How much pain in class?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Jang Bong, Mar 12, 2005.

?

How much pain do you experience in a 'normal' class

1. 1 - mild sweat, is that heavy breating?

3 vote(s)
    3.5%
  2. 2

3 vote(s)
    3.5%
  3. 3

5 vote(s)
    5.8%
  4. 4

10 vote(s)
    11.6%
  5. 5 - minor knocks and bruises, slight muscle twists, etc

25 vote(s)
    29.1%
  6. 6

20 vote(s)
    23.3%
  7. 7

15 vote(s)
    17.4%
  8. 8

4 vote(s)
    4.7%
  9. 9 - Oooh! That looks nasty - doctor / hospital / out of training

1 vote(s)
    1.2%
  1. Nrv4evr

Nrv4evr New Member

Doing full contact, I'd say about somewhere between 6-8. 9's probably only happened once, when a guy had his nose disfigured with a roundhouse kick. Looked pretty damn nasty... Not hospital material, but just how NASTY it looked really gave it a 9.

2. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

If I don't feel like throwing up once or twice I consider the class to have been wasted....

3. Sonshu

Sonshu Buzz me on facebook

6 I often get knocks and am currently nursing a pulled neck muscle. Its not full all out war every session but we do go upto that level at times!

4. wee VooDoo

wee VooDoo Valued Member

Last couple of weeks ive had a few bloody noses. Bruses on forearms, legs etc. Then 2weeks ago today I broke my nose. So I aint sure where to put my number so I put it around 6.

5. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

im not sure i get the question... for a 5 do you mean you get that hurt every lesson? couple of bruises now and then, occasionally someone gets caught with a good shot, but its rarely serious. I guess that makes me a 4-6?

6. Athleng Nordic

Athleng Nordic Sadly passed away. RIP. Supporter

No pain no gain as they say. If I don't get a couple of knocks I don't feel like I trained.

7. Alexander

Alexander Possibly insane.

I do a few arts and they average to a 2.

Hapkido generally gives me quite a few bruises. So 4.
    Boxing does as well. 4 as well.
    Shotokan Karate - well thats a '1'
    TKD depends where I am training. In the north '1'. When I am back down south '5', but that is rarely.

8. JinkokMike

JinkokMike New Member

Pain never done anyone a little harm! :D

9. reikislapper

reikislapper see you on the flypaper

:D Depends who's giving it and who'e receiving it at the time lol.

We had a good session yesterday with learning a bit of self defence in the practice group what the teacher does on a wednesday morning.We have a brilliant time together as we do tai chi, pushing hands and self defence sometimes and when we do the self defence I like it to be as real as they are prepared to go as I love the challenge of trying to get out of a situation without too much hassle. Anyway I do have a few bruises coming from the lesson and I really don't mind that one as it could be a lot worse if I didn't know how to defend myself properly in any of the different aspects of defence. I do have to say this though and I'm sure someone will say something when I return to the class lol, I've noticed on a lot of DVD's, videos, and various teachers I know personally they always show the attack slowly and they seem to show the defence moves in the same mannar, why is this? lol, it doesn't happen like it on the street where you live and the attacker won't be playing when he/she meets up with you, this is why it's important to be real as you can no matter what.
    lisa xx

10. mr_vodka

mr_vodka New Member

Many teachers goes to fast motions right away which I personaly think isn't thebest option. I would say to it slow, understand the techniques/movements/etc and then do it full speed. otherwise it's easy to learn something wrong and then you have to un-learn and re-learn.
    Anyways, just my opinion.
    Osu!

_EDIT_
    Sorry for off-topic

Last edited: Apr 14, 2005
  11. adouglasmhor

adouglasmhor Not an Objectivist

Normally about 4 or 5 but we have had a broken collar bone (but the girl it happened to finished the class before going to hospital - maybe not wise but top marks for courage) and a couple of other minor knocks, I have had my cruciate ligament stretched but not broken and the tsuba of a boken hard right into the middle of my forehead and I am sure everyone else has been down this road as well.

12. iamraisen

iamraisen Valued Member

every session i have bruised thighs and shins from training and when sparring usually a busted nose/thick lip and even worse thighs and shins than usual. however i have been unable to drive home before due to my knee being popped out of socket by a hard thigh kick that missed the pad. it all depends who im training with. if im with the beginner classes training some of the younger ones its an easy lesson but advanced classes are definately that. you come out of them hurting no matter what your ability

13. NaughtyKnight

NaughtyKnight Has yellow fever!

I'd say around 6. We have never had anyone carted off in a ambulence, but there has been some really nasty KOs.

I got backed kicked in the cheek today, and my jaw still feels unakwardly alined.

After sparing, my arms and legs are bruised. From time to time I end up with a black eye, and more than often I get bruises all over my chest from not blocking side and back kicks.

I have had a fractured rib from a roundhouse drill, pretty much my worse injury.

14. adouglasmhor

adouglasmhor Not an Objectivist

My worst injury was a badly bruised coccyx. Ouch for weeks.

15. Wolf

Wolf Totalitarian Dictator

I'd say usually around 5 or 6. Besides a really intense kicking workout that will make legs just sore I have a tendency to get beat to hell when we work on techniques. Wrist locks and pressure points really work on me so those always hurt in training. My two worst injuries in class though:
    1) Some one did a hip toss where they do kind of a clothesline on me and throw me backward over their hip. They were kind of new and lost control of the throw sending me into a backflip. I didn't make it all the way aound and came crashing down on my right knee cap. Luckily nothing was broken I just strained the ligaments really bad.
    2) About a month ago we were working on dive rolls going over obstacles. I didn't plant my hand quite right and my arm gave out. All my weight came down on the top of my left shoulder. It basically caused the shoulder muscles to seize up really tight. It's taken a lot of anti-inflammatories, stretching, heat and rest to get back to normal.

16. Peter Bradbury

Peter Bradbury Valued Member

Id say around 7, as its weapons and im going for my full instructor grade soon. lots of knocks from the sticks, and plently of pain and being thrown around and locked up from my instructors (Pat Omalley :p ). But hey i geuss i must enjoy it as i keep going...

Peter

17. Davey Bones

Davey Bones New Member

5-6. We train hard. Lots of contact drilling, and we don't hold back. It's not uncommon for everyone to have bruised arms and legs from the drilling we do. We're pretty careful on our sparring and grappling; no one feels the need to show off, so that saves us a few injuries. But every now and then we get an "oops"; we've had a broken rib, sprained wrist, a footsweep gone bad that injured both parties, but no one's ever ended up unconscious!

18. Iai-do master

Iai-do master New Member

I picked 8 cuz a peaple get hurt alot in my class iv seen more than a few peaple get knocked out. but it could be worse!