How much does it cost to become a black belt at your club?

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do' started by johntm, Jul 16, 2009.

1. johntm

johntm TKD Beast

How much do you have to pay in testing fees, etc. to become a black belt?

In my club, we have two types of memberships. One year, and three year (if you sign up for the three year one, you are in the "Black Belt Club" or BBC because that's normally how long it takes to get one at my club.) BBC members normally get discounts on stuff, normally 10%.

Anyway, the basic cost for just the test is $350, two payments of $175. But they have black belt prep classes, which are pretty much mandatory, and it's $150 for 10 1.5 hour classes. I don't think BBC members pay less for that. But we can also buy new uniforms, with black collars instead of white ones, for anywhere from $45 (for BBC members) and $55 to $150 (for BBC members) and $175. Also, a Kukkiwon certificate (I forget exactly what they called it) can be ordered for $125, which I think would be cool to have.

I'm BBC, so that's a little less, but it's still gonna be like $800 dollars.

2. TheWaywardSon

TheWaywardSon Habitual Line Stepper

Since we're not affiliated we get by on the cheap when it comes to belts and promotions, no certifying boards after all.

Memberships a month to month deal, if you come that month pay some dues to help keep to doors open, if not then don't worry about it. For an capable student black belt testing can be allowed around the 2 year mark with regular attendance and out of class practice with a class schedule of 3 classes a week 2 hrs a night with another hour of free practice after class if you wish to stay.

Generally we ask for the student to pay for their breaking materials and the cost of the belt, outside of that the only thing that's asked is that they help out with the supplies for their promotion ceremony if they pass the grading. All totaled, your looking at about $80 to test for black belt. In the case of repeat testing we ask that they replace the breaking materials if they actually used up those they bought the first time.

Keep in mind though that since were not affiliated any certificates through the Kukkiwon or other such certifying org that one might seek are their own priority and responsibility. Some folks feel the need to go for it, some don't so we felt it would be best to let the student decide their own path in that regard.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2009
  3. YellowFury

YellowFury Valued Member

i personally don't endorse black belt clubs. To me it's like, guaranteeing someone a black belt as long as they pay and show up... Although, that's not to say black belts from that program aren't legitimate. If anything I respect the fact that they are committed to training.

Having said that, I paid about 75 bucks US for mine. I got regular training for free, and when I was ready I went through the grading process, paid my fees, and upon successful completion (IE- actually passing the grading) I got my belt. I don't know if that's the best way to do it, but that's what I went through. I also "got" a gi for free... although technically I haven't picked it up yet so meh. Honestly i like the bjj model: the instructor just gives you the belt when you're ready.

4. Aegis

Aegis River Guardian Admin Supporter

$350 for a TEST?? That strikes me as obscene. Even for an expensive class you'd expect to be able to get more than 30 hours of training for that sort of cost. As far as I'm concerned there's no justification for such a ridiculous testing fee. Within my organisation standard gradings are usually £15 (somewhere around $25) with free retests if you fail, while I think the black belt gradings come to a little more because there are fewer people to hire a venue for and more high-ranking instructors required. However, I still think it's limited to somewhere between £30-50 per candidate.

Not TKD, I know, but I think it's quite useful to put this cost into perspective so that you can realise just how much you're being ripped off...

5. Kraen

Kraen Valued Member

At my club the cost of the actual test is 100$. Not sure if you have to pay again if you fail. You can pay for 3 months of classes at a time, or more, if you so wish to. It's 220$ for 3 months. 3 classes a week for an hour and a half each. Works out to be about 5-6 bucks a class. Extra classes are available if enough people show interest. Problem is getting enough people to show interest.

I must agree; you are getting ripped off!

-Kraen

6. Liam Cullen

Liam Cullen Valued Member

£70, which includes cost of both the test and the Kukkiwon cert.

7. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

Why would you ever grade to black in that club? $350 is a rip off, whichever way you slice it.

8. liero

liero Valued Member

It does sound rather lousy!

for tkd I pay, 100 australian dollars a month (65 US?)

that covers all colour belt gradings, insurance, a uniform, and any classes on the 6 day a week schedule.

When I did my 1st dan cert. I had to pay for the Kukkiwon certificate, but the fee didnt even go to my instructor, just straight to KOREAAAA for the piece of paper and some accreditation.

This black belt club business sounds rather ridiculous IMO...Having to pay for 3 years training up front! I Dont knw what im doing next week let alone in 3 years!

9. dark belt

dark belt Valued Member

At my club the 1st dan test costs 600 bucks, and it includes Kukkiwon certification. (True fact: Kukkiwon charges less than 100 bucks for 1st dan registration, so anything charged above that amount is profit for your school.)

