How to know if a gi fits?

Discussion in 'Brazilian Jiu Jitsu' started by righty, Sep 3, 2013.

1. righty

righty Valued Member

Hi there,
    I'm again shopping for a new gi. Trouble is always I don't fit into the size charts (too heavy). Oh well at least I'm closer than I used to be.

The trouble is that out of my current top favourites of gis I own one is actually slightly large and the other is slightly small. But they have the exact same numbers of height and weight on the size charts for my size - so how can I trust them?

If I get a chance to try them on, other than sleeve length is there anything I can measure other than general comfort to get an idea of size? e.g. how far the overlap is on the front?

If gis weren't so darn expensive I might be more willing to buy one without trying it on, which I might have to anyway considering the lack of stores around my area.

2. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

The size of the cuff space and how far down the jacket hangs are the only 2 I normally care about other than sleeve length. I've never found a solution for the size charts though. Different companies do them differently and its annoying as balls. My A2 tatami budgrt one fits pretty well but an A1 zero g one fits me perfectly.

Honestly I think its trial and error and once you find one that's alright stick with that brand.

3. Giovanni

Giovanni Well-Known Member Supporter

are you in the states? i've bought a kimono from piranha gear and they're very reasonably priced--comparatively speaking.

http://www.piranhagear.com/uniforms/jiu-jitsu/jiu-jitsu-single-weave-uniform-black-yellow.html

there's definitely nicer gi's out there, but they'll cost you double, as you're aware. i bought a black one of these a couple years ago, is holding up really nicely and it's still part of my rotation of training gi's. the elastic waist isn't ideal, and you can definitely find better tailoring on more expensive gi's. not ideal for competition purposes, but i have actually competed in one.

4. Giovanni

also, origin kimono's seems to have pretty specific sizing, and you can even buy different size pants and tops. it'll cost you though.

5. righty

righty Valued Member

Yeah I've seen the origin ones as a lot of my club wears them, but they are just so damn expensive. And then add $40-50 for shipping for any gi since I'm not in the US or UK.

What's funny is technically I have enough gis. But two of them **** me off so much I hate wearing them. This is becasue I bought them when I was over 220 pounds and went off my weight rather than my height. Big mistake, so now I am more careful, especially when even the 'cheap' gis are over $100.

I should add I've been holding off asking my instructor because he's a little guy, but I might as well get his opinion on the fit of my current gis. It will be a while until I can fit into the size charts with both height and weight considering my other goals.

Thanks for your advice guys.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2013
  6. Giovanni

i'm kind of in the same boat. i have two gi's, the aforementioned piranha gear one and a fushida one (which is actually a very, very good gi). i've lost considerable weight, so they're both now big. i was thinking of buying myself an origin gi because the sizing seems really precise, as a kind of present to myself for losing weight. i honestly have no idea what gi size i am now. and am kind of scared to make an investment because i don't know what my size is anymore.

7. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

Your instructor should have a variety of sizes, at least a couple, that you could try on to see if they fit.

8. righty

righty Valued Member

Unfortunately he doesn't. :(

And even so it wouldn't solve the sizing issue if I decided to go for another brand.

9. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

Oh you'll just have a spring in your step, you'll feel as light as air and you'll just know ;) :)