How much carbohydrate?

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Victoria, Apr 17, 2008.

1. Victoria

Victoria Pretzel In Training

How many grams of carbs do you aim for each day?

At the moment my aim is 10% of my total calories, 38g. It's very low IMO and I wouldn't advise anyone go that low - but as some of you know it's due to a medical condition. It's definitely working out for me!

2. Yohan

Yohan In the Spirit of Yohan Supporter

Hell I don't know . . .

I'll probably eat a good deal today - oats for breakfast, some fruit with my snacks, and carbs in my snacks, so I'll eat 3 meals with carbs - one is 100% carbs, the other two are ~50% carbs.

3. Gary

Gary Vs The Irresistible Farce Supporter

Less than 50g, and that's on a training day. I've been having a lot of good results keeping fat high and protein fairly high and getting most of my carbs from veg and the odd bit of fruit. No lack of energy or any of the supposed drawbacks of cutting carbs so far.

4. Victoria

Same here, I'm doing fine on high protein and fat, no cravings or any such nonsense and I'm dropping weight nicely with more stable blood sugar. The only time I suffer is when there's a few cans of cider in the fridge :cry:

I'd like to eat a bit more carb, maybe 100g, but it'll depend on whether my body likes the idea!

5. flaming

flaming Valued Member

Im no eating low carbs at all. I've just allways eaten more or less the same amount. Vegtables and protein cost more than carbohydrates, but peanut butter is cheap for the amount of calories, and it tastes nicer than ferero rochie :p
    I like peanut butter but arent omega 6s bad or is carbohydrate mor inflamatory than omega 6's?

Braising steak and eggs are cheap. Chicken and turkey are cheap but im not comfortable with the caged birds.

I have a 1kg bag of frozen veg a day, any one eat more veg than that?

6. Yohan

I usually eat 10-15 servings of fruits and vegetables every day.

7. CosmicFish

CosmicFish Aleprechaunist

By the power of fitday, I can tell you that over the past month I have eaten an average of 296g of carbs per day. That works out at 41% of my calorie intake.

8. Gary

By the power of fitday, I can tell you that over the past 3 days I have eaten an average of 28g of carbs per day.

9. CosmicFish

CosmicFish Aleprechaunist

:eek: OMG :eek:

10. Yohan

ROFL - this is one of the most awesome things I've read all day.

not sure why.

11. Taliesin

Taliesin Valued Member

Since discovering fitday only a couple of days ago, I now know that I'm eating an avergae of 361 grams of carbs a day, representing 38% of my total calories.

I don't feel any differnt for knowing it though, life was simpler when I didn't know :p:p

12. Victoria

By the power of fitday again - my average carbs for the last week is 68g.

Unfortunately I've had just as many calories from alcohol :rolleyes:

13. Victoria

Coma - as your carbs are in the same range as mine - do you ever worry about not getting in much fruit/veggies? Or calicum from milk, etc?

14. flaming

flaming Valued Member

Coma do you poo?

15. Gary

That 28 grams doesn't count fibre, since it's not going towards my energy expenditure I discount any. This means I can get plenty of veg in my diet, more than most of the population does anyway. If you're worried about calcium, eat more cheese! :D

My pooping is very healthy Flaming, thanks for your concern.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2008
  16. flaming

flaming Valued Member

http://www.nutritiondata.com/facts-C00001-01c20c0.html
    I thought it was 7 g of carbs and the fibre was seperate but further down it says 6.6 carbs and 2.6 of them are fibre. I've never seen fibre count as carbohydrate before. Unless the target audience of the website are ruminants.

17. Victoria

I don't count fibre either, but most of the veg I eat has carbs, and corn has more than 28g in one cup!

18. Victoria

I hadn't until recently. I couldn't enter an item that had 24kcal and 10.1g fibre into my fitday, because it counts fibre as a carb and assumes a calorie value for it. Very annoying.

19. Gary

And for anyone that still wonders about my pooping... >link<

20. g-bells

g-bells Don't look up!

50-65% of my diet is carbs