How to improve kicks

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do' started by Eragon, May 4, 2015.

1. Eragon

Eragon New Member

Could anyone please give m tips to improve kicks? And is it a good idea to practice kicking while using ankle weights? Thanks :)

2. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

It's really not, no. It causes undue strain on your joints. Break the kick into components and practice each part slowly. Use a chair for balance. Or a wall. Focus on the mechanics. Slow practice will allow you to study the particulars and build strength at the same time. Weights will just jack up your mechanics and potentially damage your knees at the same time.

3. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

I want to offer a slightly different perspective to ap Oweyn on the use of ankle weights. I think they're useful for developing the strength to hold up your legs, as you would in TKD forms like Moon-moo. Still, tread carefully if you choose to use them and there's no real use for them beyond that.

Regular weights however - barbell squats and deadlifts, machine leg presses etc - are very useful to kickers for a whole list of reasons too numerous to write here.

But back to your original question. To improve your kicks, you need to quantify that by telling us how you want to improve your kicks - do you want them to get higher, faster, more powerful, etc? Only then can we offer you useful advice.

4. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Pay a lot of attention to what the foot on the floor is doing, where it points, how/if it pivots, etc.

Pay a lot of attention to how your body moves to power the kick. Supporting leg, hips, torso, arms.

Too often people concentrate on the kicking leg, but that's just the nail; everything else is the hammer that actually drives it in.

Mitch

5. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Oh, and...

Squat deep. :D

6. Eragon

Eragon New Member

It would probably be a bit of everything, but mostly power. I also have one more question. Sometimes when I spar with my little brother (whos also done some martial arts) He tends to close in and smash my leg with his arm whenever I attempt to kick. Needless to say, that hurts. Anyone know how to get around this?

And thnx to everyone who answered my previous questions :)

7. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Develop good technique first, then progress to kicking with resistance bands and kicking a heavy bag.

Define "smash your leg" - is he punching, blocking, etc?

Spar lots to improve your timing and distance so you hit him first.

And wear sparring pads.

8. Eragon

Eragon New Member

Blocking but he hits it hard on my shins

9. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

You could Google shin conditioning on YouTube.

Or wear shin pads.

Blocking your shin and not your foot also means he's "moved inside your range" - ask your instructor for tips and drills to keep him at a distance.

Or do what I do, get flexible enough to kick him in the head when he's right next to you.

10. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

I'd agree with you that they built strength. I did it. But there are other ways to build strength in kicking. Minus the risk. If I knew at 23 how my knees were going to feel at 43, I might have gone a different route. Now, that may or may not prove to be scientifically relevant. But all things considered, I'd advise against and focus on other methods.

That said, I recognize that others' mileage may vary. :)

11. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Yeah, I think if someone wants to use them, they need to progress with caution. Extremely slow and static kicks only, use very (very) light weights, keep the sets and reps to a minimum, build a solid foundation of strength first, that sort of thing.

12. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

As an addendum, if your flexibility is sufficient enough, you can hold your legs up without the use of weights (due to decreased resistance in the agonist muscles).

13. Eragon

Eragon New Member

Great help guys, thanks for the info :)