How often would a martial artist carry a weapon?

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by mewtwo55555, Jun 24, 2015.

1. mewtwo55555

mewtwo55555 Valued Member

So in "ancient" times "anything before 1960" in china and other Asian countries how often would a martial artist carry a weapon? When they were going to the market? To the seamstress? To a bar or pub? Generally out in public?

What wear the laws in those times on weapons?

2. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

Do your history research. Often there were bans on weapons even before entering cities. Many governments did not want non-military people to have, let alone carry weapons. You may be watching too many movies

3. mewtwo55555

mewtwo55555 Valued Member

Why do you think I am asking on here. I am in the process of doing some research and was asking.

4. Tom bayley

Tom bayley Valued Member

In the same way that the Chinese would eat anything with legs that was not a bench they would use anything as a weapon including a bench.

Many traditional arts such as Hung ga or CLF included training in military weapons as standard. This is spite of the fact that an art is known for its hand forms and "borrows" it's weapons.

Dont know about every day carrying of small weapons though.

5. E-Rocker

E-Rocker Valued Member

Your question is very broad, essentially, "what were the weapons laws in Asia anytime before 1960?" You may have better luck asking something more specific, for example "what were the weapons laws in Tokyo between 1800 and 1850?"

Good luck with your research.

6. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

No, 47MM. We're a discussion forum. And the question was asked specifically on the "Questions and Answers" forum. If you're not interested in answering questions, I submit that it's actually you who's in the wrong place at the moment. No need to belittle someone for asking.

7. 47MartialMan

I stand corrected. Perhaps a better answer/helpful post would be;

Something like this may help;

http://www.medieval-life-and-times.info/

8. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Define "weapon"

9. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Something bladed or blunt edged with the sole purpose of using for combat. So rice flails would be discounted but a samurai sword would count.

10. qazaqwe

qazaqwe Valued Member

Granted, from what little i remember about Okinawan martial arts, most weapons trained were supposed to be analogs of various tools and farming implements anyway.

11. kuntaoer

kuntaoer Valued Member

Let me activate my way back machine to help with this subject.. In the pacific rim and asia region, most of the cultures were agriculture based, so most farmers carried farming implements and these could be used for self defense means.. In the Philippines and other southeast asia countries, the blade was used for everything from working in the field to cutting up food for the dinner table..

During ww2, the filipino guerrillas and scouts used their bolos in normal day to day survival mode along with self defense means as a way of protection.. The Bolo battalions were known for that specific reason, they used bolos and other sharp instruments because of the lack of firearms at the time.. The bolo battalions used their bolos in combat and most of the time, the weapons used by their aggressors were picked up and used in the attacks against the japanese

12. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

What do you mean by "borrows it's weapons?" CLF has just as much right to claim use of Traditional Chinese weapons as any other Chinese art. And we have almost every Chinese weapon known in our style.

I wouldn't say CLF is known for hand forms over weapons at all. What is that based on?

Last edited: Jun 25, 2015
  13. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

How often would anybody carry a weapon?

If you are a homeless and not carry a weapon with you 24/7, you are not serious about your own life.

14. qazaqwe

qazaqwe Valued Member

What world do you live in where you are so constantly afraid for your life you have a weapon at all times?

15. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

I was homeless in NYC for 3 months. I slept in the NYC Riverside Park along the Hudson River. I need to protect myself and I didn't expect the law would protect me back then.

If you ever visit the Big Bend National Park, you should carry some firearm. Sometime people would cross the river from the other side, rob you, kill you, and cross the river back. You just can't expect the park rangers to protect you in such a large area.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2015
  16. qazaqwe

qazaqwe Valued Member

I can't relate to being homeless, so i'm going to have to take your word on it that you were constantly assaulted and needed a weapon with which to cause harm to potential threats before they did harm to you, but why are you going all the way to Texas if you are expecting to be robbed and killed?

17. 47MartialMan

Genuine Curiosity; What can someone rob from a homeless person?

I have been around homeless people and volunteered at homeless shelters. Very few had weapons, less of any magnitude

18. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

You buy car insurance but you don't expect to have your car wrack every day. I believe in to increase my chance of survival to the best I can.

19. 47MartialMan

But, you did not answer my question. (You maybe a single, uncommon case)

Genuine Curiosity; What can someone rob from a homeless person?

I have been around homeless people and volunteered at homeless shelters. Very few had weapons, less of any magnitude

20. qazaqwe

qazaqwe Valued Member

If you carry a weapon and are never attacked, are you increasing your chances of survival, or have you just wasted money on something you never needed?