How much should I train to start off in MMA?

Discussion in 'MMA' started by Maryreade1234, Jul 5, 2019.

1. Maryreade1234

Maryreade1234 Member

Heya so im a 27 yr old woman and im trying to condition my body to be a fighter.

Im trying to get into the sport as fast as possible, im on the doll so dont have any other commitments. I am generally physically fit, worked as a cycle courier for 1 year and cycle around london wherever I go cos its free.

Im wondering what the ideal amount I should train is, iv been trying to do 12 hours a week but i've had to delay a little as I keep injuring myself in sparring by going in too hard. Im thinking of doing 9 hours a week, now I could do 2 days of 4.5 hours (3 hours MMA, 1.5 hours BJJ(no gi)). Or would I be better off doing monday to friday 1.5 hours in the morning. What will make me learn faster?

Im at crossface MMA gym and its fairly flexible in the training times, has 1030-1200 classes every day, but also has evening sessions.

Sorry if this post doesn't make much sense im autistic and dyslexic so communication is hard.

Pretty In Pink likes this.
  2. icefield

icefield Valued Member

Crossface is run by a bjj blackbelt and has pro fighters training there, it's best to speak to them tell them you want to compete and ask them the best way to train.

Honestly they will know better than us

3. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Yep, if you have pro fighters and trainers who work with you, they will know what will work for you so much better than strangers on the net can.

Different people have different views on sparring, but in general I think you should be going relatively light unless told otherwise. Sparring is for learning and drilling most of the time.

Dead_pool and Monkey_Magic like this.
  4. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

If your new to training, then less hours a day and more days a week is best for getting used to the volume of training.

As for being a fighter, ask at your gym, they know better then we do.

5. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Definitely ask at your gym. Instructors will know your situation better than us.

I would say though, if you think you're going to hard in sparring and it's causing injuries, absolutely you should lighten it somewhat. Hard sparring is for fight preperation and that's about it.

Dead_pool and Monkey_Magic like this.
  6. Maryreade1234

Maryreade1234 Member

Also what I have noticed is that I use very little BJJ/CSW when I actually fight and just prefer to just stand and bang. I train no gi twice a week and its somewhat included in MMA. However im much more comfortable just banging people comes more naturally, is grappling something that you need to learn slowly over time or can you go in hardcore and learn it quicker?

I could potentially train in the gi 2-3 times a week in addition to CSW. Would training in the GI help me as well?

7. Maryreade1234

Maryreade1234 Member

I am asking in my gym btw, just posting up here for second oppinion. Coach told me "Just do what your body feels."

8. Dead_pool

You don't know much grappling, so that's why you don't use it, "standing and banging" generally isnt a good long term approach, the more grappling exposure you have the better, otherwise just do kickboxing, Gi is slower, so it can (depending on how it's taught) be better to learn first, its like learning to drive on a small road before going on the motorway!

Go try some classes and see what you enjoy!

9. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

People tend to either like things straight away, or they like it after they get good at it. Personally I never liked wrestling but then I started getting takedowns and now I like it more.

Also if you want to fight, you should be grappling as much as you can. If you train both gi and no-gi at the same time you won't notice the differences in style. You'll improve much faster than one or the other because you're putting in more general hours of grappling.

Grappling in the beginning is just beneficial to do whatever you can get your hands on because it's all fairly interchangeable as long as the rule set is open. The only people that should be doing "just no-gi" are the guys that are doing it 5/6 times a week with the very specific purpose of no-gi comps and MMA. If you can't do no-gi 5/6 times a week you should do 2 no-gi and 3/4 times a week in a gi.

Dead_pool likes this.
  10. Dead_pool

Why would someone training in londen, contact a Singapore Gym?

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 16, 2019
  11. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

Because SPAM!

Dead_pool likes this.
  12. Dead_pool

So all your doing here is making more work for the management team at (name deleted) MMA. If your getting paid for getting good word out about (name deleted) MMA, your doing a really bad job.

Why not post a match video up in the correct section, and start a discussion.

Or a highlight video and say.... I just attending this seminar and they were so good, we did the kimura, I like the kimura..... I heard there was this one time at kimura club........ That sort of thing, really put some effort in, otherwise you just look spammy!

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 16, 2019
  13. Dead_pool

I've just looked and it looks like youonly have four/six weeks training, so yea, you'll need more then 12 hours of grappling training to know what your doing!

Keep training, avoid getting injured, and develop a good skill base!

14. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

Mod note: Yeah, please don't use a thread to advertise a gym that has no relevance to the actual topic. Contact Mitch for our advertising rates.

Everyone, please remember to use the report function when seeing something the mods should deal with. Thanks!