How much is too much weight to lift for martial arts?

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by tooksomechin_na, Jul 24, 2017.

1. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

I would heavily suggest you hire a trainer who can guide you through the process.

axelb and Dead_pool like this.
  2. AndrewTheAndroid

AndrewTheAndroid A hero for fun.

I concur with this. With proper strength training I think you will fly past 150 lbs.

3. axelb

axelb Master of Office Chair Fu

I concur!

You need a plan, and a trainer to keep you on track, there is a lot more to it than just lifting 150lbs for more reps.
    300lbs is achievable, you just need the correct direction :)

Dead_pool likes this.
  4. Morik

Morik Well-Known Member Supporter MAP 2017 Gold Award

A knowledgeable, high quality trainer will be somewhat expensive, but if you can afford it I think it is worth it. I weight lift with a trainer once a week and it really helps me a lot (motivation to go, ensuring proper technique, working on the things that will help you in the areas that are important to you and your physical activities (instead of extraneous things that won't help it), etc etc).

5. Dr.Alireza

Dr.Alireza Valued Member

if you gain weight as in muscles it should not make you slower if anything you should be just as fast as you were before. now people think thinner is faster but it comes down to a person and the type of training that person does. their are special ways to train to become fast in striking with hands and legs or weapons. and a lot of time people that want to increase the speed do special training for it.

6. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

There are minimums I advise all martial artists to strive for so their bodies are conditioned to withstand the rigours of training, e.g. deadlifting once or twice a barbell weighing at least twice as much as you will ensure your back muscles are strong enough to kick with full power.

There will come a point however when trying to lift more weight exceeds the needs of your martial art, and trying to do both activities at the same time will increase the risk of overtraining and injury.

Martial artists should lift to get better at martial arts, not to get better at lifting weights.

Mitch, Dead_pool and axelb like this.
  7. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

That's an excellent point.

Boyd in his functional strength training books expands in this to include all athletes.

So for example once you can squat twice your weight with good mobility/stability, moving onto single leg squat variations are more productive with less damage to the body.

Van Zandt and axelb like this.
  8. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

This is why one should life "less weight with fast speed" than lift "heavy weight with slow speed".

9. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Your statement is not accurate.

Sport-specific strength training has to develop the exact kind of strength of the muscle groups that determines technical proficiency of a given sport. Sport-specific strength exercises reproduce the dynamic characteristics of the sports technique and, to various degrees, the spatial characteristics of it, but preferably with greater resistance. Martial artists should therefore lift heavy weight with explosive speed.

icefield, axelb and Dead_pool like this.
  10. icefield

icefield Valued Member

Martial artists should also as far as possible stay away from anything with the word functional in the title

Van Zandt and axelb like this.
  11. Morik

Asking from a place of complete ignorance: Why?

12. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

"Functional training" more often than not refers to methods that demand exercising in multiple planes of motion or unstable surfaces for the majority of the workout or training programme. This can be ineffective and even detrimental to trainees' progress and health.

Rational training is by its very nature functional because it improves trainees’ functioning in their sport or whatever physical activity they train for. Good coaches know this and can produce results to demonstrate it; they therefore have no need to explicitly state as such. Doing so typically demonstrates ignorance of rational training principles and poor coaching ability.

icefield likes this.
  13. icefield

icefield Valued Member

Umm what he said above

Add to that real world functional training is athletes learning to brace and move on a stable platform ie a field of play or in a ring, not balancing on a ball standing still trying to do an exercise.

The most functional thing an athlete can learn to do is to brace whilst lifting a load, ie squat and deadlift for example, or learning to brace whilst moving a load, farmers walk etc

And the best way to turn strength into functional strength is to get strong then do your sport,

14. Morik

Huh, so my weight trainer (who, in my non-expert opinion is the highest quality trainer I've worked with, out of 5 or so that I can remember) advertises as Functional (among other things).
    He's never had me balance on any unstable surfaces/etc. The exercises he has me do are in my training log, generally focusing on core, hip, and shoulder stability (hip & shoulder stability because I keep injuring or tweaking my hips & shoulders). We do things like farmers walk, hold static positions (e.g., press & hold a kettlebell overhead for 20s), and training me to use the correct muscles for certain movements. (E.g., when lateral stepping to the right, I use my lateral quad much more than I should--we are working on getting the glute to do most of that work. In general my whole posterior chain was under-developed.)

Are you saying in general the term 'Functional' is misused (e.g., as a buzzword) and comes with silly stuff attached?

Last edited: Nov 21, 2017
  15. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Functional has become a cliché and is often quoted in advertising blurb. The trick is to avoid the people who use it to mean, "I'll get you to do stupid stuff stood on a bosu ball."

16. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

You may talk about straight up lift. I'm talking about general weight training. For example, if you use heavy weight and explosive speed on weight pulley, you may hurt your elbow joint.

Heavy weight and fast speed can be dangerous for your body.

[​IMG]

17. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

If you use maximum speed to pull over 60 lb, you will have more than 80% chance to hurt your elbow joints.

18. icefield

icefield Valued Member

Also these exercises used to be called prehab work and we're done 10min blocks before or after your main training, or as part of low impact conditioning circuits, unless you are seriously deconditioned, or coming back from an injury they really shouldn't be the main workout

Dead_pool likes this.
  19. Dead_pool

20. Dead_pool

Another example

Only because, I have his books, and generally they seem to make sense, and the bits I've worked on (generally squatting since my knee injury) has worked great. If there's a problem with his stuff I'd definitely like to know about it!