How old were you when you started martial arts and what style

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by jfleshner, Jan 2, 2009.

1. Anth

Anth Daft. Supporter

Started Kamishin Ryu Karate when I was 8, quit a year later (like a lot of kids do). Started again at the same club when I was 14 and I'm still there now aged 22 and 2nd dan.

As of a few weeks ago I'm also studying Aikido (Dynamic Aikido Nocquet) and enjoying being back at the bottom of the pecking order.

2. jonwade

jonwade Valued Member

Shaolin 5 Pattern Hung kuen

Now 35, taking a break from Chow Gar southern mantis, but really should get along to some lessons as soon as I have a car again.

3. Topher

Topher allo!

6. Karate (don't know the style). Didn't stick to it for long (about six months) and didn't get any belts. I restarted training, this time in Tang Soo Do, when I was 18.

4. surrealism

surrealism trying to fit in

wing chun at 21 for a few months, 23 capoeira for 2 years, 26 tai chi yang style, still doing tai chi at 31, yue chia at 31.

5. Gojushinki

Gojushinki Pre-Blue Belt

Gojushinki Ryu at 14, still with it after a year and a half. A bit of tai chi and escrima here and there, but nothing major. And in case anybody's wondering why i call it Gojushinki Ryu instead of just Goju Ryu, it's because Goju Ryu is the original style practised in Okinawa. Because of the obvious changes that have been made between there and Canadian Goju, we call it Gojushinki Ryu, which loosely means "In the spirit of the hard-soft style." We don't train in Goju, we train in the spirit of it.

6. efret

efret New Member

I started when I was 14 with ITF Tae Kwon Do and haven't stopped yet

7. El Medico

El Medico Valued Member

Started when I was about a month shy of 20.Yang TCC.

8. SaintToad

SaintToad New Member

Started with Wado Ryu Karate in my early 20s. Couple of years of that, then Aikido for 3-4 years, then Shorinji Kempo for the last 10 years or so. Many gaps in training though.

9. Banpen Fugyo

Banpen Fugyo 10000 Changes No Surprise

Ummm...

I dont remember when I started, but I had a black belt in TKD by 12, according to my certificate.

10. Sonshu

Sonshu Buzz me on facebook

My father was a boxing champ in the army years ago and at aged 5 he was training me to box to deal with couple of "big kids who chased me home" they were about 6 or 7 but I remember them being huge.

They left me alone after that and I moved onto Wado Ryu Karate at about aged 7, then kickboxing/Jujitsu, Ninjutsu and then MMA/cross training.

There have been fleeting add ons in Aikido and all sorts of others.

11. shuyun3

shuyun3 Shugyosha

at 15 I was self taught at Monkey-see monkey-do.

12. SMMA

SMMA Mind-Body-Sprit

I started karate (Shotokan) at the age of 3 with my uncle.

13. MissKarate

MissKarate Sankukai Karate

I started Sankukai Karate at 11 years old and i am now 12.

14. raging demon

raging demon Banned Banned

started thai boxing at 8

15. CDKungFu

CDKungFu Valued Member

Shotokan when I was 9, but now teach Celtic Dragon Hybrid Gung Fu.

16. KAMAU

KAMAU innocent bystander

wado ryu at 13, to many to count hits and missis with TKD (wtf) from 16 to 51, back on the horse last 10 months:eek:

17. mlporter

mlporter Valued Member

Shotokan Karate at the ripe old age of 29, about 5 months ago.

18. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

Taiji at 7, Lohan at 11, long fist and Shuai Chiao at 14.

19. Alcatraz

Alcatraz Valued Member

I was 7 when I started Shotokan Karate. I'm a month shy of 40, and I'm now an eclectic Tradititional Karate-ka (there's a contradiction for you to work out).

20. Blade96

Blade96 shotokan karateka

Kenpo Karate - age 31. (around september 2, 2009)

Shotokan karate - age 31. (joined around september 10, 2009)

(thinking of doing a second semester of kenpo in addition to my shotokan....just for da lolz of it.....i don't think i'll be able to do 50 pushups though and thats required in that school to get a yellow belt, not sure if thats fair at all, I learned everything required to pass a test for kenpo but i cant do 50 pushups but thats for another topic)

But shotokan is my real and one true love. :love:

Last edited: Dec 11, 2009