How practical is Aikido?

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by iolair, Feb 4, 2005.

1. iolair

iolair Mostly Harmless

I'm thinking of giving Aikido a try ... to what extent is it a practical art? (I'll still be practicing kickboxing ... so could combine it with that in a "real" situation if necessary)

Last edited: Feb 4, 2005
  2. Zankuro

Zankuro Valued Member

Quite practical, in the right situation. If you want an aiki-based art for self defense, look into one that incorporates striking techniques, in my opinion. While the ideal is to not need to strike, as a beginner it will be almost nessecary for "real" situations.

Until you are fairly proficient with the aiki, it would be more effective in one or two on one situations, since you can more easily stop the person(s) without hurting them, whereas sticking with debilitating strikes would be best for several attacker scenarioes.

Do note, though, that the "gentle" arts tend to do more damage than the "hard" ones if the person recieving them decides to violently resist. ;)

3. Chris_sirhC

Chris_sirhC 6th Kyu, Yoshinkan Aikido

Too add on to what Zankuro said... yes Aikido can be very pratical. As much so as any other style of martial arts.

If Aikido has any fault though in comparison to other styles its how long it takes, how much training is involved, in order to be able to make Aikido pratical. Its a very very slow learning process compared to most styles and alot of people get disuaded by that.

4. Banpen Fugyo

Banpen Fugyo 10000 Changes No Surprise

If your good at any style you'll be a great fighter. Personally I didnt like Aikido, based on some of the faults listed above. I mean, yeah, grandmaster aikido-man could kill me, but you have to understand, aikido was created in a time of peace. There was no war. Think on that, take a few lessons, try it out, see for yourself.

5. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

Aikido was created during and because of several wars.

But otherwise, ya, what all those guys said. And you should read the FAQ stuck to the top of the Aikido forum.

6. samharber

samharber New Member

Aikido is fine as long as you learn to punch and kick properly as well. Also, when training, you need to try against realistic attacks instead of the usual telegraphed attacks.

Aliveness gets everywhere, doesn't it...

7. Doppleganger

Doppleganger Valued Member

I've heard it be said that you're either very very good at AKido or very very crap. It takes a long time to learn and this alone puts most people off it. I took AKido for a short while and my late master, who had been training for 30 years, was very much able to defend himself. It works and works well, but takes an age to learn.

8. Banpen Fugyo

Banpen Fugyo 10000 Changes No Surprise

Care to explain? Maybe I'm thinking of Judo or something, but Im pretty sure there was no fuedal fighting going on when aikido was developed

9. KevinK37

KevinK37 Valued Member

I believe, but i'm not too sure about the dates, Aikido was in the developement stages before, during and after WWII.

10. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

A more important question would be "Is the teacher any good at teaching?" If you go along to try it out. Don't just look at the teacher. In the case of Aikido I think it's especially important to look at the performance of everybody on the mat. That'll tell if the teachers getting the message across.

11. Humblebee

Humblebee PaciFIST's evil twin

I love the idea of aikido and the whole philosophy and really would like to take it up but what i've seen just doesn't convince me that it works in real life.
    On discovery chanell they showed a 1 hour documentary about aikido and even showed footage of Ueshiba defending himself againts multiple attackers
    but it seemed staged and not real life.Someone prove me wrong because Aikido is a beautiful art but i'm not sure it works.

12. INTERNAL BOXING

INTERNAL BOXING Banned Banned

I don't know why people think it takes so long I've been doing it for a year and I can defend myself very well. But I also Train 5 times a week 4 hours a day without missing a class. :)

13. alex_000

alex_000 You talking to me?

One thing is for sure. It doesn't mix well with kick boxing.

(I've done both)

14. Satori81

Satori81 Never Forget...

The method of instructing Aikido factors in greatly with the "street" effectiveness of this art. While most will say "Aikido is a gentle, peaceful art", many others will say differently. While I was studying Karate, we rented space/time to an Aikido instructor. When my instructor laughingly referred to Aikido as "The Art of Wrist Breaking", I laughed it off and tried a class.

My wrist still hurts.

May you achieve
    Satori

15. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

Read the bio books, dude. I'm pretty sure books are available where you live.

O'Sensei was born in 1883. He fought in the Russo-Japanese War, 1904-05. He was awarded medals of honor for his courage under fire. He lived through WWI but did not participate in it. In 1924 he went on a crazy mission through China into Mongolia. He and his party were not welcome by the Chinese. They were shot at and chased down many times by Chinese soldiers. Eventually they were captured by Chinese soldiers, and very nearly executed. In 1942 or so, as Japan was getting involved in WWII, he changed the name of his martial art to "aikido." By that time in his life he opposed war, so he went into near seclusion until the war ended.

I don't know what world you live in, but aikido works in my world. We have a prison guard on this forum who says aikido works in the real prisons of his world too. And aikido is taught to riot police in Japan, evidencing that it works in their world. I have a friend who taught aikido to policemen and parole officers in the Los Angeles area, because aikido works. I can think of two Los Angeles policemen who published instructional video tapes on aikido. It obviously worked in their world too.

But, hey, if you live in a different world where aikido doesn't work, fine, you live in a different world where aikido doesn't work. You know your world best. One of the things I love about MAP is the variety of people who post here. It's quite nice.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2005
  16. andrewS

andrewS Banned Banned

I'm yet to see Aikido that works.

17. Knight_Errant

Knight_Errant Banned Banned

The way I see it, there's nothing majorly wrong with knowing a few wrist locks and difficult, hard-to-pull off throws. The way some aikidoka go on though, you'd think that you can survive in real confrontations with a few dodgy wrist locks and trying to grab people's arms while they're hitting you without throwing a single punch ever- you can't.

18. Chris_sirhC

Not sure about other styles of Aikido but in my school (Yoshinkan) we do include strikes. We are not so niave to not see the point of strikes... but the strikes we do make use of tend to be distractions and lead ins to other techniques and strikes for the pure sake of striking.

19. Knight_Errant

Knight_Errant Banned Banned

Yeah, I'm aware that some aikido people do include strikes. For me, personally, aikido is too limited to grabbing, joint-locking, throwing etc. I might consider doing some for the pure hell of learning how to do some of the more impressive stuff at some point :D

20. Chris_sirhC

AnderwS,

The only way you ever will would be to attend a class... I made the mistake once of questioning Aikido having come from a Karate and Juijitsu background, was suggested I come at my instructor, it hurt and not him. The funny thing was is he was being gentle.

I suppose you could do the same.