How much are you paying for your martial arts lessons

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by oneninja, May 28, 2004.

1. Drusilla

Drusilla Valued Member

I pay £30 per month for 5hrs per week, then an additional £29 per year for insurance and membership to the British Tae Kwon-Do Council. I think it's very reasonable. My instructor offers discounts for other members of the same household, so I only pay £25 per month for my son. :)

2. DAMADAD

DAMADAD Valued Member

I pay $2500 dollars a year for my two boys to go to our dojo. By paying for them the rest of my family attends for free. I attend regularly along with my boys 2-3 days a week plus an extra free class a week if any of us wanted to. My wife attends Yoga and my daughter has another year to go before she is allowed to take classes. We have a fully equipped weight room, along with two boxing rings (although the other ring is kinda iffy) and tons heavy bags, speed bags of all kinds plus kicking shields and focus mitts etc available to all to use. Something like 13,000 feet of padded gymnasium, showers and lockers. Individual attention from a myriad of instructors and higher ranked students. I think its a pretty good deal and we all really like it there! You can also take time off, months in fact and they will hold your time for you until you return to training with no monetary penalty.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2007
  3. SifuJason

SifuJason Valued Member

I plan to charge $60/month for 2 90 minute classes per week when my school opens in May.

4. fruitjuice!

fruitjuice! Banned Banned

£7 ($12) for 2 hour lesson... Quite a bit.

5. TheCount

TheCount Happiness is a mindset

Ninjutsu was £30 a month for up to 6 hours a week tuition, te MA I'm going to take up now is about £3 an hour

6. FistsMcgee

FistsMcgee New Member

Thats too much.

I pay $70 month. With that I get:

Free Dobok
    Free promotions
    unlimited class time (offered 6 days a week)
    No contract
    No start up fee

I would be weary of contracts but I found out from my master that a lot of the time in order for a dojang to get loans from the bank(it is a business after all), they must prove that they have adequate funding to pay back the loan ie. John Doe is signed up to pay X amount for 2 years... I have 100 John Does at my school. Its more security for the bank mainly.

7. Taoquan

Taoquan Valued Member

Our school does this:
    $45 per month for 8 hours of Tai Chi Chuan
    $65 per month for 8 hours of Lung Mo Hsing I
    $65 per month for 8 hours of Black scorpion ground fighting
    Combine all 3 for 24 hrs a month at $130

No contracts and Imperial Wu-Tang Kung fu is invite only

Though I am a poor TCM student so I trade time for time with my instructor.

8. Canuck

Canuck New Member

Wow.

I pay 99$ for three months of kickboxing, classes are about two hours every day.

9. jamie1976

jamie1976 Valued Member

i pay £4 per 1 and 1/2 hour session there are 2 sessions per week one of wich i teach so i gain money really but the other lesson i pay £4 for. plus because im an instructor i get mates rates discounts on equipment so that helps me a little bit.

jamie :woo:

10. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

TKD £4.50 per hr
    JJJ £3.50 per hr
    M/T £3.00 per hr 1/2
    Judo £2.50 per hr 1/2

Last edited: Mar 25, 2007
  11. tom pain

tom pain I want Chewbacc for good

£1 a session (on Monday its 2 hours and on Thursdays its an hour and a half).

12. ambiance

ambiance Valued Member

£60.00 a month, I train twice a week, but classes are held every evening; we have to pay £35.00 for each grading, which is every 3 months.

Beginners is 3/4 hr and advanced was 1 hr but has now been reduced to 3/4 hr.

After 3mths they give you the option of joining 'The Black Belt Club' and you have to pay an extra £10.00 a month on top of your monthly fee.

Black Belt Club only runs once a month and they teach you a few weapons training.

So that is £860.00 a year or if you are approached about joining the exclusive 'Black Belt Club' it is £980.00 a year.

13. warken

warken New Member

Im paying $75 USD a month, that includes, my Hapkido classes 2 nights a week, Combat JuJutsu classes 1 night a week an Tae Kwon Do classes 2 nights a week, $35usd for a seminar. Overall it isnt that bad of a price. There not tryin to make a living just cover cost of overhead considering theres about 9 people in my Hapkido class.

14. Davey Bones

Davey Bones New Member

now paying $79/month for three nights a week of BJJ. Two structured classes, and one "open gym" class. Total training time is about 6 hours a week or so (classes are only an hour, but they always run closer to two!)

15. SteelyPhil

SteelyPhil Messiah of Lovelamb

£30 a month
    Monday = 1 hour and usually 15 mins - proper Wing Chun training, with forms and drills etc
    Tuesday = 1.5 hours in the Tutors garage, with bags and mats and stuff, doing more freeform things
    Wednesday - 1 hour and a bit - same as monday.

Might be moving wednesday to later in the week.
    Its fun but annoys me a bit that all the lessons are weighted towards the start of the week.
    Not particularly expensive though i suppose

16. StooDawg

StooDawg New Member

I pay about $130/month.
    Might seem a lot but for that I have the following available to me every week:
    12 scheduled beginners classes
    7 scheduled intermediate classes
    2 scheduled advance classes
    1 (3 hr)open mat session every Sunday
    1 meditation class

Although you have to have attained a certain grade to attend intermediate or advanced classes, students can attend any class their qualified for....so it pays to stick around and advance. The classes are structured in such a way that it's definitely still worthwhile for an advanced student to attend beginners classes if they can.

For about $20/month more there are also 10 scheduled Tai Chi classes a week I can attend.

17. angacam

angacam Mare Est Vita Mea

To me the amount of money is secondary though we charge $65 a month for 2 regular classes/ month, 1 saturday morning beginners class and beginning weapons class, 1 Okinawan weapons session /week and 1 Muso shinden ryu kenjitsu session/week for a total of 5 scheduled classes/week.

What would worry me is a 3 year black belt program. That says to me you are buying rank not training, as long as you pay up they get promoted wether they are learning anything or not. Just my opinion though.

18. Motz

Motz Valued Member

£4/1h30, one lesson per week. Compensating for student/teacher ratio and class time, that works out at about half the price of my guitar lessons. Excellent :cool:

19. StooDawg

StooDawg New Member

Me too!
    See my new thread..... "What does black belt really mean?" and discuss

----------
    ----------

20. Ninja Joey

Ninja Joey New Member

i think contracts are sooo stupid...if there program is good you shouldn't have to be forced to go there threw a contract...you will just stay...and the places say well you get a class free to try it out see how you like it...oyu get a little feel from that but you need like a month to see how you like the place not 1 class...i do 1 month contracts no more...there soooo dumb...see if you can just do like 1 year or month to month....that is a HUGE commitment and a LOT of $ to risk...what if your grandchild or whoever it is decides they dont like it like 4 months into it...she has a long time to wait

i pay $99 to enter the program....then $79 a month...for bjj i can go netime i like monday-saturday...the bags and gym is always open to me....classes are 1hr but always go to 2hrs

Last edited: Jun 24, 2007