How much pain in class?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Jang Bong, Mar 12, 2005.

?

How much pain do you experience in a 'normal' class

1. 1 - mild sweat, is that heavy breating?

3 vote(s)
    3.5%
  2. 2

3 vote(s)
    3.5%
  3. 3

5 vote(s)
    5.8%
  4. 4

10 vote(s)
    11.6%
  5. 5 - minor knocks and bruises, slight muscle twists, etc

25 vote(s)
    29.1%
  6. 6

20 vote(s)
    23.3%
  7. 7

15 vote(s)
    17.4%
  8. 8

4 vote(s)
    4.7%
  9. 9 - Oooh! That looks nasty - doctor / hospital / out of training

1 vote(s)
    1.2%
  1. Jang Bong

Jang Bong Speak softly....big stick

In the various threads we see a wide variety of training techniques, styles, and methods. On a scale of 1 to 9, how much physical pain do you recieve in a normal / regular class? Ignore special events, gradings, and other oddities :D

I'm working on the basis of 1 meaning "heavy breathing, and a bit of a sweat", 5 showing as "knocks, bruises, muscle pulls that are better in 3-4 days", through to 9 giving "potential broken bones, serious muscle strain, visit doctor ASAP".

2. Anth

Anth Daft. Supporter

Probably around 4 or 5 in my main club. Gradings are around the same, even if I am not the one grading :)

At my other club, we are lucky if it gets to 1 :(

3. rtkd-badger

rtkd-badger Fundimentaly Manipulated

I would have to say a 5 to a 7

4. JTiedes

JTiedes Wielder of the Wiffle.

im going to go with a 5-7 too. normally we dont get serisouly banged up, but about every month or so, someone screws themselves up

5. David

David Mostly AFK, these days

We aim to play in the range 5 to 7. The lower end for the more cooperative stamina/power partner-training and the high end for application drilling and sparring.

Occasionally someone gets injured and in these cases, teacher can often aid recovery with dit dar/massage.

[JOKE]If aid isn't possible, we just divvy up the guy's posessions at the end of the lesson. The fool who caused the injury doesn't get a share, of course.[/JOKE]

Does everyone find that injuries are very good lessons in anatomical form and function? Destruction instruction :).

Rgds,
    David

6. aml01_ph

aml01_ph Urrgggh...

I go for 5. Injury should be kept to a strict minimum because this will significantly affect training.

I f training is like going 13 rounds with Mike Tyson, it's pointless.

7. shotokanwarrior

shotokanwarrior I am the One

We're not that hardcore. I would say 4/5, rarely 6/7.

8. aml01_ph

aml01_ph Urrgggh...

Jang Bong said this not me. So I'm just basing my opinion on his rating scale. Whatever that can't heal within 3-4 days (heck maybe less even), is unacceptable.

9. Jang Bong

Cheers for the answers soo far - this was supposed to be a survey (selection 1-9) but the usual settup screen to put the options up was hijacked by a 'checking with admins' message. :eek: :confused: :cry:

If anyone in power can add the necessary for the radio buttons I'd appreciate it. Nothing fancy in the descriptions - 1 through 9 would do the job :D

10. TheSanSooStorm

TheSanSooStorm Valued Member

I would say a 6-7. (Sometimes 5, sometimes 8, but rarely)The version of San Soo I study is not the type that is all over the place. I study Old San Soo. But even what I do now is probably softer then it once was. After a law suit from one student ,Jimmy Woo (Grand Master/Lo Sifu) softend the style up alot, which makes up most of San Soo today, but this change diden`t effect me because Frank Woolsey was no longer apart of Jimmy Woo`s association, who taught my teacher. I`ve been fortunate enough to not have too many injuries, but I have had some. I dont even notice what once would have fazed me, mind over matter. I think if your style/school is Soft or very internal, then I would say let them do as they please, its there art/school. But if your art/school is Hard/External, I would say training remotely rough AT LEAST is a key importance, because if the style is hard, and you remove the hardness, what is it?

