How much is too much home defense?

Discussion in 'Self Defence' started by NeonxBurst, Aug 9, 2004.

1. NeonxBurst

NeonxBurst 1st Black

How much is too much? This is very debatable between many people. So what's all of your opinions on this topic. Also what kind of home defense do you have?

For my house our whole perimeter around the house like the fence is electrified, we have security cameras, not to mention our door is electrified, and all the upstairs bedrooms have pistols, and my dad's room has a shot gun, and for the downstairs we have room alarms and we have two rots, one for the basement and one for the outside yard. Good thing we have an upstairs bathroom because I don't wanna remember the password for the W.C. when I gotta pee.:D

2. MattN

MattN Valued Member

I'm all for home security, but that seems a lil intense for Iowa. Your dad like in the witness protection program or something?

Note: I know nothing about Iowa

3. Taliar

Taliar Train harder!

Do you live in Fort Knox or something. I know the UK is usually safer than the U.S. but that seems alot of protection to me. Can you walk the streets at night etc.

4. JohnnyX

JohnnyX Map Addict

There's got to be a story to all that security. :confused:

5. UKscrapper

UKscrapper I kick ass therefore I am

If someone broke into your house all they have to do is use one of your own weapons against you. Also if there are children in the house it greatly multiplies the chances of having a fire-arm related accident.
    In the UK no-one keeps a handgun and only a few people own rifles or shotguns and I think there is a good reason for this.

6. kenpoguy

kenpoguy The Last Dragon

Cant help but wonder if the handle to the bathroom sink is a detachable dagger :)

7. Keikai

Keikai Banned Banned

No but the toilet paper is steel lined in case someone attacks you while having a poo so you can strangle them then wipe up!!

8. Guerilla Fists

Guerilla Fists New Member

I think someone in your family is a mob boss turned narc in the witness protection program.

9. alex_000

alex_000 You talking to me?

We dont need home security around here.A kitchen knife is enough.

10. kenpoguy

kenpoguy The Last Dragon

Actually to correct you, you left out one detai. Along with the metal toilet paper there is also the toilet:) With a single flush of the handle not only will it flush the contents of whats in the toilet but also spray pepper spray out of the hidden pipes spread out throughout the room. And if thats not enough, the contents in the toilet is explosive :D

11. Guerilla Fists

Guerilla Fists New Member

Amen!

I remember three halloweens ago after my folk's had long gone to bed and me and my girlfriend gave out the last bits of candy over an hour ago hearing my gate being opened. I told my girl to go in my room and hide and grabbed my dad. I grabbed a pinata bat on the way to his room and handed him a little league alumnim one that had been under my bed for years.
    He went out his bedroom door and I went out to the laundry door closer to the gate and we headed towards the center of our backyard.
    Not seeing anything suspicious initially we were surprised when someone flew out the bushes back towards the gate attempting to maneuver around me. I just barely caught his shin and his shoe was left behind.
    The point is that most household items can be improvised for home security situations.

12. Judderman

Judderman 'Ello darlin'

You should base your security on the probable dangers you might encounter. Surely having a good intruder system should be enough, afterall a criminal has to bypass this system in order to get to you. This should be measured with a good dose of common sense. If you are stupid then all the systems in the world aren't going to help.

This poses a question, if a high profile security system can deter the majority of oppertunist criminals, does it send a flag up to determined criminals that you obviously have something valuable to protect?

13. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

thats impressive. we have two dogs for protection, and thats it. hell we hardly ever lock our house. I dont think there has been a burglary in my area since I have lived here.

14. Kagebushi

Kagebushi New Member

lol i have 3 swords in my room and my dad has a pistol thats never been shot(i think) thats about it other than the door locks.

15. Matt_Bernius

Matt_Bernius a student and a teacher

That's the type of stuff that scares me. The idea of a pistol that's never been fired as a panacea for home self defense. If you're not out on the range working with the gun and getting used to it, its a very dangerous weapon to try and use in a home invasion situation. Those are the circumstances that get the wrong people shot.

- Matt

16. NeonxBurst

NeonxBurst 1st Black

No, not Fort Knox..... Yet....

My dad's an ex-government agent under the Clinton Administration, and the Bush Sr. Administration. That's why we have all this security stuff, and yes my dad does scare me, but I have to say I was one of the only 7 year olds able to fire a 44 Mag. Thanks to my dad I know how to make home made napalm:D

Also the metal toilet paper and the exploding toilet are very interesting ideas, but I'm expecting the crazy man to install a butt cheek recognition system on the toilet or something, and no we have no dagger in the sink, every one knows it's hidden in the plunger:D

-NeonxBurst

17. G_Man

G_Man New Member

Seems like a bit much for Davenport IA...

18. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

My household? .... a neurotic yappy cocker spaniel and a cute skilled martial artist.

Or is it neurotic skilled martial artist and a cute yappy cocker spaniel :D ??? either way I think I've got a handle on home defenses :eek: :D

19. cybermonk

cybermonk New Member

Thats a heck lot of security!

I dont have any firearms in my house, all I have are my 20 or so kung fu weapons.

20. MattN

MattN Valued Member

Kinda reminds me of something I read about USMC Lt. Col. Oliver North and his $16,000 security system(government seems to be scaring ppl). I get the impression your dad wasn't doin 9-5 in the office. So mind telling us what he did (I'm pretty curious now), or are we not allowed to know?

Last edited: Aug 9, 2004