How much weight loss is sensible?

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by alister, Jun 8, 2007.

1. alister

alister Huh?

Hi all,

I need to lose weight.

I'm applying to join the RAuxAF (I used to be in th regular RAF and now fancy another stint, albeit part-time) so I need to get my weight down, which in turn will help my fitness.

I need to lose it quite quickly, but also do not want to fall in to the trap of "lose it quick, put it back on quicker".

So, I know all the foods I should be eating, the activities I should be doing, but what is a realistic but still challenging, say weekly, target for weight loss. What I don't want to do is set some unrealistic target and get demotivated, but at the same time I don't want to crawl at snail's pace.

If it helps, I'm 6ft and 112Kg (17.5st) - Big frame and muscular though. Mainly carrying weight on the belly. My ideal target would be something like 95kg (15st) - I know that still sounds a lot, but think rugby player physique and you'll understand I've never really been small.

I train BJJ and MMA 3 times a week and plan to add runs and stuff on top along with eating right.

Any ideas/help advice really appreciated. :D

2. Gary

Gary Vs The Irresistible Farce Supporter

First off use the search function, this has been covered a lot already.

Some quick basics:

Between half a kilo and a kilo is reasonable, it's better to aim for the half kilo and regard anything extra as a bonus. You want to lose 17 kilos, which is a fair bit of fat, so I'd estimate it would take between 4 and 8 months of moderate fat loss with minimal muscle loss.

You're already doing a couple of martial arts and running, which I would hazard a guess is closer to jogging than sprinting? If that's the case try to add in some sprint interval work instead of your usual. Some heavy resistance work mixed in could help too, although I'd be cautious since it will be pushing the volume high.

Something I just started which I would really recommend is a fitday journal. It makes you very accountable for your own progress when you can see a record of what you're doing.

3. SiAiS

SiAiS Moved on

Please can you send me.

1. A chef to prepare all my meals
    2. A full time training partner, perferably with martial arts experience *
    3. A couple of staff to keep me entertained throughout the day
    4. A round the world airticket inc. hotels & spending money **

* And a push bike
    ** Me and the staff

That should pretty much do it I reckon

4. Suhosthe

Suhosthe A dwarf! A dwarf!

Get 'em yourself. :p

Actually, see if you can find number 2. That's helpful to anybody. :)

Weightloss is hard work. It sucks. Anyone who's been on a diet will tell you. The key, however, is not to 'go on a diet', but is to fix your unhealthy eating habits and maintain them for the rest of your life. That'll prevent you from putting it all back on again.

Coma's suggestion of a FitDay journal is an excellent idea. It breaks down your food intake into fantastic detail so that you can micromanage your diet. Plus, it's a fun project in many respects, as you can set all kinds of targets for yourself. And it's free.

As you're based in the UK, I'm inclined to suggest you pop along to a Slimming World class near you, but I understand how most men intensely dislike the idea of attending a weightloss class. However, they have an excellent weightloss plan based on eating a lot (how can you resist?). They do have a magazine which is widely distributed, a website to support members of their clubs and also a separate website which you can join and follow the diet plan without attending classes.

Anyway, unlike other slimming groups, they genuinely have a plan which helps you to relearn how you approach food, and will help to fix those bad habits.

5. SiAiS

SiAiS Moved on

I'm cycling about 100 miles a week = reckon that should do it