How to dull a sharp katana for training?

Discussion in 'Ninjutsu' started by thomas81, Apr 13, 2015.

1. thomas81

thomas81 Valued Member

Not too long ago i purchased a new katana for training unfortunately it came with much too sharp a blade for the dojo. What is the best way to dull a katana with minimum evidence of alteration to the blade so it is still safe for training?

2. SWC Sifu Ben

SWC Sifu Ben I am the law

If it's an expensive katana, don't ruin it like this.
    If it's a cheap katana it wouldn't be suitable for training even after you dulled it down.

Wait and buy an iaito.

3. kevin g

kevin g Valued Member

Don't do it, just get a 99 dollar aluminum iaito designed for training.

4. matveimediaarts

matveimediaarts Underappreciated genius

This^^ Decent iaitos are cheap. Unless you're doing tameshagiri or something similar, iaito is all you need. Just treat it as if it were a live blade so you don't develop bad habits.

5. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

Did you deliberately buy a live blade for practice?

6. Dean Winchester

There are $99 iaito designed for training?

:eek:

7. gapjumper

gapjumper Intentionally left blank

Blunt it on the bones of your enemies ;)

8. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

Check out YouTube for video of what happens to a cheap sword when it hits something hard. You won't use it for much other than solitary practice or covering a stain on the wall once you see what happens

9. Please reality

Please reality Back to basics

You use it to carve a bokken/bokuto out of an oar and use that instead.

10. Dean Winchester

Very apt considering today's date.

:D

11. Please reality

Please reality Back to basics

That depends on your time zone. :D I'm sure either would be tossing in their graves if they saw some of the stuff being peddled as kenjutsu today.

12. JibranK

JibranK Valued Member

13. JibranK

JibranK Valued Member

14. thomas81

thomas81 Valued Member

I didn't deliberately purchase a live blade, i was going from the retailers description.

The sword was neither cheap nor that expensive. It was kind of economy-practical. I paid $175. On the retailers website it was advertised a 'practical' sword, meaning it was fine for martial arts.

I brought it into class and my shidoshi suggested warming the blade in warm water and using a product called 'smooth n dry' which would take the edge off of it. Can't find hide nor hair of it though.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2015
  15. thomas81

thomas81 Valued Member

Katanas have been used in the past in our class, and i wasn't told to not get it either. I brought up the subject before and my instructor even offered me to quote his details if there was any problems with the transaction process due to legalities. I purchased it half for my own pleasure and half for the intention of using it in class.

16. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

17. JibranK

JibranK Valued Member

No offence, but I would be skeptical of such an instructor.

What's wrong with bokuto, fukuro-shinai, and iaito exactly?

18. SWC Sifu Ben

SWC Sifu Ben I am the law

Practical = target cutter

It's not suitable for contact. At best you're going to wreck the sword. At worst you're going to wreck you and the people around you.

19. maressa

maressa Banned Banned

Go to Iraq or Syria and join ISIS. Then you can chop off a bunch of peoples heads with the katana. that will dull it eventually.

20. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

Um, ok. That was a weird comment :confused: