How much are you paying for your martial arts lessons

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by oneninja, May 28, 2004.

1. radiopeople

radiopeople New Member

Average in the Pacific Northwest seems to be around $80 a month.

2. Verx

Verx "Darkness Approaches"

Free! :D

I teach and my dad does the buisness side for the dojo.

3. Balrog

Balrog Valued Member

Free right now.

4. E-Rocker

E-Rocker Valued Member

About $160/ month now, which is a bit steep, but the school is good & in addition to classes, I can use the facilities (weight room, cardio equipment, heavy bags, wooden dummy, etc.) 7 days a week. And best of all, they have showers! (the lack of showers was my main complaint about my old school, since I lived 40 miles from there & usually worked up a good sweat in class).

5. SnorriSturluson

SnorriSturluson Valued Member

college/university classes

Here is the US the best value in martial arts instruction is in community colleges and state universities, where extension schools will normally let any adult or older teenager take classes. The physical facilities are already built at taxpayer expense and the institutions are tax exempt. In CA a community college physical education course costs about $40 for a fifteen-week semester, an incredible bargain compared to a commercial dojo at $75-$100 per month. State universities are more expensive (I pay $170/10 week term) but usually have nicer gyms. It can be hard to find striking styles practiced with contact for liability reasons, but I have taken a full contact boxing class at a local community college. Colleges usually have a decent level of
    bu!!$h1t control, so there are lower quotients of "36th generation Shaolin monks," "ninjutsu masters," and "ancient secret arts" than in the general MA community. Not sure if there is an equivalent to community college in the UK but I bet it is possible to take classes at local universities without enrolling as a student. Also, check the YMCA or equivalent.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2007
  6. JHughes

JHughes New Member

in my club it's 1:50 per session for and hour and half twice a week then it goes down to fifty pence per session when your a black belt.

2500 per year of any currency is a lot

7. Mahke

Mahke New Member

£39.50/month - the school does 5 classes a week, and my fee would cover all that but I only do 3 nights (since the other two nights are at a venue a couple suburbs over). Each class minimum 90mins, usually closer to 2hrs.

Pretty good deal I reckon; would be even better if I could be bothered to drive 10 mins to go to the other classes LOL

8. rogerclf1

rogerclf1 Valued Member

our sifu charges $65.00 a month and that includes Tues and Thurs 1.5 hours each. Sat and Sun 1.5 to 4 hours each. So I train anywhere from 7 to 10 hours a week.

9. Kenpo_Iz_Active

Kenpo_Iz_Active Greek Warrior-not 300

wow thats a lot a $$$. to be honest, i pay nuthin'. i train w/ a close relative. Unfortunatey, i can only do 2-3 hours every Sat, cuz he works all day.

10. flammee

flammee Valued Member

130 € per year. Free acces to dojo whenever it's not reserved by jujutsu, bjj and aikido people that train in the same dojo. Three classes with teacher, two free classes.. I train about 4-6 times a week, I trained last year 118 times, This year I will get at least 130 training times, so it makes one euro for one class.

11. Holmes

Holmes Valued Member

149 a month(the pit)6 days a week,classes 2hours each,taking ,kickboxing Conditioning,hawiian kempo,and bjj ,theres also classes in the mouning but I dont go cause of work

12. wayne649

wayne649 allie of the night

3pounds for a one and a half hour session, you dont have to go to every class and you only pay when you go, that's in both my classes (kung fu and tkd)

13. ka1

ka1 New Member

uk
    hertfordshire
    45month 3.5hrs
    twice a week
    jeet kune do, kali, bjj

www.andynugent.com

14. ambiance

ambiance Valued Member

My new style classes are;

JKD = £5.00 for an hours lesson

Wing Chun = £5.00 for 1.5 hours lesson, plus £25.00 a year for membership.

15. Isshinryukungfu

Isshinryukungfu New Member

cheap class

I would be very shy about signing a contract for anything like that. it may be just me but i do not believe you can have a predetermined time to obtain a black belt( or any belt really) , and the money is ridiculous. I train mon/tues/wed 3-9 and wed 3-6 for only 70 dollars a month. So thats what 83 cents an hr for a month?? I did have to sign a contract but the contract states that no matter what i HAVE to be in the dojo for at least three hrs a week for 6 months. This insures that anyone who signs up will come to train.

16. Zannen!

Zannen! Banned Banned

I pay far to much and spend far to much. I spend over 500 US dollars a month on training. Four to five times a week.

17. Incredible Bulk

Incredible Bulk Eat-Lift-Eat-Sleep-Grow

£30 a month

up to 5 classes a week @ 2 hours each

MMA

18. narcsarge

narcsarge Masticated Whey

:D

NOTHING!

In fact, I actually get paid $100.00 U.S. per wekk and promotions are also free. This goes for my son too!

I do drive the school's van and pick up the little kiddies for their After School program. I am an Assitant Instructor in the program too.

I train 3 nights a week, 1 hour per class. I could go 4 times a week but I would never last since I have a real job to do from 00:00am to 08:30 Mon - Fri.

(so it is more like a barter of services)

19. Incredible Bulk

Incredible Bulk Eat-Lift-Eat-Sleep-Grow

but we all know how easy this sounds in principle comapred to what the reality is like by having a full time job + gym training on top of all that

20. narcsarge

narcsarge Masticated Whey

LOL. Easy? Easy is for wimps! :D

I'll sleep when I'm dead!