How much is too much home defense?

Discussion in 'Self Defence' started by NeonxBurst, Aug 9, 2004.

1. Kenpo Kicker

Kenpo Kicker New Member

Man your self defense laws are horrible :( . I have no idea why they would allow this.

2. Keikai

Keikai Banned Banned

That would probably make you pretty irresponsible and prove me right!

3. MattN

MattN Valued Member

Some ppl are a lil too sympathetic to everyone and let burglars and criminals get away with that kind of thing; I think the term for these ppl is "liberals"

4. Ular Sawa

Ular Sawa Valued Member

I'm glad you explained a little about your father. I was having a bit of trouble with the Iowa part. Typically, you assess the threat level and respond accordingly with your security measures. Unless your father has some valid reason to fear for the safety of the family, it sounds like money is being thrown away to satisfy his personal interest in security. :confused:

A big dog and a good alarm system will normally be enough to prevent you from being a victim of crime. Keep in mind that predators will go for easy targets whether the predator is in the African jungle or the urban jungle.

5. NeonxBurst

NeonxBurst 1st Black

I think the old man's lost it myself with all this security, but who am I to tell him he's wrong... We live in Iowa for God sakes.... nothing is ever too exciting here....
    Greg I'm sorry I was so rude, it wasn't right, but it was the day and my mood don't think just because I was being a pain that day that that's how I usually am because usually I'm calm and collected, but I don't know I think that was the day I had to fix our septic tank so I was in a pretty crappy mood:D

-NeonxBurst

6. kenpoguy

kenpoguy The Last Dragon

<q>but I don't know I think that was the day I had to fix our septic tank so I was in a pretty crappy mood</q>

He was literally in a crappy mood that day :D

7. MattN

MattN Valued Member

crappy place too :) oh the cheesy-ness is overwhelming

8. kenpoguy

kenpoguy The Last Dragon

reply....

so needless to say he was a having a crappy time which put him in a crappy mood while trying to fix his crappy tank(Er.... septic tank) in a rather crappy place :D

9. Vanir

Vanir lost my sidhe

Back when I was 20, at my work we were having serious trouble with some beefy, older mechanics at an adjacent workshop so I once brought in my martial arts weapons and placed them all around the walls of ours. Specifically so that no matter where you stood there was a pretty intimidating looking weapon plainly close by.

See, I'd made the mistake of telling the boss of my strong martial arts devotion and he was an avid reader of martial arts fiction. There was a second workshop he frequently had one or two detailers manning by themselves and at this one, these mechanics started bullying an 18yr old coworker. The manager who was with him tried to step in and was threatened with spanners and a lot of intimidation. Nothing too exciting for the police but enough to make the place miserable for a couple of weeks.
    The boss tried talking to them and came away with a similar response and then (to my sheer amazement) approaches me to "sort it out."
    Although 20 and barely 50kg at the time (110lbs), apparently my listing of martial arts ranging from judo to budo taijutsu and happo hikenjutsu made me sound like Mr Fixit. I used to jump around a bit back then too and probably threw the occasional back-leg hook kick (spinning kick from the movies) a few times during a social for fun.

So he dropped me off at the other workshop the day after things were getting pretty serious and I had my trusty MA equip bag.

Got an instant reputation as a psycho (I don't quite think it was the action he was expecting) and he never asked me to "sort" something out again (thankfully), but trouble simply ended immediately with the mechanics.
    I thought I'd actually handled it well. I'd casually laid out all the weapons, had a smoke and told the 18yr old who was the primary subject of the bullying not to worry, feel confident that wherever he now was in the workshop he had a weapon handy.
    And did my work.

:)

10. Tittan

Tittan Valued Member

I'd say gasoline and liquid hand-soap, but that's just me :D
    Also, to make very nice mines to put in your backyard all you need is a few flat stones, some nails, a few shotgun shells and some imagination... Just make sure your rotweiler, kid or wife doesn't step on it... :Angel:

About home security. Here in Norway it's enough to have a sticker in the window claiming you've got an alarm system. 99.9% of all burglaries/home invasions happen in houses without those stickers... And also, the security companies sell alarms for $0.25 (and maybe $20 a month after it's installed) so it's quite cheap. Most people do have a shotgun or hunting rifle, but due to some heavy laws they're taken apart, and stored in several rooms in the houses.

And in my city, the police has banned the sale of "karate-sticks" meaning EVERYTHING you can use to hit someone over the head that is used in martial arts. Knives and swords though, are seen as decoration and sold to everybody. (Unless the blade is longer than 25 cm. If so, you need to be older than 16!!) :Alien:

11. marcusknight

marcusknight Valued Member

hmmmmm my security cosists of a burglar alarm, an average lock and a mad cat

12. shotokanwarrior

shotokanwarrior I am the One

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Oh stop!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

13. shotokanwarrior

shotokanwarrior I am the One

Yes, you sodding well should, just because we're young doesn't mean everything we say is malarkey and shouldn't be taken seriously.

14. Keikai

Keikai Banned Banned

Its just that there is always one who spoils it for the majority, cant stand kids with over ego's unless they know there facts which generally they dont at a young age, a lot read something then pass it on just likw chinese whispers!!

15. CanuckMA

CanuckMA Valued Member

I live in Canada. My front door is unlocked most of the time.

16. Hapkido

Hapkido New Member

unless your dad actually held the gun with you as you shot it, i highly doubt you could keep a .44 magnum under control....**** a .45 ACP is pushing it for a 7 year old....

17. Speed

Speed New Member

My home security is pretty simple. Thick kick resistent doors, two deadbolts on each door (the doors have no glass, prevents someone from breaking the glass and just reaching in to unlock the deadbolts), 3 american bull dogs, 2 pit bull terriers, 2 cats (they're big mean and nasty putting up with those dogs), and 3 firearms (22cal, .38 special, 12ga) and myself.

I live one street over from some projects and thats all the security I have. The original poster, if the story is infact true, probably lives in an up-scale neighborhood in a the subburbs and has all that security? Waste of money.

Do some research, POOR people are victims of home invasions and thief more than middle-class or the rich.

18. Keikai

Keikai Banned Banned

Yes,

But the middle class have more time on their hands to make up ********!!

LOL

19. Lobsang

Lobsang Guest

Are home security consists of locks double glazing and psychic protection.
    And I'm not kidding.
    the only crime we’ve had round hear recently was a cupola of years ago every shed and garage on are street was broken into except awes. And its probably is the lest protected.