but all i can say is i just dont think about it i just do as i respond:)

7. 36chambers

36chambers Valued Member

also can i say you are correct about me having no understanding of whats about to happen because when i loose it i really do loose it but you could also say that is no fear as your not bothered about the outcome when you loose the plot. sorry if i couldn't make myself more understandable. peace

8. Simon

No apology required, you've explained things nicely.

9. 36chambers

36chambers Valued Member

i would like to apologise for my pushing about myself rather than the required topic i got carried away sorry.:(

10. Simon

As I said before, no need to apologise.

Do you find your lack of fear helps when sparring and do you find that the techniques flow freely, or does it have the reverse effect? That is to say is your defense weaker because you have no fear of what is coming at you?

11. 36chambers

36chambers Valued Member

i suppose that my attack is increased but you are correct as to say my defence does suffer but it depends on who im fighting and what their tactics are. with me its either defend or attack i cant seem to do both maybe that makes sence i dont know but the more i get injured the mor i want to attack. some say the best form of defence is to attack and thats what i base myself on although its not worked 10% of the time it has 90 including for both percentages street fights sparring and tournaments. but i would say i need to work on my defence in fights but my mind tells me to go all out LOL

12. Estrix

Estrix Valued Member

When I think about fear, I always think about an expression I picked up in Mongolia, "If you're afraid don't do it, if you do it don't be afraid." So I try and apply this not just to things I do in life (like overcoming a fear of heights), but also to things that happen TO me, like combat. When doing don't be afraid

13. 36chambers

36chambers Valued Member

Now heights is one thing i dont like (FEAR). a guy once told me that, Fear leads to hate,hate leads to anger and anger leads to suffering.

14. 36chambers

36chambers Valued Member

Now heights is one thing i dont like (FEAR). a guy once told me that, Fear leads to hate,hate leads to anger and anger leads to suffering. which i personally agree with so i made my own version. hate leads to. anger, anger leads to cyclone kicks to the dome. which us MAist should agree with more lol

15. kravi2

kravi2 Valued Member

I too love Yoda... Wise little muppet.

--Me

16. WaveForm

WaveForm Valued Member

While I love to spar, I know many people who avoid it at all costs. Generally, I've found that these are their reasons:

1) Speed/contact level is too high, and they are getting hurt.

2) They are afraid that they will get hurt.

3) They are afraid that they will look like a fool.

In the first case, this is just poor communication. No matter what your rank, you have the right to ask to slow down or tone down a fight if you feel that you aren't learning. This is doubly true if your partner is using more contact than necessary.

The other two reasons are more about the fighter than the situation. If you are afraid of contact, you need to work more of it into your training. Our school does leg/arm conditioning by having partners alternate throwing medium-hard contact kicks to the legs and medium/hard contact blocks to the arms. It does wonders for increasing your willingness to step into and block a hard attack. As for ego-issues, once school feels like home, that will hopefully go away. A dojo should be a family, and a family should be willing to lead you through your mistakes, not ridicule you for them.

Keep in mind that an "attack" isn't restricted to a traditional punch or kick. If you are blocking a technique, but you keep your energy forward and block with gusto, you give yourself a real advantage. Will you get a point from a block? Of course not, but often times your opponent will respond as if you had just attacked them.

17. digitalfanatic

digitalfanatic Valued Member

That's pretty awesome I must say. You've been introduced to all these styles, not many people take up the challenge to learn alot, they rather stick to one or two styles!