How to give form to kicks?

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Sarute Uchizaki, Jan 13, 2015.

1. Sarute Uchizaki

Sarute Uchizaki Valued Member

Hi!

I have more than 10 years of practice (which is somewhat irregular) in martial arts. I have always assumed my kicks to be rather good.

However, my teacher told me that my kicks were not effective enough to subdue an opponent. I was quite surprised to hear this. I admit that maybe I have to work on my hips to make my kicks more quick but he also told me to give form to my kicks.

I know that I used to train with pads and punching bag to make my kicks more effective. But does anyone knows how to give form to kicks?

2. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

"Give form" sounds very vague to me. Did he mean work on the details of your form for kicks? Like chambering, turning the hips, stuff like that?

Did your instructor give you any more details on what specifically to work on with regards to your kicks?

3. matveimediaarts

matveimediaarts Underappreciated genius

If your teacher insists on a specific way of performing a kick (as karateka tend to), all you can do is drill that on bags/pads and ask for feedback. Outside of class, you could ask higher ranking students for help. Just my 2 pence. :)

4. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Do you mean "make them look prettier"?

A nice looking kick is indicative of proper technique.

5. Kurtka Jerker

Kurtka Jerker Valued Member

6. GoldShifter

GoldShifter The MachineGun Roundhouse

It'd be best to give us a visual and also some clarification for what you really are asking us. Giving form is pretty vague, do you want us to help you with some form troubles, or how to make your kick stronger, etc.

If its just how to make it stronger, with correct form will come speed, at first it will be awkward, especially if you make a big switch in how you kick. Most kicks are super efficient and you can make it faster with just a bit of practice. With the speed will come the power, best case scenario. If anything you'll need experience in practicing and using the "new" form for your kick to make it more effective/damaging/stronger.

7. Sarute Uchizaki

Yes....maybe that's what he meant. Chambering, turning the hips and so on

8. Sarute Uchizaki

I agree what u said but the technique should not be detrimental to myself in the long run, that is, that I should not damage my knees.

9. Unreal Combat

Unreal Combat Valued Member

You've got more chance of damaging your knees by not throwing a kick correctly.

10. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Proper technique will not damage your knees.

11. Sarute Uchizaki

maybe I have to work on my hips. So...is there a method where I can work on my hips?

12. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Did you ask your instructor what that meant?

I wouldn't blame you if you hadn't. The traditional hierarchy doesn't exactly encourage it. But it wasn't a very useful bit of instruction on his part if that's literally the extent of what he said. I feel like it's the sort of philosophical vagary that teachers sometimes utter in an effort to sound deep. And then defend it by saying that part of learning is deciphering these things for yourself.

Technical feedback ought to be just that. Technical. Turn your foot here. Angle your shoulder there. Etc. There's plenty of room for self-discovery after you learn to throw a decent kick.

13. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Work on them how?

Strength? Flexibility? Endurance? Technique?

There are lots of ways to "work" on your hips.

As others have said, posting a video will help us to help you.

14. rabid_wombat

rabid_wombat Valued Member

A video of yourself will definitely help people here help you out and watching it yourself, you may see what's missing. Honestly, for me, I'd ask my instructor if they'd help me improve my kicks, maybe specific drills to break down the different parts of the kick. In my past this approach led to some good instruction on very specific nuances that are hard to impart in a general class.

15. Tom bayley

Tom bayley Valued Member

Kicking mechanics drills, followed by shield / bagwork, followed by fighting drills with an active partner.

Get a partner. Stand in your regular fighting stance. Your partner stands directly in font of you, facing you. You hold thier lead hand with your lead hand. The partners job is to provide something to hold onto to improve balance.

Practice kicking, slowly and in a controlled way Breaking the kick down into sections.

e.g forward thrusting kick, tuck the leg, extend the leg to the target (use your partner hip as target) drive through the target using the hips to generate power. (aiming at the hip allows the partner to move at the hip yealdding to the thrust, yet still offering some resistance, while holding your hand to improve balance). Tuck back. Place foot back down where it came from in fighting stance.

This drill allows you to work on isolating different aspects of the kick.

Then practice kicking shields or bags. The emphasis being on joining the parts of the kick together in a smooth flow and in delivering power to the target.

Combined these drills allow you to work on most aspects of kicking technique. Getting the shield holder to walk towards you or away from you adds a dimension of kicking a moving target. However the only way that you can learn to kick someone who is trying to fight you is to actually kick a person fighting you, not a pad. So you need to have some kind of fighting drills with an active partner.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2015
  16. Instructor_Jon

Instructor_Jon Effectiveness First

Wow your instructor was vague. When I teach my folks I am very specific. I.E. Roll your hips over more, follow through, aim the knee here before letting your foot extend out, etc.

17. Respect

Respect New Member

Boy is that true. And I find when I improve in one area, I have to work on a different area. I guess that's the nature of training but there certainly area many areas to work your form.

18. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

The typical route of progression I teach people to follow is: general strength > flexibility > technique > specific strength > specific endurance > speed > power.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2015
  19. Indie12

Indie12 Valued Member

Try using leg weights and kicking with them. This actually builds great leg and muscle strength which will in turn increase your kicking power.

Ever hear the old expression, "its all in the hips, baby"? ;)

20. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Kicking with weights does not increase power. It increases the ability to hold then up in the air.

Power is increased by kicking dense objects like thick foam pads and heavy bags.