How to fight someone who has the same style of fighting as yours?

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Sarute Uchizaki, Mar 31, 2018.

1. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Yeah if you're going to fight Thai, honestly just fight pro. Records doesn't mean anything. Same for pro K-1. I'd you're going for MMA THE amateur scene is worth it for the experience and it can be easier to get fights.

Unreal Combat likes this.
  2. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

I say your training mentality even changes with intercomps. I might be a bit different that wrestling I guess, as we used to go full out regardless.

By the time I was competing out of my comfort zone in grappling, I wasn't nervous or anything and actually feel I've had easier intercomps. Saying that...still got my behind handed to me :p

axelb, Dead_pool and Unreal Combat like this.
  3. Latikos

Latikos Valued Member

I know, late back to the party...

Well, he is new, so he is not supposed to have control yet.
    That's something that has to learned as well.

We're talking sparring, right?
    There is defeat in sparring now?

Learning new styles to learn how to fight in your style?
    Why not try getting better at your style instead? Spending time for that?

First things first: I'm only quoting you, because it had me thinking with that post again, not because of you or anyone as a person.
    What I am wondering: I sometimes have the feeling when people here talk about "light contact" it's different to what I know under "light contact".

I'm doing only light contact, but there is no chance I would be able to walk just through the strikes or kicks.
    They hurt; they can make you bruise; they let your head spin and make you hear funny bells; they can make you need to shake your head, because the world is spinning; ...
    When we hit we use our entire body, feet to hip to shoulder... we don't just nudge or push a little.

"Light contact" here means that it isn't the goad to KO the partner, but you do hit each other.
    Now, I'm not far in into sparring and I really, really suck at it still (even haven't done it for a while, which won't be helping), so when I do spar, I can be sure to think "ouch" a lot of times, even getting frustrated because of it (which also doesn't help, I know).

In comparison here it mostly reads as if doing "light contact" sparring, you hardly even touch each other.

I keep find it weird, to be honest.
    Or I'm just a mega-wimp :D

Funny, how statements like this always come from people, who succeed on competitions, and don't screw them up :p

axelb likes this.
  4. axelb

axelb Master of Office Chair Fu

It can vary, I think it depends on what your club does.

In my experience, if the club only does light sparring, then often it is really pulled shots, tip tap, probably would not make a focus mitt move. Usually the gloves used are thin, and if you hit harder you feel it easily, not with damage, because power in sparring is rarely practised.

If a club has hard sparring, and students actively competing in full contact, then light sparring means, "not hard sparring", but you'll also say "technical sparring".
    Padding is like 16oz boxing gloves, shin pads and mouth guard, so going tip tap feels like a kid hitting you with a pillow.

Knee Rider and Latikos like this.
  5. Latikos

Latikos Valued Member

I think with that explanation we would do "technical sparring", as in your "not hard sparring".
    I think.

We do need protection (mouthguard, gloves, shin pads, foot protection, groin guard; if we want head protection).
    Because it's definitely more than a pillow fight :D

The aim is just not KOing the other, let alone injure him.
    Hurting him... well, let me put it this way: My nose and head did hurt... ;)

Knee Rider and axelb like this.
  6. Pretty In Pink

I've lost a lot. Loads of BJJ comps and a few MMA fights.

Knee Rider likes this.
  7. Knee Rider

Knee Rider Valued Member Supporter

The aim should never be to KO your partner for sure. I honestly think it's very rare to see that level of sparring unless the gym culture is particularly macho and centred on professional fighters or its part of a fight prep sparring session. That level of contact isn't sensible (as myself and unreal combat were discussing) for regular training.

Light contact in my experience is touch contact (light continuous point sparring) technical sparring is a little more contact but still relaxed and more flowy (bit more akin to flow rolling in BJJ) regular sparring is negotiable in contact and hard sparring is harder but still not 100% power/full contact. In hard sparring my preference is to kick and punch at around 80%-90% power to the legs and body, 70%ish to the head (enough to move the head but not a lot of venum) and to just touch in knees in the clinch and use the inner thigh on curve knees. I feel that is enough.

As unreal combat mentioned one of the key things in my opinion for a harder spar is work rate and pressure and although he and I might disagree on contact (not sure if we actually do in practice) I think that is spot on, for a hard spar. I'm still laughing and talking with my partners during harder sparring but we are constantly trying to cut each other off and land shots rather than throwing then backing away to chill which can happen a lot in sparring.

axelb likes this.
  8. Knee Rider

I'm sure it might.

Regarding the smokers I'll follow my coaches advice whatever that might be at the time but I appreciate the perspective.

Err I think going from no striking comps at all to full Thai c class pro is ridiculously bad advice mate! I'm 36 with a catalogue of minor injuries (mostly grappling) and I think a steady progression is better for me. Ultimately it's a hobby. Couple of amatuer fights in the future and I'll see how I feel lol

Dead_pool likes this.
  9. Pretty In Pink

It's just that the amateur rules are such a let down. It's easier to fight the pro rules. It's also not too difficult to find someone near your age and ability. It's the young guys that do amateur and look to improve their experiences that way. Full Thai rules have loads of different people fighting.

K-1 is the same. The amateur rules are dreadful and pro rules just make more sense, and it's not hard to find guys who fight pro, but not very well.

Knee Rider likes this.
  10. Knee Rider

I'll bear it in mind, thank you :)

11. Sarute Uchizaki

Sarute Uchizaki Valued Member

Not exactly Yoseikan trained...he studied Shotokan karate, kung fu, kickboxing, aikido, aikijujitsu, and other Japanese martial arts. So, he just imparts some of his martial arts knowledge.

Hence, when you blend all of these in 1, it's almost like Yoseikan

12. Sarute Uchizaki

Yes, I did. But I don't want to make it become obvious.

13. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

That sounds suspiciously like it's not true, virtually no one gets to learn KSR iai anymore, never mind DR aikijujitsu, you've also previously said it was yoseikan.

14. Sarute Uchizaki

Shotokan Karate

15. Sarute Uchizaki

Well, I still practice KSR iaijutsu and DR aikijujitsu in my dojo along with other Japanese martial arts except kung fu

16. Dead_pool

That's what I'm saying, outside of yoseikan, there are very very few people training in KSR iai.

So if your instructor says he wasn't trained via the yoseikan, he might not be telling the truth, especially with the DR too.

There also used to be a yoseikan school, On Mauritius.

17. Dead_pool

How to improve my martial arts skills?

18. Latikos

Latikos Valued Member

Then it really is just that we have different things in mind, when we use "light sparring", which answers my main question ^^
    I think, "regular sparring" would be, what we do, going with these examples.

I don't get it.
    You don't want anyone to notice, that you use technique instead of just flailing your arms around?

ned and axelb like this.
  19. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

Are there videos of this sparring?

20. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

:confused: Huh? Did you just not phrase that properly? Kung Fu is a term for various styles of Chinese martial arts, not Japanese. Saying you study "other Japanese martial arts except Kung Fu" makes no sense as Kung Fu isn't a Japanese martial art.