How much is weight training important?

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Cain, Nov 24, 2002.

?

How much is weight training important

1. A little more focus on weights and a little less focus on traditional training

3 vote(s)
    42.9%
  2. A little more traditional training and a little lesser focus on weights

4 vote(s)
    57.1%
  1. Cain

Cain New Member

Hmm.....I thought carefully about wat should I name the choices 'cause I don't want the answer to be obvious.

Ok so how much is weight training important to u?

2. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

Weight training is essential for the modern martial athlete. Of course some do not consider themselves "athletes" but that's another story :D

Of course - there is no need to do less martial arts training just becasue you include strength training in your regimen. A good strength training program can take as little as 2 hours per week.

3. pgm316

pgm316 lifting metal

I agree, weight training is important. Amazing how many people refuse to see it as important saying technique is all that matters. Importnat but being able to beat somebody on brute force alone is just another usefull tool to have. and then again, being able to put a technique on with more power is often also more effective!

I use weights a few times a week, funny how people are more impressed with a bit of muscle than years of MA training.

4. Terry Matthes

Terry Matthes New Member

Weight training isn't essential, that's just your pov. I don't think it's essential, I am in good shape without the use of weights, and my muscles are in quite good condition. I also don't have time to weight train (which sounds like an excuse). I go to Karate 5 days a week right after work and school, on saturday and sunday I spend those days recuperating so it would not be smart to go to the gym (as my body would have no recovery time). If I didn't have to go to school I probably would, not because it's essential, but because I like to weight train as I did it before I came into the martial arts.

5. Andrew Green

Andrew Green Member

A distinction between weight training and strength training should be made. Body weight excercise can work fairly well too.

So I would say that some type of strength training is needed, whether it is with weights or not is personal preference.

6. YODA

I would categorise bodyweight exercises as endurance training - or strength endurance (Local Muscular Endurance) at best. A very important aspect but not strictly "strength training"

IMHO you need both.

7. TkdWarrior

TkdWarrior Valued Member

hmm i m one of those who'll agree with Mr green...
    u can achieve good body without weights(my body is still in very good shape, even i developed some bad habbits of eating)
    i would like to develop any stregth training direct from MA...
    -TkdWarrior-

8. YODA

(((Sigh)))

I'm Losing coun't of how many times I've said this on forums....

Yes - you can acieve a good body without weights.

Yes - you can look "in shape" without weights.

Yes - bodyweight exercises & martial arts movements will develop strength endurance.

BUT To develop and improve Strength i.e. the ability to exert maximum force, you need progressive resistance training i.e. Weights.

It's about time more martial artists started to look at themselves as athletes rather than some special oriental mystic poobah. Look at ANY athletic endeavor that requires explosive power (i.e. the application of strength at speed) and then look how they train to improve that aspect..... weights. Yes - they'll also do other things like plyometrics, but weight training is the cornerstone of an athletes strength training program.

p.s. TkdWarior - I'm a Mr Green too :D

Last edited: Nov 25, 2002
  9. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

Besides where technique fails, brute strength overcomes!!!! :D

Colin

10. pgm316

pgm316 lifting metal

I agree with what Yoda says, I've trained with weights for about 10 years now. Its been a great advantage really. Giving me a lot more strength that body weight training just doesn't do.

Apart from that you can work on different muscle groups you wouldn't otherwise develop. If you train in a gradual way without overdoing the heavy weights you won’t have problems with flexibility or speed.

11. TkdWarrior

TkdWarrior Valued Member

"p.s. TkdWarior - I'm a Mr Green too :D"
    luckily i hit nail rite on the head :D ;) actually i agree with both of u(yoda n andrew) :)
    PS: yoda i guess u wanted to write "(((((sigh))))" not "(((((sign))))", just a guess tho...
    frankly i m not totally against weights. as MAist too becoming more of atheletes it's becoming serious businesss...for any competitive MA u need to be best in shape otherwise u can loose ur bout easily..
    -TkdWarrior-

12. wayofthedragon

wayofthedragon The Defender

Very important......
    need I say more; you guys have said it all;)

13. YODA

It just MUST be important - Bruce Lee did it - Right WOTD? :p

TkdWarrior: Long live the edit button! ;)

14. Cain

Cain New Member

I feel that weight training should be used as a supplement to our martial arts training u see? I would concentrate more on freestyle exercises but u get my idea that weight training should be used as a supplement. It is just wat I feel....I never went that heavily on weights though....
    |Cain|

Last edited: Nov 26, 2002