How to improve my martial arts skills?

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Sarute Uchizaki, Dec 29, 2015.

1. Sarute Uchizaki

Sarute Uchizaki Valued Member

Katori Shinto ryu

2. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

Sogo Bujutsu then not just iai.

I'm surprised you manage to fit the other stuff in.

3. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

4. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

5. Dead_pool

Is not sparring a regular part of the class?
    Is the problem they don't spar, or that your not around enough to spar regularly?

6. Dead_pool

Old school Yoseikan looks really interesting.

7. Langenschwert

Langenschwert Molon Labe

You have your answer. You get out what you put in. It's not like going and training boxing on the side for a small amount of hours is going to help much. You'll just be lame at boxing too.

To progress at any martial art, you need two sessions per week of around two hours, assuming the training is good. Less than that and you'll still be "lame", as you called it.

Put in the hours, make a habit of showing up, especially when you don't feel like going. That's when you'll learn the most, don't ask me why. It just is.

8. El Medico

El Medico Valued Member

Because that's truly when "We forge our bodies in the fires of our will."

9. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

You have our gwatitude

10. MI_martialist

MI_martialist Valued Member

Training solo, in the air, or in kata without a thorough understanding of applications and without having done all of the applications FIRST with a training partner is really counterproductive. Honestly, how many of us have ever had bad timing while doing techniques in the air? Or poor distancing?

I think we also need to distinguish between fighting and sparring...there is a huge difference. The best way to get good at fighting is to fight. Now, there is no such thing in training, so it has to be simulated as much as possible.

From day one, if one wants to fight, one must be armed. One must also train with multiple opponents, in a chaotic environment.

Forget about style, and just fight...move and hit...in the beginning YOU WILL NOT BE GOOD AT TECHNIQUE so you need to focus on just acting, hitting, etc. When you do that, then formal technique should be worked on. After all, if one wants to learn to fight, the only measure of success is surviving a fight, not how pretty the technique was.

11. Hannibal

Starting off at the end goal - fighting - is not a good idea and runs counter to every single teaching methodology that consistently produces good fighters.

12. AndrewTheAndroid

AndrewTheAndroid A hero for fun.

This is just awful advice. Everything should(technique, timing, focus, ect...) can be worked on from the beginning. It's just plain idiotic to ignore technique and focus solely on applications because you literally can't APPLY the technique if you are bad at it.

If you hit someone with a sloppy punch, you will probably break your hand, then they will hurt you. If you put them in a lousy hold, they will get out of it and then hurt you.

13. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

Plus, if you start with sloppy technique, then later on when you want to actually get better you'll have to unlearn all those bad habits -- and that's hard to do, and it takes more time than you would have spent learning good form in the first place!

14. MI_martialist

Well, I should probably preface this with the question...what is the goal of martial training? For us, as our Sensei has instructed, the primary goal of martial training is to have the beginner as proficient as possible and as capable as possible from day one to protect him or herself. There are consequences to what is instructed. If we do not make a person as proficient as possible as soon as possible, then we put our students' lives at risk. Also, if this is the first goal, then we should arm our students from day one, as this is the best way to equalize and neutralize an attack.

15. Hannibal

And you do not do that with sloppy technique and pushing them too far to fast

The "sink or swim" school of teaching is idiotic and should no longer exist.

Every school that produces quality fighters employs progressive training methodology. If that is not being followed you aren't producing quality fighters

16. MI_martialist

I think there is an assumption that is not accurate. I never said that we just do whatever with no methodology, there is a progressive methodology, but it is introduced in a chaotic, scenario based environment with a weapon. We use parameters to guide students but allow them to hit and move without the restrictions of formality until they are comfortable with fighting.

17. Hannibal

Then you are doing it in a less than optimal methodology

18. Knee Rider

Knee Rider Valued Member Supporter

Video/link to school?

I think sparring straight away is fine as long as coaching happens before during and after but especially during.

Not sure what you are describing sounds that optimal though given the emphasis in your descriptions.

19. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Tbf some guys like sparring from day one. I can think of a myriad of fighters and coaches who taught it this way. Bit "old school" now but it works for some.

20. Dead_pool

Multiples and weapons straight away means it'll be mostly low intensity larping.