How to get the message across

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by tai-gip, Apr 12, 2004.

1. tai-gip

tai-gip New Member

When you notice someone who is being in your " learned opinion " incorrect ,an idiot , ridiculous or pushy how do you make this apparent to them without yourself being considered any of the above

2. StorDuff

StorDuff adamantium

Extreme sarcasm. It makes you sound intelligent and arrogant, and you can get a big point across without talking much or knowing any of your facts.

ie:

Person A: "I love Bush, we should be at war in Iraq"
    Me: "Oh that's a real good idea"

Person B: "I hate Bush, we should pull out of Iraq"
    Me: "Oh that's a real good idea"

If you wait and use that approach on a topic you know a lot about, then you can bust out a lot of facts and make them think twice about questioning you in the future, it's why I remain such an excellent debator :eek:

3. Hapkido

Hapkido New Member

a nice open-hand bitch slap does the trick for me.

4. CiNdY

CiNdY New Member

lick your finger and stick it in their ear... itll weird them out so they wont ever approach you again.. they might yell things at you and talk behind your back but that shouldnt matter..

5. yes

yes Banned Banned

I fail to see the point in that? it'd look like you're just trying to pick an argument to me if you responsed with the same thing to two opposite statements.

6. neryo_tkd

neryo_tkd Valued Member

But it some cases it won't help. What if the person doesn't understand it or doesn't want to understand it? You might achieve a counter-effect. I've seen it happen.

7. Saz

Saz Nerd Admin

In what context? If its on MAP, don't actually tell them, because personal attacks get you beat with the ban stick. If its real life, you can deal with it more or less how you like.

If they really are a grade A idiot, it shouldn't be too hard to trip them up and make them look a fool.

People are allowed to be incorrect, sometimes who's right in an arguement is relative. Being pushy and even ridiculous is forgiveable too.

8. Mrs Owt

Mrs Owt New Member

Sometimes you just can't make it apparent because they don't want to see it. We all have issues we aren't going to budge on and you will never convince people otherwise. Sometimes you just have to walk away, shaking your head. :rolleyes:

9. StorDuff

StorDuff adamantium

Shows what you know :eek:

10. MichaelV

MichaelV New Member

Ask them what it's like to be stupid.

11. Adam

Adam New Member

I usually ignore them and let them get on with whatever it is they're doing. They'll see the error of their ways, sooner or later.

12. Knight_Errant

Knight_Errant Banned Banned

Tai gip, you really do know how to tempt me to make innapropriate posts, don't you? :) :) :)

13. Saz

Saz Nerd Admin

But you didn't... well done, have a cookie :D

14. Andrew Green

Andrew Green Member

You can try to have a rational discussion and show them in a nice friendly way. Of course rationallity is something that escapes some people and they will continue to twist everything so that it doesn't matter what you say they are right, no matter what...

Those people are not worth wasting your time on....

15. Mrs Owt

Mrs Owt New Member

I sometimes wonder if you don't get through to them even if you don't know it. We have all seen someone make an inflammatory or insulting statement on one of the threads, get jumped on for it and then never comment again. Maybe with MAP'ers just stating it plain that the person is rude or insulting they (well some of them at least ;) ) get the idea. They may not be big enough to come back and apologize or explain what they meant but at least they stop being rude and insulting.

16. Andrew Green

Andrew Green Member

So the solution to someone posting nonsense is to call them on it, I'll have to remember that.

17. Andy Murray

Andy Murray Sadly passed away. Rest In Peace.

Bye then. :D

18. surgingshark

surgingshark Valued Member

There's the time-tested "endless questions" method.

When a person makes a statement, ask him/her what the reasons were behind said statement. When said person replies, repeat process until the person starts talking in circles (which you can call em on), until the person contradicts a previous statement (call em on this, too) or when the statement loses all traces of logical reasoning (which you can have a field day with). It may take a while, but the progressive disection of one's misguided statement is an effective method of making them realize their mistakes. Or, you know, make them back into a corner covering their ears singing "la la la" for the rest of eternity. Either way, they stop bothering you :p