How to best promote my Family's style?

Discussion in 'Silat' started by pakarilusi, Mar 25, 2012.

1. pakarilusi

pakarilusi Valued Member

I just found out about my own Family style three years back. (Long story there why I found out so late...)

(FYI, I have done 3 different styles of Silat (Cekak, Harimau Berantai, Fitrah Sejagat) and TKD, JKD and BJJ/Judo.)

Now, I am in the process of wanting to promote my Family's style of Silat.

It is called Silat Hati Murni (basically "The Way of the Pure Heart").

It focuses on the Permainan (direct translaton is "play" or "game"). It is also more commonly known as Silat Pulut or Silat Pengantin. Lots of that on Youtube.

It is very traditional in that there is no belt system. Also, there are no Jurus or Buah... You are taught as you do.

However, unlike the common Silat Pulut versions out there, my style focuses more on weapons. Mainly the Golok Perak.

So, I would like to promote it worldwide as I feel it has a lot to offer everyone in the world, as cliche as that may sound. :)

I'll be putting up Videos of our classes and lessons on Youtube in the next few months.

Other than that, cannot really think of other avenues.

Maybe some here can contribute?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2012
  2. Ular Sawa

Ular Sawa Valued Member

Youtube is obviously the best delivery system for reaching a world wide audience. Post up some links, I'll go have a look.

Just keep teaching a group of dedicated students who will get something out of it. As long as you can touch a handful of people in a meaningful way then it's a success.

you may also want to lower the bar on your expectations a little, Silat is not a popular art world wide.

3. pakarilusi

pakarilusi Valued Member

Thanks Ular Sawa.

Great advice, will put up my videos soon.

It'll look a little different than most of the Silat you've seen coming out of Malaysia.

4. AndrewTheAndroid

AndrewTheAndroid A hero for fun.

If you have access to a high def camera then you can put together an amateur film that showcases the art.

5. Osu,

Contact Aegis for a cost friendly ad package on MAP. :)

Osu!

6. shootodog

shootodog restless native

Many family systems have been ruined by mass marketing. Many family systems have been lost because of not enough inheritors. The balance is needed.

7. pakarilusi

pakarilusi Valued Member

I do. I am Professional Actor and an Indie Film Maker.

That's the plan, shoot it nicely. ;)

8. pakarilusi

pakarilusi Valued Member

Great idea, will look into it, thanks... :)

9. pakarilusi

pakarilusi Valued Member

I actually understand, will keep that in mind. :)

10. Hapuka

Hapuka Te Aho

Youtube, and public demonstration of your art. Competing in an open sparring event with your art form would be one way to gain attention (though you said your art focuses mainly on weapons) or self defense demonstrations.

Maybe this might give you a bit of inspiration, here's an example of Silat in an open martial arts tournament (this practitioners showmanship was excellent)

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pzh3ST0plXs&feature=channel_video_title"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pzh3ST0plXs&feature=channel_video_title[/ame]

11. pakarilusi

pakarilusi Valued Member

Thanks for that Hapuka.

However, my Silat is weapons based, as you did notice. So, an MMA like fight is out of the question really...

But we do have our own game/sparring, the Permainan, but it is more like fencing or Kendo. We don't use swords though.

Anyway, thanks again... ;)

12. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

Not a Silat guy but I just wanted to say good luck.

Family systems like this need to be kept going, sadly we hear of too many cultural treasures dying out.

All the best with it.

:cool:

13. Hapuka

Hapuka Te Aho

Public demonstration (places like festivals are a good option for demonstration) where you could do a show explaining the history of your martial art, demonstrating patterns (if your art has any) and weapons sparring with a partner and some applications of the art that could be used today such as in self defense scenarios. Are you also in the position to teach your art to others? If so you could advertise that you're teaching in your local area.

Where do you happen to live?

Because I know an individual (Antonio Graceffo) who has worked with discovery channel (Human Weapon) and black belt magazine in the past who often travels around south Asia recording indigenous art forms. You could try contacting him through his youtube channel, he hosts a show known as Martial Arts Odyssey - http://www.youtube.com/user/brooklynmonk1

The first step would be to open up a youtube channel and record yourself doing some patterns or explaining aspects of the art form, if you would like any help with editing footage I would be more than happy to assist. Its really important that we preserve treasures of the past to they can be cherished for generations to come.

14. pakarilusi

pakarilusi Valued Member

Wow, thanks Hapuka. Very generous of you.

I will be putting up my videos soon.

And thanks for all the other ideas too... :)

And thanks Dean, you're right... And I cannot let this die out as it is my ancestral heritage. ;)