The person should chose his degree`s of intensity by chosing a style or school, as schools also vary. But why critcize a Soft school for being Soft? Or a Hard school for being Hard? If the school is soft, live with it, if its Hard and you don1t like it, get lost, and leave it alone. Thats what my teacher Master Bear says: "If you want to do something fun and flashy and not get hurt go down to the school out on mainstreet, its fun, it looks cool and you won`t get hurt. But if you want to learn to fight, then come here, this is what I`ll teach you, and dont WINE." Sorry thats just one of my pet pee`s, defend the soft school but lecture the hard school? Anyways I ramble too much

11. mr_vodka

mr_vodka New Member

Usually 7. I think that is quite all right for a full contact karate. We have sparrings each training and we don't use any padding except on our legs. And in each training we all have to spar with our teacher :)
    Grading I think is the same, from what I have heard. The higher you go, the rougher it gets. One of the requirements for Shodan is 10 fights in a row (10*2) :) So I'd say that it could as well go to 8 and 9.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2005
  12. Taliar

Taliar Train harder!

EIther theres a lot of insane people out there or peoples ideas of pain is alot differnet to mine. I can't imagine anyones training regularly going above 5. Arts that include a lot of throws may suffer more serious breaks but I doubt these would be counted as part of 'normal training'.

I can't see even hardcore MT guys going home after every lesson with anythink more than brusing, black eyes, sore shins. ANything above a 6 sounds like a fairly serious injury that is going to effect your ability to train effectively at the next lesson.

Apart from broken bones which should be the result of an accident, any 'serious muscle strain' means your training wrong or to hard. Improvement comes from continually pushing your limits, not from racing past them and recovering in pain.

13. Sever

Sever Valued Member

Probably a 5-6 from an average class. I'm always coming home with bruises, gi burn or a pulled muscle somewhere, but they clear up quickly and I always think that if you don't come home sweaty and bruised, you just ain't training hard enough. Our grappling class goes up to an 8 - ever had a 16 stone guy get mount? It's not fun :eek: I've still got a lovely amount of swelling in my elbow from Tuesday's class and I've had a dislocated shoulder and broken a couple of small bones in my foot from grappling and randori. To be honest, I wouldn't have it any other way :D

Last edited: Mar 18, 2005
  14. Mark_Campbell

Mark_Campbell Valued Member

Classes for me are a regular 3, i agree with taliar, anything above just seems like injury. I can feel knackered for 1-2 days after on occasions but not with my muscles all pulled to buggery.

dont get me wrong were all still a bunch of sadists who train until were breathing out of our chuffs, but 99% of the time most people go home with all limbs still attached

the "oddity" in my class would be serious injury, maybe we just take the Taekwon-do principal of 'self control' a bit more seriously than others. :cool:

15. Taliar

Taliar Train harder!

Yes in the last few weeks I've had a black eye and at the moment have a 'black foot' from bruising, however none of these injuries are serious. They wouldn't take the pain level above a 4 really. Would be interesting to see what some of the full contact guys like Ikken and Sonshu say on this subject.

16. Jang Bong

Oddly enough, it was thoughts of guys of this style that prompted the thread. In other threads where some people are accused of 'dancing round punching air', I wondered what sort of spread we got across the arts.

Admins..... Can someone please tell me what when wrong with my attempt to make this a survey?? :confused: And can someone in power :Angel: attach a simple 1-9 selection so that these nice people who have responded can give a vote. Thanks :)

17. mr_vodka

mr_vodka New Member

Of course I can be wrong but you can add the poll on your own. Just select Thread Tool and Add poll, it'll take you to a page where you can configure the poll (questions, answers, etc)

Osu!

18. Scarmiglione

Scarmiglione Valued Member

I would say on average in my Kali class it ranks from 5-7 but occasionally we gat tough guys who come in and wanna spar. Thats always fun, or newbies who have poor weapon control and i occasionally get tagged in the pills :bang: . I've also broken my knee 4 times in practice... that ranx at about a 10 :cry:

19. Jang Bong

Thanks for that Mr V - I've set up a couple of these in the past, but it always let me do that part in the flow of creating the thread. I've never noticed that thread tool was there.

We live & learn (with any luck) :)

Now everyone's going to have to come back and vote :D

20. mr_vodka

mr_vodka New Member

You're welcome JB.
    Yeah, someone really should make those menus more visible :)