At my school, though, students must earn a bo dan (i.e. temporary black belt). This test is 300 bucks, and it pre-dates the 1st dan test by about 6-12 months. Further, my school requires black belt "tune up" tests. These happen about 2 to 3 times a year, and they are 50 bucks a pop.

All-in-all, to become and maintain black belt status at my school is very, very expensive. I transferred into my club and did not jump through all of those hoops (nor do I intend to as I feel that it's a gross money grab). The above 600 dollar number is just for 1st dan; the prices climb pretty steeply for upper dans.

While I do believe that earning a black belt should involve sacrifices of all sorts (including financial), I think the above prices (and those in the first post in this thread) are unjustifiable.

10. Anth

Anth Daft. Supporter

$600 for a grading??!!! I think I'll stick with my current karate club where we only pay £15 for first dan.

11. STKDH

STKDH Valued Member

is that 800 just for the grading or does that include all your classes certificates etc. In my club each kup\colour belt grading is £35 i think about 50$us i think and there are 9 grading then a final grading for 1st dan which is £70 all together £385 in grading fees over arrow. 3 years. Each students pays for there fees as they train however if they pay monthly it works out half the price.

12. TKDstudent

TKDstudent Valued Member

IMO it is simply to hard to compare costs across the board, as different geographical areas will have very different standards of living. In some locales the price of real estate & rental space is thru the roof. In other places many schools, community or Church groups give the space for free or for a nominal fee. I have always found that the better way to compare is to check all prices, including the hard to find hidden fees from school to school in your own general area. Then one must add in how often one is allowed to train & of course the quality of instruction. We use no contracts, no programs, you pay monthly if you wish with no obligation to stay. We prefer it that way, as I don't want to waste time teaching somebody that doesn't want to be there. We offer certain incentives of discounts if students pay on a regular or steady basis. Our test fees are on a graduating fee scale & include everything. We offer equipment for sale at reasonable prices & students are free to purchase eleswhere & at times do, no problem at all. There are no real hidden fees & few ever pass the tests outright & there is never any fee to retry, redo or retest. We work with each individual till they have successfully redone any & all weak areas noticed when we formally evaluated them. They have a choice of BB certs & pay whatever the organizational fee is if they decide to apply for them. In our area we are competitive or beat other prices. In our area there are few real TKD schools, as most are mcdojangs. Sadly they have a much bigger student base, even though they may charge more. We have no control over that. I find most people don't really want MAs, they want to buy a belt or participate in a supervised physical activity that teaches students to say YES SIR! & maybe sweat a little. We do that as well, but they sweat a lot, an awful lot, often & over a long period of time

13. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

If you're paying multiple hundreds of currency units for a grading, you are being ripped off.

Karate Union of Great Britain dan gradings are 50 quid and although I find that a little steep, I acknowledge that you're paying for the time of some quality people to grade you.

14. johntm

johntm TKD Beast

I don't think we were on the same page with that. It's just a three year membership, no guarantee for promotion and ranks at all.

Also, I'm thinking we might have a "board"of people testing us, and because these tests can go for 6 hours (our last one actually went 8) I'd imagine they'd want some pay for it.

15. YellowFury

YellowFury Valued Member

I was just speaking in generalities. Usually when you see black belt clubs in my area, they're mostly kiddie programs where the instructor guarantees a bb for the kid as long as the parents pay. it leaves a sour taste in my mouth.

16. johntm

johntm TKD Beast

I see what you're saying. At any club, even some good ones, some people earn a black belt by just coming to classes and being a member long enough, they don't have true black belt skill. My aim is to not be one of those :p

I'm pretty sure we have a month-by-month membership plan too.

17. TKD Dad

TKD Dad Valued Member

Are you talking about TOTAL cost from white belt to 1st Dan? Or just the 1st Dan testing itself?

Just the testing fee from Cho Dan Bo (probationary Black Belt) to 1st Dan at my son's school is $450 + 90 (Kukkiwon Certificate). He does get a belt with his name, and the schools name on it, and a new uniform.

If your talking about total cost, I'll have to post something tomorrow. I have the price sheet for all testing at home.

18. johntm

johntm TKD Beast

$350 for test form high red to first dan probationary, I dunno if theres another cost to get first dan. Optional uniform, prep classes, Kukkiwon cert.

19. YellowFury

YellowFury Valued Member

wow, theses tests are EXPENSIVE. I don't really understand paying 90 bucks for a piece of paper, and 450 for a belt and uniform. I was under the impression that a black belt costs about 10 bucks T_T. What is the profit amount for instructors who charge for tests? (I don't mean this in an inflammatory way) What are the costs for putting on a test, how is the money allocated?

20. johntm

johntm TKD Beast

I don't know what the instructors make, but I assume there will be a few people grading our performance, and given the length of the tests at my school, they'd want some reimbursement.